Boots fitting remediation question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srhigham

Reaction score
I recently got a pair of "lightweight" leather non-custom Limmers. Went 1/2 size smaller than my usual over-the-counter shoe and boots size. After 3 trips totalling about 15 miles, I have a problem with the right boot (left is perfect). I am getting rubbing at the back of the heel, and on both heel sides slightly towards the back. Inside heel rubbing is worst, causing a blister.

I noticed dirty spots on the leather in these problem areas inside the right boot and where the ball of the foot goes before I had blisters, etc.

Not looking to give up on these. Are there any stick-on inserts or all-in-one heel inserts (that wrap around the heel?) that I could experimaent with.

Thanks

I would contact them in Intervale and see what they suggest. Maybe you could bring the boots to them and they do some "magic" with their machines/tools. or possibly recommend something you could try. I once bought a pair of non custom boots from them and they seem like really good people and always try to satisfy the customer.

I would contact them in Intervale and see what they suggest. Maybe you could bring the boots to them and they do some "magic" with their machines/tools. or possibly recommend something you could try. I once bought a pair of non custom boots from them and they seem like really good people and always try to satisfy the customer.

Superfeet make a variety of inserts with different heel profiles. Not cheap but might be worth a try. EMS usually has them in stock.

I'm going to guess that the boot is too small, the fix for which is to get the next size up. I made the same mistake with a pair of Limmer Standards. At first I hoped it was a matter of breaking them in, but the problem is that when the boot is too small, it can't flex properly. Even after almost two years, the problem never went away. (My left foot also fit perfectly.) Finally I accepted defeat and got the next size up and my feet have been happy ever since. For all their wizardry, Peter Limmer & Sons can't change the length of the insole. That said, do take Maineguy's suggestion and stop by the shop, just in case.

BTW, both Peter Limmer and a top physical therapist I know who hikes a lot both think "arch support" insoles such as Superfeet are a scam for most people.

I tried and tried to get my custom Limmers to work without success. I had such big dreams for countless hours of pleasant walking. Never happened. One of the worst purchases I ever made.

Since than I have standardized on one model of boots. I'm currently using pairs 8, 9, 10 and 11 of the same boots. For 2 pairs I had an issue with my heel getting a blister.

If your heel rubs in one place on the boot, it is possible to strectch the boot at that spot to push the leather out away from your foot. I have successfully done this myself with two pairs of boots. (this was years after the Limmers and I did not try on them, though I wish I knew about it and tried it before giving the boots away.)

This is what I did: I soaked the area to be stretched with some neatsfoot oil. I used a 1" diameter steel ball. Like a pinpball. I placed it inside the boot at the spot where I get the blister. On the outside I placed a PVC pipe connector that had an inside diameter of about 1.25" directly matching the postion of the ball. Then I took a large 8" C clamp to squeeze the ball into the leather and press it into the opening of the circle of the pipe. I needed to hold a piece on wood on the back of the pipe for a surface for the clamp. Its awkward to get it all together. One of those things where you feel like you need 3 hands. So I clamped it tight for a few days. Take the clamp off and there is a circle mark in the leather and a slight hump in the boot where it used to rub on your foot. For me this solution works for the lfe of the boots (first time), second time the boots have 190 miles so far.

I tried and tried to get my custom Limmers to work without success. I had such big dreams for countless hours of pleasant walking. Never happened. One of the worst purchases I ever made. [/QUOTE
I have had quite the opposite experience with Limmers. I've had two pair, the ultralight weight and the lightweight. The most comfortable, longest wearing, and consistently tough waterproof boots (properly cared for) that I have ever enjoyed owning. My wife also has two pairs. As soon as I get up the nerve to spend for the gas for the 5 hour drive to get there, I will get another pair.

I have had quite the opposite experience with Limmers. I've had two pair, the ultralight weight and the lightweight. The most comfortable, longest wearing, and consistently tough waterproof boots (properly cared for) that I have ever enjoyed owning. My wife also has two pairs. As soon as I get up the nerve to spend for the gas for the 5 hour drive to get there, I will get another pair.[/QUOTE] Glad it worked out so well for you.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try some inserts first, then, if that doesn't work, try John Swanson's stretching method.

Limmers are such a Labor of Love you might think your Married after multiple decades of agreeing this is never going to be quite perfect.

Maybe rather than mechanically scratching the boots, you might want to consider letting them stretch out organically until they actually fit your foot, and using Leukotape or something like it in the meantime to prevent blisters. It's been a minute since I wore hiking boots but that worked for me in the olden days thogh I remember the break-in periods being long and not especially fun.

If that style of boot does not fit you perfectly, it will not get better or make you happy now or ever. It's like a bad relationship, you hang in there hoping, but alas the ship is sinking and you just haven't jumped off yet. I wore Merrill Wilderness for years, used to buy them at the hardware store in Gorham, pretty close to Limmer's and none of the hassle of getting them. Don't get me wrong Limmer re-soled my Merrill's and he is a master boot maker for sure.

We'll see...I just put some Superfeet liners in there, but might be a few weeks before I test them out. I wonder if, contrary to TEO's suggestion, the boots are a tad too large, not too small, at least with regard to the right heel area, thus the heel has too much room and moves up and down ("heel lift"). The liner might act to move the entire foot upwards, by making the volume of the boot smaller.

BTW Peter Lmmer and sons has been sold to a new owner that had apprenticed there. They sold the building long ago but kept the shop there.

I have to go up one size on boots to get enough width. I use superfeet to eat up some heel volume and also usually end up gluing a neoprene spacer to the inner flap to keep my foot back in the boot. Yes going with boots to large can make the heel move around too much leading to heel blisters.

BTW Peter Lmmer and sons has been sold to a new owner that had apprenticed there. They sold the building long ago but kept the shop there.

I have to go up one size on boots to get enough width. I use superfeet to eat up some heel volume and also usually end up gluing a neoprene spacer to the inner flap to keep my foot back in the boot. Yes going with boots to large can make the heel move around too much leading to heel blisters.
Limmers were the go to 5 decades ago when they bounced off of kissing the AMC’s derriere for all the croo. But really folks technology has moved on.

We'll see...I just put some Superfeet liners in there, but might be a few weeks before I test them out. I wonder if, contrary to TEO's suggestion, the boots are a tad too large, not too small, at least with regard to the right heel area, thus the heel has too much room and moves up and down ("heel lift"). The liner might act to move the entire foot upwards, by making the volume of the boot smaller.

Which is your longer foot? If you went down a half-size from your typical shoe size, then it is unlikely that a boot would be too large. Do you have unusually low-volume feet? Or unusually narrow heels? What are you wearing for socks?

Also, what is the break-in protocol and have you been following it?