Bushwhacking trailess peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't own a GPS other than the one that is built into my car and, frankly, that one only reinforces my indifference to GPS while hiking. I have used one on the trail when my son worked for REI and we got to try new products but to me it was a distraction not worth the detraction that over reliance on technology plays with basic navigation skills. I think it is safer to rely on one's skills with map and compass. To me it is also more fun as I make a closer connection with my surroundings than with a small screen.

I could envision parts of North America where I would not venture without one ... but not in the Northeast. Even if "lost" here, good skills will get you out safely and that should be part of any backwoods plan.

On the other hand, there have been times when I've said to myself, "That was interesting ... I wonder how I did that?" and envy those who return home with a GPS track.

Some people are really good at using a map, compass, altimeter and landmarks to figure out where they are. I am no stranger to maps and compass and recognizing landmarks albeit I never owned an altimeter. Yet there situations when telling accurately where you are may not be so easy, especially if you go off trail in flattish terrain or when visibility gets extremely low. In such situations a gps can be of tremendous help.

While I carry both paper maps (whenever I have them) and I download digital maps to my gps I tend not to fully trust either. New trails are added, old ones are re-routed, logging roads get abandoned, trail blazes change, private landowners revoke permissions to use their land and I have seen many paper maps not matching what I encountered in reality. Same holds for my gps maps.

One clear advantage with my gps is that I know pretty well where I am, I know my progress, and it is much easier to change plans or make a bailout decision.

DSC03550.jpg

I also finished the New England Hundred Highest before I owned a GPS.

My method was to look on Views From The Top for trip reports and copy and print out the ones that had good directions.

I have been using a GPS since 2008, however, and, as Stan mentioned above, it is nice to be able to look at the track later to see just where the heck I went. It is also nice to know that the summit is still some distance away, so no need to scour this particular knob for a canister, no matter how summit-like it may appear. That saves time.

DougPaul seems to have overlooked that obvious fourth way to use the GPS: to keep an eye on where the summit is and how far you are from it. If the contours look inviting between you and the summit, that may be a good route to take. I will usually get as close to the summit as I can on the trail, then look for a convenient place to enter the woods and just follow the path of least resistance from there. The GPS can also keep you from straying too far in the wrong direction because of misleading terrain. I had two failed attempts at East Scar Ridge before the GPS guided me to the canister on my third try. I think it took me three hours to go three-tenths of a mile to the canister, but at least I got there.

I have never bothered with putting routes (don’t know how) or waypoints — aside from the summit’s — into the unit ahead of time.

I have never bothered with putting routes (don’t know how) or waypoints — aside from the summit’s — into the unit ahead of time.

Another related great use is you can drop waypoints on your way out so you have them if needed for the way back. "I left the trail here", "Avoid this cliff band there", etc.

Tim

DougPaul seems to have overlooked that obvious fourth way to use the GPS: to keep an eye on where the summit is and how far you are from it. If the contours look inviting between you and the summit, that may be a good route to take. I will usually get as close to the summit as I can on the trail, then look for a convenient place to enter the woods and just follow the path of least resistance from there. The GPS can also keep you from straying too far in the wrong direction because of misleading terrain. I had two failed attempts at East Scar Ridge before the GPS guided me to the canister on my third try. I think it took me three hours to go three-tenths of a mile to the canister, but at least I got there.
I would consider that to be a form of method 2. The summit or goal is just a waypoint whether actually entered into the GPS or not.

While I am on the subject, for those who have proposed method 4*:
4) Don't carry a GPS.
5) Don't carry (or even consult beforehand) a map.
6) Don't carry a compass.
7) Don't carry an altimeter.
none) 4, 5, 6, and 7
* These don't actually belong on my list since my list was titled "IMO, there are three basic ways to use a GPS on a bushwack". They are, however, valid ways of navigating.

Prior to European contact, the local inhabitants must surely have visited many of the peaks and places we hike to using method "none". Each item is an advance in technology and as each is introduced there are usually traditionalists announcing "I did it without". Wait a while and everyone will think its use is normal...

We should note that trails, guidebooks and trip reports (whether verbal, written on paper, or on the internet) are aids too.

Doug

Another related great use is you can drop waypoints on your way out so you have them if needed for the way back. "I left the trail here", "Avoid this cliff band there", etc.
Essentially an augmented version of flagging:
* you can "see" them when physical flags are not visible
* you aren't littering up the woods and don't have to remove your flags

Also good on glaciers for marking crevasses and gear dumps. Very helpful in whiteouts... :)

Doug

I used to carry my GPS in the bottom of my pack on whacks, just in case, but then I found that without the GPS I was in a more aware state of mind.

A subtle and very important difference in the need to stay focused and present. I find it similar in some ways (if less dramatic) to a tightrope walker with and without a harness. If you are aware you have a harness, the consequences of your decisions become far less meaningful than when you are aware that you die if you fall even when performing the same act.

I always enjoyed planning routes with the USGS maps using some old photocopied trail notes with advice on the NEHH for example. For me personally, using a GPS would not have been letting go enough for what I was personally seeking on these hikes.

Cool technology for sure, but it can get in the way of the mind's work.

I guess I'll share my experience doing the NE100. I visited Dorset Peak in VT twice due to my lack of GPS at the time. I thought I had Dorset in the bag, but when I re-read someone's description of their trip to Dorset they mentioned certain details I never saw so I doubted I had actually "gotten" the peak. I don't recall if next time I went I had GPS or not. I think not. I ascended from the north side which I found to be really beautiful way to approach Dorset and saw the features they had described so now I knew I had hit it (oh yeah there was a canister i think). I think that was the events where I resolved to obtain a GPS and learn how to use it. I'm still learning to use all of its features. It is a great toy and I've had lots of fun with it. Yes it does malfunction, batteries die and you realize you used up your batteries, the chip came loose one time, or you forget to bring it all together, or like time I went for Boundary Peak from Canadian side and I had no maps for Canada.

Besides map & compass there are environmental knowledge you pick up wandering around off trail. Such as why you can get thick spruce in lowlands and how to avoid. Hardwoods vs softwood forests types. Learning about logging history so you can take advantage of sled roads and where they might lead.

... when I re-read someone's description of their trip to Dorset they mentioned certain details I never saw so I doubted I had actually "gotten" the peak. ...

How does anyone know for sure that someone else's description is accurate? There is always some judgement of the credibility of the source. Of course a canister helps but even that might have fallen and been put up somewhere short of the true highest point.

With a GPS, at least, you know (within the margin of error of the device) if you are inside the highest contour interval or not...

Tim

How does anyone know for sure that someone else's description is accurate? There is always some judgement of the credibility of the source.
I'm not sure I consider "off-the-internet" GPS tracks to be all that reliable. However, you can check them before leaving home by plotting them on a topo map.

With a GPS, at least, you know (within the margin of error of the device) if you are inside the highest contour interval or not...
And the peaks on the GPS internal topo map are generally labeled making it a bit easier to figure out which peak you are on. :) (Or if you don't have topo maps in your GPS, you can place waypoints at the summits and other critical locations before hiking.)

Doug

I'm so glad I never bushwhack. I can't imagine the joy of not even knowing if I'm on a summit or not, thinking I am, then finding out later, I was not, then going back and knowing I am.

I'm so glad I never bushwhack. I can't imagine the joy of not even knowing if I'm on a summit or not, thinking I am, then finding out later, I was not, then going back and knowing I am.
You miss the point. Those of us who seek and study routes to bushwhack do so to enjoy the entire trip, not just to bag another summit and say we've been there because an electronic machine says so. Practice it enough, get good enough, and there wont be any question about where you are at any time, especially knowing precisely when you do reach that obscure summit. Speaking for myself, I'd much rather be on a bushwhack in varied terrain to a remote pond that has no trail and likely hasn't seen any visitor in years, rather than to reach most of the popular mountain summits. Its the whole package, certainly including the navigation process itself, that provides the real joy. :D

Last edited:
You miss the point. Those of us who seek and study routes to bushwhack do so to enjoy the entire trip, not just to bag another summit and say we've been there because an electronic machine says so. Practice it enough, get good enough, and there wont be any question about where you are at any time, especially knowing precisely when you do reach that summit. Speaking for myself, I'd much rather be on a bushwhack in varied terrain to a remote pond that has no trail and likely hasn't seen any visitor in years, rather than to reach most mountain summits. Its the whole package, certainly including the navigation process itself, that provides the real joy. :D

I wasn't trying to be little bushwhackers. I get it, it's just not for me.

To the OP

I would recommend finding a hiking companion interested in going to the same places (peaks) as you and going together. The process of learning off trail travel is enhanced when there is someone to discuss things with. If they know more than you they can teach you but best to be sure they are correct. there is a special relationship (bond) that will develop if you learn together. You can bounce navigation questions off each other as you go and debrief afterwards basking in the glory of good trips and commiserating or laughing off the tough ones. ... The later has lead to some fine quotes such as : "Well, we could have done that better." "Bushwhacking is like garlic, it's an acquired taste". "How do you want to go back to the car? Anyway but the way we came up. I'm good with that."

I think prudence is warranted in the beginning as you build expertise at least for the sake of preservation of life. This speaks to the benefits of doing your homework such as your posting on this site and more granularly to the benefit of preparing for each hike as others have mentioned. After a while when skills are improved you can be more lax.

Navigation habits can be like personalities. Some people will hold to a bearing or route regardless of the terrain. Others will do a hike with only a few uses of their hard tools. The extremes can be quite entertaining to watch or quite painful/unnerving.

And also keep in mind that many people have climbed these peaks without every learning to navigate simply by following someone else. Such as a club. It is an option. And it can be a safe one depending on who you follow :). I've noticed an increase in the number of, let's say, low skilled organized groups. So beware.

Yes shorter routes can be safer but don't be deceived as more popular peaks or routes can offer less resistance. I thing everyone will agree that 1 mile of trail is easier than 0.2 miles of hellacious bushwhacking . I'm not saying that a 1 mile trail is better than a nice 1 mile bushwhack.

One point to note as you hike a HH peak if you follow a herd path you need to think like the herd. Meaning you might get to a tough spot where you scramble up a steep pitch only to find the path is not at the top. Most people would get to the pitch and find a route around it. So if you are following a herd path and get off it, IMO it is best to back up 20 feet and get back on it vs following the bearing. You need to be sure the path is headed where you want but that is part of the homework and a general compass bearing confirmation

Navigation is a passionate subject for many and there are many opinions and some nice pieces of advice already posted. I could +1 on many of them or spend hours typing my own but I won't, for now.

Enjoy the journey

Gene Daniell, editor of the white mountain guide was a very skilled bushwhacker and the creator of several lists, he was into social bushwhacks and was somewhat infamous for occasionally ending up at the wrong place (like miles away from the car). He regarded such outcomes as part of the fun. Once folks get past the list aspect of bushwhacks, some acquire the taste for bushwhacking for the shear pleasure. I will coop the term "freedom of the hills" for this level of ability and interest.

I'll repeat a few thoughts that bear repeating, and add a few.

the larger the area and the less you know about it, the more you should consider bringing a friend or two.

the LESS location-based tech you have (like maps or GPS), the more likely it is that you ought to bring emergency overnight gear. This is, of course, dependent on how big the area is and how easily you get lost. When I am bushwhacking any place that has more than 50 square miles in the polygon between roads, I bring overnight gear and food for 24 hours. rough terrain also makes overnight gear a must- if you bust an ankle, you will be much more comfortable if you have a waterproof sleeping situation. I go without a map or GPS, so I almost always bring overnight gear on longer bushwhacks.

A good thing to have in some areas (like the whites) is rappelling gear. When you hike down the mountain and encounter a cliff, rappel down it rather than hiking around. please do not attempt this without a helmet. loose rocks are very dangerous if you chose this path. also, only do this if you are experienced in rappelling. Watch for loose rock on the way down, and if you encounter such a rock or boulder, use ascenders to go back up the rope and go another route. in cliff-heavy areas, I will actually bushwhack down the mountain in my harness for ease of setting up rappels.

If you are up for an adventure, follow the aforementioned Gene Daniell method, and explore a bit. If you are well prepared, it is okay to be temporarily lost- in fact, I recommend it. Don't worry about ending up far away from your car, or having to go around cliffs- cliffs are cool! If you really DON'T want to follow this mindset, but still want to go without map and compass, learn a bit of basic tracking- you can follow your own tracks back down the mountain.

Good luck to all!