Camel's Hump (VT)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhihn

Reaction score
A friend of mine is thinking of doing Camels Hump in February, by way of a route that has a cabin. The cabin supposedly has 10 bunks. That's all of the detail I'm aware of at the moment. Does anyone know about the cabin I'm referring to? Is it still there? If so, what condition is it in, and what are the chances of it being filled on a February weekend with decent weather?
Is the road to the trailhead generally plowed?

Thanks.

Dick

I think you're talking about Gorham Lodge, which I stayed at overnight in Sept. 1997. It was run by a caretaker for the Green Mountain Club and they charged a miniscule fee, I think I remember it being $5. I'm not sure what the deal is in winter. Hopefully someone else will post the info you need.

I remember very fondly my stay on Camel's Hump, watching the sun set over Lake Champlain and then seeing the incredible dance of clouds around the mountains the next morning as I ate breakfast on the summit. The view should be incredible in the winter. Hope you have fun!

IIRC, there was a sign on Camel's Hump this summer that one of the camps just north of the mountain had been removed. Anyone know if this was Gorham Lodge?

-dave-

Gorham lodge burnt down. It has been replaced further north with an impressive lean-to. There is also a lodge on the other side of the mountain(the southern side), which is fully enclosed. That would be the best place to stay if it is going to very cold.

Yes, Dave, Gorham Lodge has been removed. On the north side of Camel's Hump the new shelter is now after all the minor peaks about 3 miles (aprox) from the summit. It is about 1/4 mile down a spur trail, which we didn't visit after doing that rugged section of trail with full packs.

There is a shelter on the south side (Montclair Lodge, for 6 to 8) about 1 mile to 1 1/2 miles from the summit in the col between Ethan Allen and Camel's Hump, where we stayed. The approach from the south was absolutely spectacular, and would be a blast in winter. I believe there are spur trails from both the east and west that reach the south side, and others on the north side, all of which are relatively short.

I can't wait to do that approach in winter. Have fun!

Also, I don't know if they keep the shelters open in winter. There are several tent sites up pretty high.

Here's a shot of the shelter...

The leanto is on the north side of Camels Hump and is absolutely beautiful, sited in an open glade of birches. The approach is from River road which parallels the Winooski river and has been plowed every time i've been there. It is a long approach though something over 6 miles I would have to check my guide book.

The other two approaches are side trails starting on opposite sides of the mountain, they both fork partway up and either head directly up the mountain or meet near Montclair and then follow the long trail to the summit. The first side trail is in Duxbury and is always plowed at the parking lot. The other is near Hinesburg and I am not sure they plow it. I asked the GMC about it once and they suggested that I call the town that the trailhead is located in to find out. For a map check out Northern Cartographics map of Mansfield, Camels Hump and Hunger Mountain. Best map I have seen since the ADK high peaks map.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I've hiked several times in Vermont, including Camel's Hump, but always in the summer. I don't know Vermont trails well. I'll have to get more information on the hike my friend is proposing.

Thanks again.

Actually the one from the West side is in Huntington. The road and parking area are always plowed since there are many homes along that road. Look for Camel Hump Road in Huntington Center. It heads 4 miles to the trailhead

Oops forgot, the leanto's and shelters are always available for use. You may have to dig out the snow in front of a door to get in though. There are no caretakers in winter and the springs that are nearby will have to be dug out, chipped into to fetch water.