Carrigain Pond Aug 28 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caleb

Reaction score
It took me 3 years and 3 attempts but I finally made it to Carrigain Pond. From the Hancocks, I routed down along the wilderness boundary to the col at The Captain, then skirted around the backside of the Captain to the pond. The going was rough, requiring determination and a pointed disregard for skin and clothing. 3 hrs from Hancocks to Carrigain Pond with GPS routing.

The pond itself was lovely. On the South shore there’s an old fire ring and a flattish spot for camping. Otherwise, the whole area is as pristine as post-logged wilderness can be. Lots of Moose sign.

For exit, I followed Carrigain Branch 2 miles to the intersection with Desolation trail. It wasn’t that bad. The upper section was a bit steep but it was always manageable. It reminded me of the upper ledges of Ammo, no worse. It wasn’t that tangled either. Last year (without GPS) I tried to upwalk it from Desolation and I remembered the streambed as a maddening tangle of blowdowns. Not so this year. It was only half-maddening.

I've attached 2 pics. Not my best photographic effort :)

Cost: One LEki pole (bent), one bush hat (lost), one torn backpack and one techwick trashed. Well worth it though.

Couple of pointers..

1. If anyone is crazy enough to approach from the Hancocks, I would suggest targeting the Captain for the descent from Hancock (as opposed to a more direct route > Carrigain Pond). Otherwise, you’ll run into the cliffs and steep ledges which dominate the middle flanks of Hancock.
2. Carrigain Branch is a many-branched stream, more than maps show. Going upstream is tricky. There’s a left and a right feeder, of equal volume and size. Recommend you pick wisely or bring a GPS.

Last edited:
Nice report. You aren't kidding on the branches being tricky on Carrigain Branch, we took the wrong one once and ended up on the western side of the Captain. Even though it was .5 of a mile from the pond, we never made it because of how tangled and thick it is up there.

-Mattl

Excellent! Bravo! Fantastic adventure!

You’ve answered some questions I’ve had about some of the approaches to Carrigain Pond, especially the approach via Carrigain Branch.

I’ve considered a couple of other approaches which on the map looks somewhat short, but I suspect both might have some “issues”. Both approaches that I’ve thought about involve going to the end of the forest road that runs northwest from the trailhead at the end of Sawyer River Rd. Then, from the end of that forest road, I’ve considered these two options:
1) whacking to the west of The Captain and then going around the backside of The Captain to reach the pond, or
2) whacking nearly due north from the end of the forest road and dropping down to the pond on the east side of The Captain.

Maybe you or others have some thoughts (or experience) with one of these options?

Last edited:
whacking nearly due north from the end of the forest road and dropping down to the pond on the east side of The Captain.
Lots of people have done this, steep and thick to col but nothing like as bad as rest of way to Captain

Also not too bad along ridge from Carrigain