Bromley VT Area Weekend trip 1/24-25

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Sr

Team Member
Reaction score
I want to start out in the Bromley Mt area and hike to an overnightable spot and camp then make the trip back to the ski area the next day.

My son is skiing in the area and I do not ski.

AT or Long Trail matters not I just want to go.

Any good suggestions and or willing companions.

Early start on 1/24 Sat. and back on Sun, 1/25.

There is a beautiful, brand new shelter about one mile south of the Bromley Mountain summit on the AT. It was just built last fall -- the night I stayed in it, the trail crew was still there doing work. I don't know, however, how broken out the trail will be at all -- the hike up to the Bromley summit is partly up one of the ski trails and I'm not sure if that will be a problem. The view from the summit observation deck was one of my favorites in Vermont (though it was also one of the few mountains I climbed on a clear day too.)

I can give you more info if you'd like when I get home to my notes... (I'm at work right now.) If you have the Vermont AT guidebook, the new shelter is located about a mile north of the campsites listed in the book (the campsites have been removed.)

Another option would be the Spruce Mountain Shelter -- it's a little farther south of Bromley on the AT. That shelter actually had a sliding door and a wood stove (though I don't know whether it worked.)

Let me know if you need more info or mileages for either of these shelters.

Hope that helps!
-- Ivy

Thanks Ivy,

The more info the better as I really want to make this trip.
I tried to get around to it last year and could not.

Professional choices have changed things and I now have more time and having lost a pound or two recently, I have more energy as well.

Thanks again,

Barry

I can't attest to whether these roads are plowed and I'm not sure what kind of mileage you're looking for but here's some more info:

Starting at the AT parking area at the intersection of Route 11 & 30 in Manchester area, and hiking North, it's about 1.7 miles to the new Bromley Mountain Shelter and then one mile to the top of Bromley. A longer and _much_ tougher hike would be to go from Route 11/30, over the top of Bromley, Styles & Peru Peaks to the Peru Peak Shelter -- a total of 9.8 miles, one way. Styles Peak also has a nice viewpoint and the shelter is situated in a pretty spot near a river.

If you hiked south from the 11/30 parking area, it's 2.8 miles to the Spruce Peak Shelter, which is the one with the door. I don't remember Spruce Peak having any views, but if you continued on for another 1.1 miles (partly on a dirt road) there is a nice view of the Manchester Valley from Prospect Rock. It wasn't well marked though, so it may be tough to find in the snow.

It's tough to make a good overnight trip in the area because most of the access points are fire or dirt roads, so they may not be plowed in the winter. If the Arlington-West Wardsboro Road is maintained in winter, you could hike Stratton Mountain and stay at the Stratton Pond Shelter, which is another great AT hike in that general area. It's seven miles from the road to that shelter.

All of these ideas, assume you don't mind backtracking on Sunday though.

Hope that helps!

- Ivy