camping on the sandwich range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freighttrain48

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can camp at any of the old shelter sites on whiteface and passaconway, i.e camp heermance or rich? I would like to do the Tripyramids and Whiteface/ Passaconway as a two day and I am trying to figure out were I can camp up high

ps really glad to be a member here!!

Welcome!

The Camp Rich site is your best bet, with decent water and good tent sites away from the trail. The Shehadi site is right in the trail, and Heermance isn't much better, so I wouldn't recommend either.

For more info see www.wodc.org/shelters.htm

Funny, those are my photos from a long time ago.

Camp Rich is below the summit of Passaconaway, much close to it than to Whiteface.

is Camp Rich on the Trail connecting whiteface and passaconway?

Yes: From Whiteface you'll follow the Rollins Trail around the Bowl to the junction with Dicey's Mill Trail. Take a left on Dicey's 0.2 miles towards Passaconaway until the trail crosses the outlet of the spring at the East Loop junction. You'll find sites in the woods on both sides of Dicey's Mill Trail just above the junction.

Funny, those are my photos from a long time ago.

Camp Rich is below the summit of Passaconaway, much close to it than to Whiteface.

I noticed that those were your pics and I read your report on the hike nh site but the guide and history of the 4000 footers says that camping isnt allowed at heermance and I saw your photos and report were about ten years old so I thought this would be a good first thread for me

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/2010_backcountry_rules_web.pdf

The simple answer is yes you can camp at those locations. I usually carry this document with me just in case. I've never been bothered by Trail Cops but I have been hassled by other hikers who think they are.;)

Read the rules, follow them and you'll be cool.
Bob

Thanks Rek I will carry a copy with me.. Is there water source near camp heermance that would be the ideal spot cause I would like to watch the sunset from the south summit ledges

It's not much of a source but there is a tiny stream that flows out from a rock just as you go into the site. I was able to get enough water for supper and breakfast. I suspect that it would by dry during dry periods. Bring a filter because its muddy.
Bob

It's not much of a source but there is a tiny stream that flows out from a rock just as you go into the site. I was able to get enough water for supper and breakfast. I suspect that it would by dry during dry periods. Bring a filter because its muddy.
Bob

sounds like I should fill up my containers on the sleeper ridge. My tenitive plan is to hit the priymiads on day one via pine brook bend and set up camp by whiteface and hit passaconway the next day and take my time hiking back via downes brook trail

Last time I stayed at the Heermance site I had to go down the Whiteface Trail (North, towards the Sleepers) about .3 mi. to get water. The water source was a small stream flowing across the trail right before the trail began to accend up to the junction with Rollins.