Bug spray advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuck

Reaction score
Looking for bug spray recommendations. I haven't had much luck finding an acceptable bug deterrent solution. Would appreciate other's thoughts on what has worked for them. Thanks

Funny you posted this when you did. I've actually been doing a lot of reading on this too. This seems to be one of those things where what works for one person often doesn't work for others. And there are a lot of old wives tales out there about various "tricks" that don't work.

I prefer DEET based products and Ben's Max Formula in the orange bottle is my favorite (98.11% DEET). I tried some products with one of the other major bug repellent chemicals last year, Picaridan (20% concentration), and found it totally useless against mosquitos anyway. There are possible health concerns with the concentrations and frequency of use of this stuff to consider as well. You may find this article interesting: http://www.outdoors.org/publications/outdoors/2012/equipped/picaridin-vs-deet-insect-repellent.cfm

If you Google DEET and Picaridin you'll get a lot of good reading information. If you type "mosquito" on Pinterest it pulls up references to all kinds of articles on the topic. Good luck. Some days it seems there is nothing that can combat the little devils.

Ben's 100...available at all the outlets including AMC stores. Careful with it around your face. There's been surprisingly little discussion about ticks and lyme disease...suffice to say, if you pick up a tick, get yourself checked out before it becomes a problem. Your dogs will get ticks and they need to be checked carefully, particularly on their underbellies. Avoid the brushy overhangs; stick to the trails; leave the bushwacking for Winter. Hate to sound like your Mother, but "been there, done that". It's a seriously debilitating disease!

(There are numerous previous threads on this (and also on ticks), so you can get a lot of info and links here on VFTT.)

For me, DEET is the main choice; alternative products are clearly not as effective. Sawyer also makes a fly repellant with an additional ingredient that seems to help repel deer flies (DEET is good for mosquitoes and black flies, but does not do much for larger flies), so I use that in deer fly areas. In tick areas, I treat clothing margins with permethrin. We also always do a tick check after every time out.

Ive used Bans for years and swear by it. Every now and then, I try something else but always go back to Bens.

DEET on skin and Permethrin on clothing.
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/insect-repellents.html
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/insect-repellents-tips-on-using.html

In my experience DEET works better than Picaridin. (20-30% is generally strong enough. 100% lasts longer, but is less pleasant to deal with.)
FWIW, I prefer squeeze bottles to sprays.

This issue has been covered in many past threads (Just search on the word--just search on the word "permethrin" to find a good selection. (The REI links are pretty good references.)

Doug

Last year my son and I were coming down Katahdin via the Saddle Trail when the black flies started swarming. They were exceptionally bad, and I had just slathered Bens on. It was barely deterring them, some were so hungry they didn't care. I had to slather a second coat on. It was that bad. Even then, they were landing, but not staying.

3M ulrathon. Its has a lower percentage of deet but is mixed with a product that keeps in on top of the skin so it last longer. I find it as effective as 100% deet with less damage to plastics.

image.jpg
I canoed the Allagash river many years ago (1976) We used every bug spray we had and nothing kept the greenhead flies away until we broke out the Old Woodsman Fly Dope. It kept the flies away. It really stunk. I think it would keep a bear away. After a day or so I didn't even smell it any more. The next time I smelled it was after I got home and took a shower. I gave my mother all the clothes for a laundry. P U
MZ

Yes, that's what I use.

DEET is effective against mosquitoes, and moderately effective against black flies (the small biting flies). As I mentioned earlier, DEET does nothing to repel larger flies like deer flies and horse flies. The additional ingredients in the Sawyers Broad Spectrum help repel those flies, to some extent. When the deer flies are out, you still have to use all the tricks (paddle in the air, sticky hat, etc.). I have been to deer fly hell, and back, a few times - they are tough!

DEET on skin and Permethrin on clothing.
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/insect-repellents.html
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/insect-repellents-tips-on-using.html

In my experience DEET works better than Picaridin. (20-30% is generally strong enough. 100% lasts longer, but is less pleasant to deal with.)
FWIW, I prefer squeeze bottles to sprays.

This issue has been covered in many past threads (Just search on the word--just search on the word "permethrin" to find a good selection. (The REI links are pretty good references.)

Doug

and

DEET doesn't do much against black flies. Nothing really does.

what he said... Also - I have a head net stored in one pocket or another of every backpack and fishing vest I own - b/c sometimes swarming black flies are best kept at bay with physical deterrents such as clothing and bug nets.

I've heard color of your clothes matter, blue being the worst. Also, I've found holding a hiking pole up high in the air helps some. Pony tails are bad.

Mosquitos definitely prefer dark colors. Don't know if that applies to black flies as well.

Also - I have a head net stored in one pocket or another of every backpack and fishing vest I own - b/c sometimes swarming black flies are best kept at bay with physical deterrents such as clothing and bug nets.
I also carry a headnet for use in extreme conditions--it works best over a broad-brim hat.

One can also buy bug-net shirts and pants.

Doug

This is when I like to be obnoxious (again); I am immune to mosquitoes and black flies. Mosquitoes will sometimes 'bite' me, but nothing happens. I like to add that I 'earned' the immunisation by many years of suffering in the out of doors - I was hospitalised for black fly bites when I was seven. Last year at the Ward Brook lean-to mosquitoes and black flies were worse than usual and, although I didn't get bitten, they were all round, in my nose and eyes and a general pain.

I have friends who hunt black bear in the spring at the hight of bug season and they use a Thermacell and swear by it. I bought one and will bring it when I plan on sleeping in a lean-to. They're about 40$ and by the sound of it are well worth it. I have also soaked my clothes in Permethrin (Campmor.com) to ward off ticks. The Thermacell is a bit larger than a hand-held GPS, but if it keeps a lean-to free of bugs, I'll pack it. Hope this helps.

I also carry a headnet for use in extreme conditions--it works best over a broad-brim hat.

One can also buy bug-net shirts and pants.

Doug

I used my EMS rewards to grab one. There have only been a few occasiins I wanted one, but for those times I think it will be worth it!