canoe lessons?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentonfabrics

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently purchased my first canoe (Wenonah Heron). Does anyone know of a place where I could get solo paddeling lessons? I can paddle tandem just fine but I know theres got to be a better way to paddle solo than constantly switching from side to side.

Any ideas? Even for an instructional DVD??

thanks,
bob

Cannot help you with any instructions but when I was in scouts my troop did a lot of cannoe trips. If I recall there is a "J" strock that is good for soloing. Check out the "BSA cannoe merit badge book" (libary maybe)

Come to think about it, those merit badge books have some good information.

We have Wenonah Vagabonds which are also solo canoes. For open waters we use our double bladed kayak paddles. They work great. If we're in a stream or marshy area we switch to canoe paddles. The best of both worlds!

Although I am not an AMC member, I am pretty sure that the AMC through it's local chapters would have inexpensive sessions on learning canoe strokes and paddling techniques.

I know that the North Jersey chapter of the ADK group does a lot of non-hiking activities so I would think that most organizations generally bud into other areas cheaply.

The ACA would also be a great resource if you want to find a licenses BCU instrutor.

There are also some very good instructional videos snippets online that you might try to browse. I've had a good time learning kayak techniques via simple google searches.

Jay

In addition to the sources above, check out a book titled Solo Canoeing -- Basic Essentials by Cliff Jacobson. He knows his stuff and you'll get more than the mere "basics." You can find the book online and at paddlesports retailers.

And don't give up so quickly on sit-n-switch. Lots of folks cover lots of miles with it. Make sure that your paddle is sized properly for this. A bent shaft is superior for this technique.

And don't be stampeded away from double-bladed paddles either. This technique powered some very famous, long distance solo voyages among the British decked canoe set. It's coming back, slowly and steadily.

In other words, you may want to experiment with several alternatives, but make sure the paddle used with any of them fits that particular application in blade design and shaft sizing.

sleeping bear said:
Sure switch when you're tired, but not as directional correction. If you know the proper strokes, there is no reason to switch (other than fatigue) and all strokes can be done on the cross side without switching as well.

I do agree a bentshaft makes for a more efficient forward stroke.

I think we're breaking this forum in with the first debate! :) Soon to go down in "Paddle Park" history as "that topic has already been discussed at length here". :D :D

A bent shaft paddle will do a J stroke but it's not as much fun as with a straight shaft.

A straight shaft paddle will do a J plus other strokes better but is less efficient. (That last point has been proved by the marathon racers and countless BWCA trippers.)

So, one can go forward fast (efficiently) and switch, using a bent shaft. Or one can go forward a little slower (i.e., less efficiently) and not switch, using a straight shaft.

When you get to the river, either rue the fact that you have only a bent shaft or smile as you pirouette, etc. with the straight shaft.

There, thirty+ years of the canoe paddling wars reduced to a few lines. At this rate, we'll have hull design hammered in a couple of days. :D

I apoligize for the closed minded comments I made earlier and have since deleted. I have these two bad habits that sometimes either get me in trouble and/or make me look like a fool, 1) I think I know everything (about everything) and 2) I like to argue (and be right).

So, on the debate of sit and switch versus not, I still think not switching is the better choice, and I may never be convinced otherwise. HOWEVER, I went to the library today and checked out several Cliff Jacobson books and did some reading on sit and switch, otherwise known as "the Minnesota Swtich". I thought it was intersting to note in the books, that in those sections the authors (not always CJ) noted that "old school" paddlers will disagree about this technique saying it is ugly and ineffiecient bla bla bla. So that made me feel a little better. I am not really old school, because I am too young, but I was taught the "old school" techniques and therefore have that mentality.

I am not looking to further the debate as to which is better, but rather acknowledge that there are different strokes for different folks :) . I will stick to my methods and SARdog can stick to his. Diffent techniques work for different situations, different boats and different paddlers. So, in the end, I maintain agreeing on disagreeing and it appears to be widely agreed to disagree as well, and I agree. :D

Since I deleted the post that had my book recommendations, here they are again- if you wish to learn non-sit-and-switch techniques.
Paddle your own canoe by Gary and Joanie McGuffin

And anything by the ACA, CRCA (aka Paddle Canada) and written/filmed by Bill Mason.

Anyway, I apologize for being a jerk- somebody should have red squared me! :eek:

Last edited:
dentonfabrics said:
Hi,

Recently purchased my first canoe (Wenonah Heron). Does anyone know of a place where I could get solo paddeling lessons? I can paddle tandem just fine but I know theres got to be a better way to paddle solo than constantly switching from side to side.

Any ideas? Even for an instructional DVD??

thanks,
bob
Bob, I'm not sure where you are in NH, but Caleb Davis under the company name of "Tremolo" has been teaching solo and tandem techniques for a long time, as well as wooden paddle making. He was in Jaffrey NH (near Peterborough), but rumors are that he has moved, I haven't been in touch with him for over a year so I am not sure.

Caleb does have a very good detailed paddling instruction video out that you should be able to find at outdoor stores. Just look up his name or Traditional Flatwater Canoeing. They are around various places in the Adirondacks, so I assume in NH as well.

You might also check out other instructors from the Maine Canoe Symposium.

Regarding hit-and-switch vs other strokes, namely the "J" and related strokes... it's as much about how you and the boat and paddle and water all interact together as a single working unit to make smooth almost unnoticable correction strokes. As Caleb says "get your head in the water" (which does not mean getting your head wet). Racers do tend to hit and switch, but for more relaxed maneuvers that just feel right, try learning some refined strokes. Doing the "J" properly and fast without hesitation is marginally slower at race pace than hit and switch. And it is definitely more fun at any normal person's pace as you seamlessly link one type of stroke into the next without even thinking about how you do it.

Last edited: