Camping question in the Sandwich Wilderness?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
Question, if you were hiking from The White Ledges Campground to the Kate Sleeper Trail via Chocorua, Paugus and Passaconaway, where could you legally camp say between Paugus and Passaconaway? Thanks

Also can you still legally camp at the old Shag camp near Paugus?

There is no 200' rule in the Sandwich Range Wilderness. The only camping restrictions (in the Wilderness) noted on the WODC map are 1/4 mile around Flat Mtn. Pond Shelter and the area around Black Mtn. Pond. I'm guessing the old Shag camp is the site marked as water on the shoulder of Paugus--no restriction.

Everybody should have this map :)

We've done a similar hike to the one you mentioned; only we started on the Piper Trail, went over Chocorua, then to Kate Sleepers and finishing at Waterville Valley. An excellent hike. There's some very nice camping at the intersection of Bee Line Trail and the Boles Trail. Paugus Brook runs right through that intersection. This is about 1.5 miles east of Mt. Paugus. I do not recall many other places to camp between Paugus and Passaconaway. If you reach the intersection of Bee Line and Boles late in the day, you may want to stop, because the 1.5 miles up to Mt. Paugus was a little bit of a butt kicker. Have a great hike!

There's some very nice camping at the intersection of Bee Line Trail and the Boles Trail.

If you want to camp further on, there are some decent opportunities near Paugus Pass (junction of Lawrence, Old Mast, and Olivarian Brook), although you'll have to go downhill a bit for water.

Thanks for the info:
It is not my trip but two guys from Virginia who posted on the AMC forum. I could supply the other campsite information, yet I have only day hiked the Sandwich Range, even though I live about a ¼ from it.