Bushwhacking - General "Guidelines"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I discovered that the compass feature on my GPS is useless unless I'm moving at a good clip (and thus not watching where I'm going)
Some GPSes have magnetic sensors which drive the compass display when it is stationary*. (This is part of Garmin's "sensors" feature. Don't know what other brands might call it.) When you are moving info from the GPS drives the compass display (whether or not you have a magnetic sensor). GPSes without magnetic sensors cannot determine compass directions when stationary.

* You must calibrate the magnetic sensor every time you change (or disturb) the batteries or the magnetic sensor directions will be inaccurate.

Note that you can set the GPS to give either true or magnetic directions. (It does not matter which you use as long as you use the same one on your map, compass, and GPS.)

and also that the screen on my GPS that I thought was giving me bearings to waypoints I set actually changes back to the compass bearing if I select the waypoint (I thought the screen had actually selected the point and was guiding me toward it when in fact it was just escaping to the compass screen). I knew from my actual compass and map that the GPS was not telling me what I thought it was telling me so that was a good learning experience. Trips after that were much better. :)
???
A GPS can be set to give either the bearing or the course to the next waypoint. (A bearing is the direction to a waypoint, a course is the straight-line direction between the last and next waypoints.) When following a route (sequence of waypoints), it will automatically switch to the next waypoint as one passes the last.

A GPS is a wonderful device, but it requires that the user know how to use it properly. (Actually much of it is pretty obvious if you know point-to-point navigation.)

Doug

Does anyone overnight on their bushwhacks? Does carrying the extra weight/gear make it too difficult? I can imagine a scenario where I went off trail a 1/2 mile or mile to a majestic outlook, remote pond, etc and spent the night there. But carrying a 40 lb pack vs a 20 lb pack I assume makes the bushwhacking process that much more work depending on what you're doing. Curious how many bushwhacking campers there are here.

Depends on how broad of a description for "bushwhack" you mean. In a general sense, I've gone "off-trail" and camped all my life. I've always been comfortable just wandering through the woods as my town used to have a lot of it. I also did some surveying in college. But, while the feeling of remote was there, we'd often find an old cart path or something to follow. Over time, we still do, but really going anything further than a half-mile to a mile does become too much for me with a pack.

A lot depends on the terrain/flora. If you can get into some great hardwoods, it's not bad. If it's think...no thanks for me.

overnight bushwhacks

Does anyone overnight on their bushwhacks? Does carrying the extra weight/gear make it too difficult? I can imagine a scenario where I went off trail a 1/2 mile or mile to a majestic outlook, remote pond, etc and spent the night there. But carrying a 40 lb pack vs a 20 lb pack I assume makes the bushwhacking process that much more work depending on what you're doing. Curious how many bushwhacking campers there are here.

My friends and I go on a four night winter trip every year. We almost always bushwhack to an area that is central to an area we wish to explore and set up a base camp. From there we do day hike bushwhacks and peak bagging all around our camp. We used to go for longer periods of time but our age has caught up with us so our trips are fewer days and because we like a comfy base camp we limit our base camp choices to places we can pull a sled to. Having a local base camp also makes night time bushwhacking in remote locations possible. Some of our favorite areas to go are Niagara valley in the eastern Dix wilderness area, the wet land at the Base of Slip mountain up near the Jay/Saddleback Mountain area, anywhere in the Dix wilderness area off of 73, Marsh pond, Railroad Notch, anywhere north of Giant mountain in the Giant mountain wilderness and my favorite is Merrium swamp(not really a sled pull) at the base of Jay Mountain. We love to camp in close proximity to a pond or wet land for evening star gazing. We do summer trips as well but in my opinion they do not compare to the winter experience of open woods and ease of travel on snowshoes or skies that is offered if the snow pack is adequate. The other nice thing about pulling sleds is it offers more options for self extraction if someone in our party gets injured. It's really important in the winter to be aware of snow conditions when planning a bushwhack trip. 18" of unconsolidated powder is very different from a 2' consolidated base with a weight bearing crust covered with a few inches of fresh snow. I'm sure there are many on this forum who relish the thought of a calm ten degree moonless night standing on the middle of a remote wilderness pond, stars blazing above, silence except for the occasional popping of freezing wood.

Some GPSes have magnetic sensors which drive the compass display when it is stationary*. (This is part of Garmin's "sensors" feature. Don't know what other brands might call it.) When you are moving info from the GPS drives the compass display (whether or not you have a magnetic sensor). GPSes without magnetic sensors cannot determine compass directions when stationary.

* You must calibrate the magnetic sensor every time you change (or disturb) the batteries or the magnetic sensor directions will be inaccurate.

Note that you can set the GPS to give either true or magnetic directions. (It does not matter which you use as long as you use the same one on your map, compass, and GPS.)

???
A GPS can be set to give either the bearing or the course to the next waypoint. (A bearing is the direction to a waypoint, a course is the straight-line direction between the last and next waypoints.) When following a route (sequence of waypoints), it will automatically switch to the next waypoint as one passes the last.

A GPS is a wonderful device, but it requires that the user know how to use it properly. (Actually much of it is pretty obvious if you know point-to-point navigation.)

Doug

I'm aware of all the compass stuff on the GPS. I just much prefer a real compass for most of my navigating. And the waypoint screen does show the bearing and distance. If I remember correctly what happened was that when I selected an actual waypoint it went to compass and then as I walked I thought the GPS was compensating for the direction I was walking relative to the waypoint when all it was doing was showing me a wildly oscillating compass direction because I was standing still. It was back when I first got GPS and I indeed did not understand most of the features yet.

Personally I much prefer to use paper map and real compass for the actual navigation and the GPS to confirm what I thought I did or get bearings to points I have noted. I find using the GPS for everything to be a bit awkward and confusing because of the small screen, remembering which way the GPS is orienting the screen, compass settings, blah, blah, blah.

Why should a backpack on a bushwhack weigh any more than on any other kind of hike? There is no need for 40+ pounds if you are careful and selective with your camping "needs". Been there, done that, no more. Most of my younger day bushwhacks were 4-5 days or more, off trail in the Adirondacks. i often said that my only use of a trail is to get me to somewhere that I can get off trail. Call me a purist - I always use a compass as a compass with a traditional topo map, never use a GPS as a compass, and frankly, unless I am on a SAR incident, I don't bother with a GPS at all when bushwhacking. Navigate with confidence in reasonable terrain (as is the case in this part of the world), and GPS is no more than a redundant distraction.

As far as Spot goes, like i said, I got one because it is required to have on operating during the Yukon River races. it performed as expected, sending a track point out approximately every 10 minutes so pit crews and race officials could track every team's near-real time location. We had certain extra requirements about sending out location messages during the 1000 mile race. If you failed, then there would be finish time penalties charged. Several teams suffered penalties (not mine), mostly because they failed to follow placement guidelines in assuring that the antenna was in the clear and pointed at the sky. one team was assessed a cumulative 9 hour time penalty for not following the rules and storing their device randomly oriented in a pocket.

I have two GPS devices running at my bow position in the canoe races on the Yukon, one giving me a river map with a set of information display data, and another GPS showing compass/route mode, displaying another set of data and directing me to the next one of 793 preplanned route waypoints i have programmed for fastest race time.

Last edited:
i often said that my only use of a trail is to get me to somewhere that I can get off trail. Call me a purist - I always use a compass as a compass with a traditional topo map, never use a GPS as a compass, and frankly, unless I am on a SAR incident, I don't bother with a GPS at all when bushwhacking. Navigate with confidence in reasonable terrain (as is the case in this part of the world), and GPS is no more than a redundant distraction.

Solid work there. Nice. I am totally from the same school. Thanks.

Why should a backpack on a bushwhack weigh any more than on any other kind of hike? There is no need for 40+ pounds if you are careful and selective with your camping "needs". Been there, done that, no more. Most of my younger day bushwhacks were 4-5 days or more, off trail in the Adirondacks. i often said that my only use of a trail is to get me to somewhere that I can get off trail. Call me a purist - I always use a compass as a compass with a traditional topo map, never use a GPS as a compass, and frankly, unless I am on a SAR incident, I don't bother with a GPS at all when bushwhacking. Navigate with confidence in reasonable terrain (as is the case in this part of the world), and GPS is no more than a redundant distraction.

As far as Spot goes, like i said, I got one because it is required to have on operating during the Yukon River races. it performed as expected, sending a track point out approximately every 10 minutes so pit crews and race officials could track every team's near-real time location. We had certain extra requirements about sending out location messages during the 1000 mile race. If you failed, then there would be finish time penalties charged. Several teams suffered penalties (not mine), mostly because they failed to follow placement guidelines in assuring that the antenna was in the clear and pointed at the sky. one team was assessed a cumulative 9 hour time penalty for not following the rules and storing their device randomly oriented in a pocket.

I have two GPS devices running at my bow position in the canoe races on the Yukon, one giving me a river map with a set of information display data, and another GPS showing compass/route mode, displaying another set of data and directing me to the next one of 793 preplanned route waypoints i have programmed for fastest race time.

Sorry. I should have clarified I meant day hike pack weight vs overnight pack weight, not bushwhack vs non-bushwhack. My overnight, everything but the kitchen sink configuration (4L water, water filter, Jetboil, shelter, bear canister, clunky survival knife, plenty of clothes and food, etc, etc) tips the scales about 42 lbs. I adjust contents based on water availability, weather, terrain, etc.

And far as the GPS, I agree as I mentioned in a subsequent post. I like to use map and compass for just about everything. I use my GPS for confirmation of what I did, that I'm going in the direction I think I'm going and waypoint bearings (which I understand can be calculated from the map too but the GPS provides a quicker, more convenient way to do so). The previously mentioned "exercise" I did was when I first got the GPS, was learning all the features and what they actually meant, and evaluating the way I most prefer to navigate (ease, efficiency, etc).

Sorry. I should have clarified I meant day hike pack weight vs overnight pack weight, not bushwhack vs non-bushwhack.
I too shall clarifiy: Why should a backpack on an overnight bushwhack weigh any more than on any other kind of overnight hike?
Dump the heavy survival knife, and at least half the 4L of water if you have a filter or or other purification method, there are lighter options than some of the heavier filters). You don't need any extra clothes, unless you are hiking in hypothermic dangerous seasons. Do you ever return home with uneaten food? Probably are taking way too much. There are much lighter stove options than the jetboil. For a shelter you can use a hammock or a tarp, much lighter than many tents.

Ask yourself, are you out there to do a job efficiently (e.g. SAR, or surveying), while using a tool for convenience and ease, or do you travel off trail to learn and advance skills while using your eyes and head to enjoy the landscape as you travel. You may guess where I am going with that question.

Last edited:
Some like to camp to enjoy, some like to camp to survive.

One guy I go with brings the kitchen sink, another brings virtually nothing. I'm in the middle.

I too shall clarifiy: Why should a backpack on an overnight bushwhack weigh any more than on any other kind of overnight hike?
Dump the heavy survival knife, and at least half the 4L of water if you have a filter or or other purification method, there are lighter options than some of the heavier filters). You don't need any extra clothes, unless you are hiking in hypothermic dangerous seasons. Do you ever return home with uneaten food? Probably are taking way too much. There are much lighter stove options than the jetboil. For a shelter you can use a hammock or a tarp, much lighter than many tents.

Ask yourself, are you out there to do a job efficiently (e.g. SAR, or surveying), while using a tool for convenience and ease, or do you travel off trail to learn and advance skills while using your eyes and head to enjoy the landscape as you travel. You may guess where I am going with that question.

Yes we are saying the same thing. To make myself clear: my overnight trail pack would not be any different than my overnight bushwhacking pack. Nor would my day hiking trail pack be any different from my bushwhacking day pack. My original point was that it would be harder to slog through the woods with 40 lbs vs 20 lbs, trail or otherwise, so does this deter anyone from overnighting on a bushwhack because of the extra work/effort?

And I understand the weight in my pack. I was presenting my worst-case, everything I own pack weight. I very rarely carry that full load but I will do several day hikes a year with it, usually getting ready for Winter hiking and also to confirm that if I was so inclined to bring everything I own I can actually climb routes with no water and lots of vertical carrying such a load. I'd rather get myself in good enough shape to carry every single item I want versus cutting out items I might want because I'm not in good enough shape to carry that load all day.

To each his own. I know the pack I use could be 1-2 lbs lighter but I like the padding and the features. I always carry extra food. I like having a variety to suit what I'm in the mood for vs forcing down whatever I have. I eat more when I am actually enjoying what I'm eating. And I hike alone so if I run into a problem I won't run out. And I LOVE my Jetboil and how stupidly easy and convenient it is. I even take it on day hikes sometimes and stop for a nice hot lunch if I feel like it (GASP! All that weight!). The extra weight is well worth it to me. I think you're confusing my "every thing but the kitchen sink", worst case scenario pack as my every day hiking configuration because I don't know any better. I'm well aware of the fact that I'm carrying more weight than I NEED but the added enjoyment and convenience of some of these items are worth it for me. Some days I dial the pack weight way back and go light. Some days I stuff it until the seams are busting and enjoy the struggle. :)

Also, I would submit that a SPOT is well worth the subscription fee for a frequent hiker, and esp a frequent solo hiker who prefers the areas less traveled. The Kate Matrosova tragedy last year graphically demonstrates the limitations of a PLB.

While the Matrosova tragedy demonstrated some limitations of a PLB, my understanding is that a DeLorme Inreach or Spot would have had the same limitations.

In terms of what to carry, I am a strong advocate for the use of safety glasses in denser woods. For the time being you only get one pair of eyes.

Long sleeves and pants of course save yourself a lot of scratches.

As others have already said, please, please do not use plastic 'survey' tape. It is litter, plain and simple.

As others have already said, please, please do not use plastic 'survey' tape. It is litter, plain and simple.

Don't worry about the plastic tape. It wasn't my intent to flag my way through the woods 50' at a time. I was thinking more of flagging a key area for the return trip (and then removing) like a spot to cross a high stream, notch through ledge area, etc. I see it in places like that so I didn't know if there was any merit in having it in case I got completely and totally turned around in a confusing spot. I really couldn't think of any item I might carry bushwhacking that I wouldn't on a regular hike but it never fails to surprise me when I ask questions on here and learn of things I had never heard of before. Maybe everyone is out there with the Bush-O-Matic 5000 Compass/Chainsaw/Logsplitter and I had no idea. :)

While the Matrosova tragedy demonstrated some limitations of a PLB, my understanding is that a DeLorme Inreach or Spot would have had the same limitations.
NHFG and the Civil Air Patrol conducted some experiments with the same model PLB used by Matrosova. They obtained accurate locations when it was upright and variable locations when it was on its side. Matrosova's PLB was lying on its side when she was found. (Stott, Sandy, "Looking for Kate", Appalachia, Summer/Fall 2016.)

If I had to carry one, I would personally choose a PLB over the other two devices. However, I have not seen any direct comparisons of performance in bad conditions. (The technical details of the two systems are very different which could make a significant difference in real use.)

Certainly the advantages of the two-way feature of Inreach (or any sat-phone) could be very significant if it works (it requires a better radio connection) and the user is able to operate it. (There is a good chance that Matrosova would not have been able to speak on a phone or type on a text device given the conditions.)

All devices and their operators have limitations.

Doug

Most of my hikes involve at least some bushwhacking. Where? It might be a trailless peak, or some unnamed pond I saw on a map and got curious about. Quite often the bushwhack is between trails, to complete a loop that otherwise wouldn't be feasible or just "because". I usually do the bushwhack in the beginning or middle of a trip, and return via a trail when I'm more tired. Some bushwhacks are overnight-- I especially like camping in a cool spot far from any trail-- but it might be a day hike, too. About the only extra gear I usually take on an [overnight] bushwhack is a hammock, in case I can't find a good place to sleep on the ground. Safety glasses, never, gloves only for warmth. Compass, a must... the electronic compasses in GPS's and smartphones really suck down the battery and then what do you do when it's dead? GPS is a convenience, sometimes I use it but often I deliberately leave it off... and never rely on it.

It's generally best to plan the route so you "bracket", e.g. a trail to your left, river to the right, and they intersect somewhere ahead so if you keep heading in the general direction you can't really get lost, you'll hit one or the other. If you plan to hit a trail which connects to another trail you'll be following, try to hit it far enough to one side that you don't have any question which way to turn... it sucks to hit a trail and turn right and walk for a mile only to realize the junction you wanted was a hundred yards to the left of where you came out. And plan about half the travel speed, even less in thick brush.

Dana is navigating by map/terrain association using "handrails", 'backstops", and deliberate azimuth offsets. As slow as 1/4 mph or less in the thick stuff.

Last edited:
A great idea I picked up somewhere is to print out your map and put it in a ziplock bag. Go with the gallon size and store brand's better, as there's less printing on them. Some brands are totally clear both sides, this is ideal because you can have 2 maps back to back without obstructions. You will need to trim about an inch off to the longer side of the sheet to fit into the bag.

Don't worry about the plastic tape. It wasn't my intent to flag my way through the woods 50' at a time. I was thinking more of flagging a key area for the return trip (and then removing) like a spot to cross a high stream, notch through ledge area, etc. I see it in places like that so I didn't know if there was any merit in having it in case I got completely and totally turned around in a confusing spot.

When bushwhacking, never assume that you will return the way that you came. If you get totally turned around, it's time to use your map and compass skills. The more you use your map & compass, the more confident you will be when you need to rely on them in confusing scenarios.

A great idea I picked up somewhere is to print out your map and put it in a ziplock bag. Go with the gallon size and store brand's better, as there's less printing on them. Some brands are totally clear both sides, this is ideal because you can have 2 maps back to back without obstructions. You will need to trim about an inch off to the longer side of the sheet to fit into the bag.
There are several far better choices than a ziplock bag, it will pay in the long run to get something more durable and resistant to dragging through heavy brush, better fitting to maps too. just do a google search for "map case":
https://www.amazon.com/SealLine-SLMAPCASE-Map-Case/dp/B002L140TS
https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Outdoor-Products-Unisex-Tactical/dp/B01GQT2W8Q

Last edited:
The road to hell is marked with flagging tape. So many folks hang a strip of flagging and rationalize that they will come back later to remove it but the reality is that its highly unlikely that your path down will coincide with your path up.

If you really need the "crutch" there is biodegradable flagging tape sold http://www.gemplers.com/product/52273/Biodegradable-Flagging-Tape.