Castle Trailhead Plowing in Randolph

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
In a change from past years, the trailhead at Bowman is plowed open this year. It looks like the driveway to the house in the far south of the lot (out of sight from the trailhead) is being plowed. The former RR bed is maintained as a major east west snowmachine route through this area. This is a private crossing and unless the state posts a lower speed limit, sleds can legally go 45 MPH and frequently go far faster. The corridor is generally broken out quite wide 30 to 50 feet. This potentially introduces a conflict between hikers parking cars and snowmachine traffic. There really is no car parking plowed out although a few cares were parking off to the side but if and when the snowpack gets deeper, I suspect that these spaces will be plowed in. Therefore there is potential conflict between hiker parking, the private driveway and the snowmachine trail. The state owns and controls the RR right of way, while the landowner has the right to cross it so if push comes to shove I think the hikers cars would lose out.

I would suggest anyone using this trailhead keep potential conflicts in mind when prking. I would not suggest multiday trips as the potential of getting plowed in is high if snow falls. Incidentally modern snowmobile tracks are equipped with carbides and if someone elects to drive over a plowed in car the tracks will destroy any sheetmetal underneath.

Last edited:
Hopefully hikers will be smart enough not to park on the snowmachine trail. I wouldn't think the snowpack would get high enough (from snowfall or plowing) to cover up a car parked on the ROW. I'd worry less about having a sled driven over the car and more about a bunch of snowmobilers being sufficiently irritated to vandalize an illegally parked car (better to just call to have it towed -- wonder if Lowes would do that, to the extent open).

I'd start with finding out who is doing the plowing first. If it is the Forest Service a call to them concerning their intent would be prudent. If it is the home owner maintaining parking for hikers might not be a priority. Any which way good advice on not being there too long and keeping an eye on the weather.

Last edited:
Lot was a mess yesterday afternoon and you'd want 4WD assuming you could find a place to park at all. There was a guy who looked like a hiker who had pulled over and was relieving himself in the snow bank. That must be enjoyable for the homeowner.