Car GPS won't give coordinates?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
I rode up to a proposed fire tower site with a guy with dash-mounted GPS, and when we parked I asked for the coordinates. He went through all the screens and couldn't find a way to get them. Apparently the GPS knew where it was but wouldn't tell you :)

Is this common for car GPS, did he get a lame model, or should he read the book?

I rode up to a proposed fire tower site with a guy with dash-mounted GPS, and when we parked I asked for the coordinates. He went through all the screens and couldn't find a way to get them. Apparently the GPS knew where it was but wouldn't tell you :)

Is this common for car GPS, did he get a lame model, or should he read the book?
Most likely he has one of the newer models equipped with the OFCG* detector. This option detects the presence of any one who is over 50 years old and has a minimum or 30 years of compass and map skills. The unit will not display locations because with your skill level you don't need them. :D

Try standing a minimum of 100 m from the vehicle (that's 100 giant steps for the metrophobic) and the unit should return to normal.

* OFCG - Old Fogey Compass Guru

Last edited:
I have read a number of complaints about car GPSes not giving coordinates. Presumably the manufacturers figured that drivers wouldn't need them. Depends on the model.

A bit of Garmin history:
* Garmin used to make some full-featured car GPSes (models 26xx, 27xx, and 28xx)
* Garmin then produced the dumbed-down Nuvi line and gradually added some of the features back in to create higher-end versions. (And added such "useful" features as mp3 listening...)
* A number of knowledgeable users still prefer and use the old 26xx, 27xx, and 28xx models...

<editorial>
Welcome to mass marketing of dumbed-down products.
</editorial>

Doug

Being over 50 as well, we had similar issue!:D

It depends upon the unit you have. Ours (265WT) doesn't support multi-point routing, and will do only do one point per route. I got this from a Garmin rep:

"IN order to input coordinates you will go to "Where to" then press the down arrow. Select Coordinates. Unfortunately the reviewer was incorrect. This unit does not support multi point routing. At this time only the Nuvi 7XX, 8XX and 5000 series will allow multipoint navigation. This unit will allow you one via point per route. Once you are in an active route you will go to "Where To" select your search method, once the via point (other destination) is on the screen, press go, the unit will ask if you want to insert as via. That simply means it will take you this stop by way of your final destination."

I don't know if it helps your situation or not.

My TomTom ONE 130 that I got about 60 days ago for $125 gives GPS coordinates very easily - what brand/model do you have?

My Magellan Maestro 4250 gives you your coordinates and you can save them too.
You can also drag the screen with your finger and select a point on the map as your destination. Kinda fancy.
BTW, them car GPS’s are the best thing since sliced bread. And I’m not 50….yet. ;)

It is very possible. I have a Garmin StreetPilot i3 and it does not give coordinates. This is an older, low end model, that has since been discontinued. It only deals with street addresses. You can upload points with coordinates as custom points of interest though. Even those won't display the coordinates you uploaded, just text associated with them.

Sorry if I sound so cynical, but there are really two different market segments- autos and outdoors. Of all the people I know who use auto GPS's, I cannot imagine lattltude and longitude coming up.

Magellan makes a "Cross Over" GPS with both auto maps and hiking maps. That device will have lat/lon and auto capabilities. I don't know if you can get lat/lon and a road map on a screen simultaneously though.

You also might be able to get USB or bluetooth GPS unit that talks to laptop running Microsoft Streets and Trips..latitude and longitude should be available...

Magellan makes a "Cross Over" GPS with both auto maps and hiking maps. That device will have lat/lon and auto capabilities. I don't know if you can get lat/lon and a road map on a screen simultaneously though.
The Garmin 60/76C[x] "hiking" models also handle both hiking and driving quite well. They will autoroute (on autoroutable road maps), and beep and show you a detail map at each upcoming turn. (They don't talk, just beep.)

And, of course, they will give you lat/lon if you want it...

Doug

Last edited:
I only pointed the Magellen because the Garmin 60sx screen is really tiny and not very suitable for auto navigation without a co-pilot.

I certainly would not use it while moving....

In fact I put my Magellan Maestro suction cup on the sunroof, where I cannot even see the screen, and just use voice cues.

When I had it on the windshield, I would get distracted because it would show me parks, rec areas, rivers, and "oh thats where that road goes" . There were just two many close calls with guard rails and shoulders...I was lucky.

Last edited:
I only pointed the Magellen because the Garmin 60sx screen is really tiny and not very suitable for auto navigation without a co-pilot.
The 60CSx works for me. I mount it on the dashboard just to the right of the driver.

Sure, a bigger screen would be nicer, but I can get what I need from it.

Doug