Camera Display Malfunction

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
My "pocket" camera is a Panasonic DMC-ZS3. It was working fine last week, but when I took it out of my pocket to take some pictures while hiking last weekend, the screen showed bright rainbow-colored vertical lines. The bottom third of the screen is mostly black with some of the lines running down through it, The upper portion has some viewing of what the camera is pointing at visible.

I snapped pictures with a "what the heck" attitude, and they did come out, though more like if my 3 year old granddaughter had taken them for the most part.

Panasonic wanted $16 from me to identify what the problem might be. That seemed like a waste of sock money. I know my friends here will have good suggestions. I'll buy the best one a beer! (Well, maybe not. I'm cheap.) :D

My "pocket" camera is a Panasonic DMC-ZS3. It was working fine last week, but when I took it out of my pocket to take some pictures while hiking last weekend, the screen showed bright rainbow-colored vertical lines. The bottom third of the screen is mostly black with some of the lines running down through it, The upper portion has some viewing of what the camera is pointing at visible.
Sounds like a display or display driver problem.

I snapped pictures with a "what the heck" attitude, and they did come out, though more like if my 3 year old granddaughter had taken them for the most part.
Kind of the best that one can do under such circumstances... Perhaps a little hard to do with no viewfinder.

The display is entirely separate from the optics and sensor so it is probably not unusual that one can still take pictures without the display.

Panasonic wanted $16 from me to identify what the problem might be. That seemed like a waste of sock money. I know my friends here will have good suggestions. I'll buy the best one a beer! (Well, maybe not. I'm cheap.) :D
Compact P&S cameras are largely designed as thow-aways*--often not worth the money to repair them. $16 isn't too terrible to have it checked out, but if the repair cost is more than 1/3--1/2 the price of a new camera then I'd suggest you get a new one.

* The mechanical parts moving the lens around are a common failure point.

(No beer required--my advice is cheap too... :) )

Doug

On a camera without an optical view finder, losing the LCD is a death sentence. It's worth getting it checked out for $16 since you can sometimes just swap the LCD itself, but it's often not cost effective. Most P&S cameras are disposable, as Doug said, and getting 3-4 years out of one is considered getting your money's worth.

Thanks, Doug. I guess I'm in the market for a new camera, one I can put in my pocket and take out quickly when the right moment suddenly strikes as I'm hiking. As Dave suggested I "almost" got my money's worth from this one. In the past, I have given my old cameras to my adult kids to help them replace the ones they've broken. Then I get to upgrade and feel good about it.

So, iIs there an "environmental cemetery for old digital cameras?

For me, the good parts left in the camera are the battery and charging kit, the memory card, and the strap.

The memory is 4 GB SDHC.

The battery is a Panasonic DMW-BCG10PP, 3.6V 895 maH.

Anyone have favorite camera suggestions using these?

Keep the 4GB SDHC card. It's plenty large, and will work in almost any point-and-shoot on the market these days, except for those high-end that use CompactFlash or those that use Sony MemoryStick (and even Sony products are switching over to SD cards). Although they're only $10, a new camera won't come with anything nearly as big.

I've loved my Canon point and shoots. The new ones are pretty amazing, including HD video and face detection (which really helps with auto-focusing).

The battery isn't worth much after several years, and unless you're completely committed to the larger models in the Panasonic line I certainly wouldn't use the battery as a deciding factor.

As for pocket cameras, you can't go wrong with the Canon ELPH 100 or 300 models, the Panasonic FX-78 or FX-90. What is pocket sized for you? Was your old ZS3 too big for that? I prefer a smaller model for everyday hiking use. How much zoom do you want? What do you require in video specs? How important is shooting in low light to you?

-dave-

Thanks, Dave, for all your questions. The DMC-ZS3 was about the right size. I'd know if I had it with me. I'm fussy about image quality, but poor in my pocket book. Also I have a nice DSLR that I use but that is heavy for hiking. I'm not looking for a credit-card size camera that I would lose right away.

I've spent far too much time on this today. I was looking at the Casio Eilim EX-Z2000 but it seems to have been discontinued.
Megapixes aren't too important, the sensor is more-so.
Low-light photos? Yes.
I like a wide angle feature of around 25 mm.
Batteries should be long-lasting, say 400 shots. (you're right, the old camera battery is not a significant decision-making factor, but would be a tie-breaker)
Optical zoom, say 5x.
Price range: $100 - $150.

At this point I don't care about movies at all.
I don't need GPS capabilities.
Color doesn't matter.

I am certainly open to discussion and suggestions.