Canon Elph 115 IS. Any users?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I'm looking for a lightweight camera that has reasonable battery life (approx 250 pictures per charge would be good) and that takes decent pictures. I use a Canon G10 so figure I might as well stick with Canon.
My research brought me to the Elph 115.

Any opinions for winter use?

The Elph 115 IS is only rated for 200 shots/charge. (The G10 is rated at 400.) It also has a fairly slow lens (f/3.2) and only goes to ISO 1600.

You might also consider the S120: faster lens (f/1.8) and up to ISO 12800, but still is rated to only 230 shots. The S100 family is generally well thought of in the photographic community.

Above specs from http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM?view=Canon_reviews

Doug

The S120 retails for $400, the ELPH 115 can be gotten for $90, so it's not a fair comparison. The ELPH will be a fine handy camera for hiking. It's not great in low light but very few small cameras are and during the day it should be fine.

Buy a second battery and enjoy. You can get the ELPH 130 for $100 for some slight improvements.

The S120 retails for $400, the ELPH 115 can be gotten for $90, so it's not a fair comparison. The ELPH will be a fine handy camera for hiking. It's not great in low light but very few small cameras are and during the day it should be fine.
Hadn't checked the prices--the two cameras are also designed to fit different markets: the ELPHs are designed to be small and the S1x0 line is designed to be more versatile. The S110 is $219 right now at Adorama and almost as good. (On sale--there are a number of sales on right now.) He is coming from a G10...

Buy a second battery and enjoy. You can get the ELPH 130 for $100 for some slight improvements.
IMO, one should always carry a second battery...

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I bought the 130 plus a spare battery at Amazon for a total of $110.

Now, lets discuss what food is best to eat when taking pictures in winter.