Bushwhacking - General "Guidelines"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of awesome trip reports this year on VFTT involving bushwhacks and this is something I definitely want to do next year. The notion of getting away from trails and crowds and discovering places maybe no one has ever been, exploring uncharted territory and relying on skills not needed following well traveled trails is very tempting. In keeping with my grand tradition of asking stupid questions I have a few below for those of you that bushwhack on a regular basis. I am intentionally omitting questions related to navigation/compass/GPS usage. I realize the obvious necessity to have the ability to know where I am and where I'm going, have practiced these skills and will continue to do so prior to wandering off in the middle of "nowhere". No need to lecture me on this aspect of bushwhacking. I get it.

My biggest question, and seemingly the simplest, is how do you pick a place you want to bushwhack too? I know that sounds stupid - look at a map, pick a knob or pond or something and go walk to it - but my question relates more to how do you select a place you want to go see that is actually accessible with the composition of the forest, undergrowth, terrain, etc.? I've looked at satellite photos of areas I'm interested in but I have a hard time discerning between deciduous trees and conifers, etc in these. Is there a methodology for deciding whether it is worth the effort to try and get to a spot? Most of the trip reports I read seem to have a definite stated objective in mind versus just going out and wandering around in the woods so I guess I'm wondering how you evaluate a destination for a bushwhack. Do you "scout it" from the road with binoculars to look at types of trees, condition of slides and rock formations, etc? Do you pre-hike surrounding areas from trails to do the same thing? I'd imagine nothing is more frustrating than getting very excited to travel to a spot you want to see and then toiling away in gnarled, twisted forest for 1/2 a mile before throwing in the towel in exhaustion.

Closely related to the first question would be bushwhacking "resources" that might be available. Are there maps for fire roads and other features you generally don't see on traditional trail maps? I know CalTopo's Forest Service layer shows a lot of these (not sure how accurate they are - never utilized). Snowmobile trail maps - are they of any use for plotting ways to get to valleys or peaks you want to visit? Are there any websites other than Google Maps that provide usable and maybe printable satellite photos for use?

My next question would be what gear, if any, do you carry that you wouldn't have if you were just trail hiking? I've read in past posts that safety glasses of some sort and gloves are a must but what else? Small section of rope for scrambling/negotiating unavoidable obstacles? Spruce trap saw? Bright tape for temporarily flagging confusing areas?

I realize this is a fairly vague question and I'm sure there is no precise, numbered process for doing. I guess I'm just wondering what the overall methodology is for planning a bushwhack vs a traditional trail hike, if any. Any feedback on the topic would be appreciated.

Some simple, quick, superficial thoughts:

How do you pick a place you want to bushwhack too?

Most of mine have come from a list, NE and ADK Hundred Highest for example. On other occasions in an area I am pretty familiar with I will see a summit in the distance or on a map and wonder how to get there. Maps will usually indicate whether views are possible. And if I'm familiar with the area I'll have a good idea about what the growth will be like.

Are there maps for fire roads and other features you generally don't see on traditional trail maps?

Use a DeLorme atlas in Maine, otherwise existing maps have done the trick.

what gear, if any, do you carry that you wouldn't have if you were just trail hiking? I've read in past posts that safety glasses of some sort and gloves are a must but what else? Small section of rope for scrambling/negotiating unavoidable obstacles? Spruce trap saw? Bright tape for temporarily flagging confusing areas?

More food, more water, better clothes. I used to carry surveying tape, but it's basically just litter. If I need a spruce trap saw, it's my own fault, not the poor trees.

Not sure how much help this is. Bring some kind of insect repellent, maybe water purifying tablets. Compass and altimeter are essential for me. Strict turnaround time as well. Reluctant to admit it but GPS app on my smartphone has really changed my attitude about bushwhacking successfully.

Google Maps and its historical images option is my key resource for planning alongside a USGS mapping software. Many folks are working various lists which is a good start, some folks just peruse google maps and look for open areas in hopes of finding a good view. Google maps pro is free and it prints out photos quite well. One major caveat is the vast a majority of printers are ink jet, they look nice in the office but are close to useless in the field. Black and white laser jet maps can hold up better and there are some specialty paper that hold up to dampness. USGS maps are a lot more durable especially if you coat them with a waterproofing in advance>

I personally carry a satellite beacon, not a Spot. I may have cell phone but sure do not depend on it

Bushwhacking is better as a small group activity at least to begin with. Stepping up to solo bushwhacks adds another dimension of risk. Plenty of folks do it but the majority didnt dive in solo. I have been hiking with small group this year who started out a bit underskilled but they learn from each other and I try not to step in unless they are about ready to learn from a really bad decision. One thing I discourage is "follow the beep" hiking where a route is laid out in a GPS and followed blindly. No issues with it being turned on and being referenced on occasion but the goal is to use the map and compass as the primary navigation tool.

You can get hints from the google maps on the ground conditions but no substitute for getting out there and hiking. Assume the worst and hope for the best. A note on timing, plan on 1 mph at best unless there is long road walk behind a gate.

Flagging is a no/no, its far too easy to miss it on the way out.

Definitely leave detailed instructions with someone you can trust in case you dont make it out. Dont deviate substantially from the plan. If you are planning to go in from one side and change your mind and go from a different direction it is up to you to communicate the change in plans. It may be days or weeks in some remote areas before anyone wonders why there is car at the end of a logging road.

Last edited:
'How do you pick a place you want to bushwhack to" Depends on your interests...mine usually involve unusual geology/geography: caves, talus piles, cliffs, ledges.

"how do you select a place you want to go see that is actually accessible with the composition of the forest, undergrowth, terrain, etc.?" Not always easy but the three-D view on Google Earth can help.

" I've looked at satellite photos of areas I'm interested in but I have a hard time discerning between deciduous trees and conifers, etc in these." If you can find a satellite image from winter or spring you can usually see the green of conifers.These can be a problem if they are up high or on a north facing slope, where they could grow small and nasty.

"Do you "scout it" from the road with binoculars to look at types of trees, condition of slides and rock formations, etc?" Never.

"Do you pre-hike surrounding areas from trails to do the same thing?" Never.

"I'd imagine nothing is more frustrating than getting very excited to travel to a spot you want to see and then toiling away in gnarled, twisted forest for 1/2 a mile before throwing in the towel in exhaustion." Yes, but it's part of the game and does happen.

"Are there maps for fire roads and other features you generally don't see on traditional trail maps?" Not really, I've found many old logging roads just by luck, if they're going generally in the correct direction then I'll follow them until they don't. DeLorme paper maps and most hiking software maps are hit-or-miss in this regard. Satellite images are usually good to see recent logging roads...scroll through their historical images if they have them as well.

"Snowmobile trail maps - are they of any use for plotting ways to get to valleys or peaks you want to visit?" Often yes.

"Are there any websites other than Google Maps that provide usable and maybe printable satellite photos for use?" Here maps, Bing maps, some state GIS sites. Terra Server can be "gamed" to get screen shots of images that are otherwise not free.

"I've read in past posts that safety glasses of some sort and gloves are a must" Bah.

"Small section of rope for scrambling/negotiating unavoidable obstacles?" Yes, always, but only because I sometimes literally get in over my head willingly in talus.

"Spruce trap saw?" No, agree with another funny response in this thread.

" Bright tape for temporarily flagging confusing areas? " No longer considered cool, but can carry it for psychological comfort.

I know that you don't want navigation help, but I can't help but say that my bushwhacks are always well preplanned with GPS waypoints in advance, gotten primarily from satellite images and then transferred to GPS software and then to the GPS reciever. Also always waypoint in real time your start point and any important waypoints that you might need to get back out.

Last edited:
I can pretty much guarantee you that you will not be the first person anywhere in the North East. Maybe the first person in years, but not the first.

Be willing to go back a different way than you came. You might learn something along the way.

Different seasons have their challenges and advantages. Snow in Winter. Tracks back. Better line of sight. Heat, Nettles in summer. Leaves in Fall. Mud in Spring. You get the picture....

"My biggest question, and seemingly the simplest, is how do you pick a place you want to bushwhack too?" 1) on a list, 2) leads to interesting destination (view/pond etc.), 3) a shortcut between something or other ... often between hell and high water.

"Do you "scout it" from the road with binoculars to look at types of trees, condition of slides and rock formations, etc?" No. After most hikes a part of the trip involves scouting future hikes like trailheads or access to bushwhack starting points. Familiarity with a general area as well as the changing character related to elevation, exposure, microclimate etc. will help you imagine what you'll encounter. This all comes under the heading of "experience" and that starts with just going out and doing it.

"Are there maps for fire roads and other features you generally don't see on traditional trail maps?" I've been unsuccessfully looking for such a map of the Whites but apparently it doesn't exist. Older topos shows old farm roads etc. and that may be helpful. In Maine I have a few older editions of DeLorme that reflect changes in logging roads as some get reclaimed by nature and new ones get built or old ones restored. Have found it helpful mostly in arriving at remote starting points.

I'd suggest reading through past threads on this topic. It has been well covered a few times over the years. Everyone has some interesting tips to share and you'll end up adopting some and developing a few of your own. I'd say the more reliant you are on yourself rather than technology and detailed tracks of others the better and more meaningful the event. Be better prepared for an unplanned overnight than otherwise and that doesn't mean much more weight; learning survival skills requires no additional weight yet those skills can be quite useful not just for survival but in the course of avoiding a survival situation.

Are there maps for fire roads and other features you generally don't see on traditional trail maps? I know CalTopo's Forest Service layer shows a lot of these (not sure how accurate they are - never utilized).
definitely look at old topo maps available here: http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm
Quickly regarding navigation and choosing destinations. Choose interesting places to go that will offer intermediate destinations along the way for navigation purposes. Each time you arrive at a definite and identifiable terrain feature you effectively begin a newly known leg to your route, making it all more interesting and absolute, even if your route takes a somewhat zig-zag course.

I always wear eye protection in the woods and have avoided the sharp-stick-in-the-eye syndrome a few times.

Also note the position of the sun relative to your direction of travel. Over your shoulder, ahead, behind you? It'll will be the opposite on the way back.

And keep a general sense of the surrounding terrain (ridge, valley, gully, slope) and correlate it to where you think you are on the map.

An altimeter is often key to finding you position.

And most important: KEEP CALM AND NAVIGATE ON! It's normal to feel a bit uneasy when confusion sets in. Work through it and remember in New England you can usually be "Down and Out" in a few hours no matter where you are.
cb

hmmmmm,,, my advice:

- start small - something short
- learn some map & compass skills (lots of options for how to learn)
- get a locator beacon - everyone I know carries one (NOT a Spot)
- wear stuff you don't mind getting ripped as your outer layer
- I pick based on something having a name on a topo map - anything with a name is something to visit
- I don't bushwhack when the woods are wet - if I want a carwash, I would take my car to one
- I know I'm not old-school as I do carry my phone on which I use old free GPS offline topo software (rmaps) - I want to know where i am but I only follow my own tracks that I have previously saved

:)

Last edited:
Good answers above, even the conflicting ones.
If you have good map and compass skills, I'd suggest picking a small area, with obvious boundaries, to go wander about first.

Good answers above, even the conflicting ones.
If you have good map and compass skills, I'd suggest picking a small area, with obvious boundaries, to go wander about first.
It can be instructive to record a GPS track (without consulting the GPS out in the field) and then looking at it afterwords to see where one has really been.

Doug

What you need for bushwhacking beyond what you have for trail-based day hiking: nothing (given you're properly equipped for day hiking). That's the wonderful thing about it: you can start with a day hike and explore 100 yards, 200 yards off the trail to somewhere that looked interesting on some map or other, or you just happened to notice on the fly. And the results are amazing, just for doing that! You have started to go down a "road" with endless possibilities.

Fewer than 1% of the people in this country go dayhiking anywhere really fun. Fewer than 1% of those bushwhack as much as 200 yards off an established trail. You may not wind up where no one has stood before, but you have entered a whole different world than is known. Later you can think about extending your range and challenge, and additional requirements.

BTW my 1% statistics are totally made up but true in spirit. I do that.

I should have expected it, but the sensation nonetheless ended up surprising me: having the skill to bushwhack along with the associated navigational expertise completely eliminated any concern about getting lost in the event of losing a trail. A wonderful feeling of security. Related to Will's point, it's also wonderful to look at a view, see something, and know that if I wanted to, I could successfully go there and return home alive. Such a feeling of power over the terrain (of course, at no loss of respect for it).

I teach a Map/Compass/Off trail course fairly regularly, and it's a special feeling as an instructor to partake of the satisfaction and glee that participants exude as they consummate their first off-trail itinerary.

hmmmmm,,, my advice:

- I pick based on something having a name on a topo map - anything with a name is something to visit
- I don't bushwhack when the woods are wet - if I want a carwash, I would take my car to one
- I know I'm not old-school as I do carry my phone on which I use old free GPS offline topo software (rmaps) - I want to know where i am but I only follow my own tracks that I have previously saved

Great advice, Becca, and I super-especially agree with the wet brush thing. Esp in prime hypothermia temps, few things can approach the miserable-ness of spending a day pushing through the under/overbrush when it's all soaking wet.

I would differ on two points. I'm old school in the sense that I really enjoy the challenge of relying solely on map/compass/altimeter to accomplish my mission, but do enjoy having a GPS for the benefit of having a record of my track.

Also, I would submit that a SPOT is well worth the subscription fee for a frequent hiker, and esp a frequent solo hiker who prefers the areas less traveled. The Kate Matrosova tragedy last year graphically demonstrates the limitations of a PLB.

I should have expected it, but the sensation nonetheless ended up surprising me: having the skill to bushwhack along with the associated navigational expertise completely eliminated any concern about getting lost in the event of losing a trail.
In winter hiking (at least if one gets off the packed highways...*) one normally expects to lose the trail now and then and have to bushwack until one finds it again (or not).

* Back in the "good old days" before winter hiking was so popular one often had to do one's own trail (or route :) ) finding (and breaking) even on the more popular routes.

Doug

Great advice, Becca, and I super-especially agree with the wet brush thing. Esp in prime hypothermia temps, few things can approach the miserable-ness of spending a day pushing through the under/overbrush when it's all soaking wet.

I would differ on two points. I'm old school in the sense that I really enjoy the challenge of relying solely on map/compass/altimeter to accomplish my mission, but do enjoy having a GPS for the benefit of having a record of my track.

Also, I would submit that a SPOT is well worth the subscription fee for a frequent hiker, and esp a frequent solo hiker who prefers the areas less traveled. The Kate Matrosova tragedy last year graphically demonstrates the limitations of a PLB.
Old school guy here as well. I just finished teaching a map and compass course to members of the federation of NYS SAR teams. I also teach land nav for Homeland Security in NYS. I do not teach the GPS segment until and unless my students are solid with map and compass first.

I use Spot because it is mandatory equipment to race in the Yukon River canoe races. Very useful for race officials and pit crew alike.

hmmmmm,,, my advice:

Definitely going to start small (have a few short trips in mind already -although they aren't named :) ), have pretty decent map/compass skills which I will practice with more in the Spring because I rarely use trail hiking, and I hike alone so I pretty much have all manner of electronics out there (GPS, Delorme InReach, PLB) for both mine and my wife's peace of mind. That's a good point on the gear getting ripped I hadn't actually thought of. Reminds me of a nice hole I tore in my new fleece a few months back on a short bushwhack I attempted on Zealand trying to catch some views beyond the summit. Skewered my arm on one of those pointy sticks that are all over the bases of pine trees.

I've already done that several times locally to make sure I knew what I was doing. And it was productive. I realized I had never actually adjusted for the magnetic declination on my compass (which I thought I did when I bought) after missing all of my targets to the left, I discovered that the compass feature on my GPS is useless unless I'm moving at a good clip (and thus not watching where I'm going) and also that the screen on my GPS that I thought was giving me bearings to waypoints I set actually changes back to the compass bearing if I select the waypoint (I thought the screen had actually selected the point and was guiding me toward it when in fact it was just escaping to the compass screen). I knew from my actual compass and map that the GPS was not telling me what I thought it was telling me so that was a good learning experience. Trips after that were much better. :)

As a former SPOT3 owner and now InReach carrier I would submit that the SPOT is bordering on useless in the Whites. It was far too unreliable for my liking, even on ridges and seemingly flawless operating areas. I did several hikes with mine where everything seemed to transmit just fine (all the right lights indicated success) and then when I got out of woods and turned on my cell phone to check notifications I had absolutely nothing (well other than texts and voicemails from my wife asking where I was). I would often have problems transmitting even in clear areas holding the unit up. Many hikes I got no successful sends.

The InReach is night and day better. I turn the tracking on, throw it in the lid compartment of my pack and with the exception of deep valleys and super thick undergrowth it has always transmitted. When I stop places I'll take it out and transmit one of the preset messages which go through even when I'm carrying in a pants pocket. The ability to send an actual text message, although tedious to type, is also very nice for adding info that the pre-canned messages do not convey. I find the InReach website much clunkier than the SPOT was but other than that I far recommend InReach over SPOT based on my experience.

But to your point, yes it is a very nice item to have as a solo hiker with a nervous wife at home wondering where I've been the last 20 hours. Well worth the subscription fee for me.

Does anyone overnight on their bushwhacks? Does carrying the extra weight/gear make it too difficult? I can imagine a scenario where I went off trail a 1/2 mile or mile to a majestic outlook, remote pond, etc and spent the night there. But carrying a 40 lb pack vs a 20 lb pack I assume makes the bushwhacking process that much more work depending on what you're doing. Curious how many bushwhacking campers there are here.