Cath Goodwin Blitzes the NH48!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
AStrollAcrossJeffersonLawn.jpg

Crossing Monticello Lawn

Starting on August 27 at 5:14 am at the base of Carrigain, and finishing at 1:12am on Sept 1st at the base of Moosilauke, Cath Goodwin has completed the NH 48 in 4 days, 19 hours, and 56 minutes.

She was supported by Tim and Val Charboneau, and harassed by me on a few hikes.

Synopsis: It was hot. It was cold. It was beautiful. It was even windy at times.

Occasionally, people got tired.

Alright...that's my version and I am sticking with it.

EDIT: Snapshots from Cath's NH48 Blitz - Day 2 - Franconia Ridge and Owls Head
Now Up: Snapshots from Cath's NH48 Blitz - Day 4 - Presi-Isolation Traverse

Unless someone else wants to provide juicy details...

Cath?

Last edited:
Day 1

I had been working on this project, on paper, for a bit over 4 years. It was fun to put together potential daily summit groupings, and think about what it would mean (physically & mentally) to tie five days of hiking together. I never really got serious about the idea until I read Cory D's wonderful trip account of his and Jan's ADK adventure last September (2009). Reading what they went thru, how they almost called it quits, and then found something to just keep trying, I decided that I should just give this a try too. Why not? Only problem was, I would have to wait a year due to my work schedule. But, that allowed me to truely get ready to do so. In the meantime, I wrote Cory a note relaying that I had an adventure I had been working on - on paper - and that his adventure had indeed inspired me to get serious about my plan. He surprised me with a "reminder" note this Spring, tho he indicated that he was under the impression that I was looking to hike a continuous summit-to-summit hike of the 48, and that it was time for me to get going. I let him know that due to my work I would have to wait until later in the summer to go for my hike, and that I wouldn't be looking to backpack thru the 48. Once again, thank you Cory & Jan for your inspiration, no matter how unintentional it may have been ~

I'm not a trail runner. Simply a hiker. But since I've had the good fortune to hike many hikes with my friend Tim Seaver (aka Summer Guy) I figured that I would be able to hike all the NH four's in about 24 hours more than it took him to race around them back in 2003,
which was 3 days and 15 hours. That became my target; 4 days & 15 hours. I loved his final summit strategy of finishing on Owl's Head, the furthest away from a trailhead.
CaveDog had "set" the rules with his fast hike of the NH 4's in 2002, in which he finished on the summit of Cabot. I thought Tim's strategy was brilliant, and I planned my last day to finish there too.

As this summer progressed, my conditioning hikes went well, and August finally arrived ~ ya-hoo! I finally relayed my plan to the few folks that I wanted to be aware of it, and those I was asking for assistance from. Summer Guy was the first, and it was during a hike on August 18th. Just 2 short days later, it became apparent that "the plan" would need to be changed. Al Sochard announced that Sue Johnston had just completed a short version of hiking thru the NH 4's, in 4 days 20 hrs & 32 minutes, but she had finished back at the trailhead of the last peak.............drats. Back to the planning papers I went, as finishing on Owl's Head didn't look as spiffy anymore. Oh well.

I've added space below so that I can write just a bit about each of the days. But before I do I wanted to relay this, This was very goofy...........but I still had fun. Tim Charboneau was such a HUGE piece of the logistical part of this journey. I could not have done it without his support!!! His lovely wife Val provided tremendous support too, which I am very thankful for. My dear friend Tim Seaver always comes thru when I need a boost most. This journey, he provided several, not to mention he had us doubling over in laugher many times. On the home front, my husband Art, took charge of the 3 dogs and 3 cats whom are so very important to me, which is a huge daily responsibility!! He was quite concerned for my well being, but he trusts me (as I always seem to come back home). When I told him my plan just a few weeks ago, he just grinned and said something like "get 'er done". He was so excited about the possibility of me pulling this off, he told a number of his friends about my plan the week before I got started......and they were cheering me on. My wonderful friend Steve Martin walked my dogs during the 5 days, which was tremendous for them, and he enjoyed it too. I received the best phone message from him, during the middle of day 5, relaying how that days dog walk went, which really lifted my spirits! Better friends are hard to find, and I am so incredibly grateful for ALL that they did to help me ~

Last edited:
Day 1

A wild ride, Over stony ground, Such a lust for life, The circus comes to town........

Two SUV's loaded with FOOD, multiple pairs of trail shoes, and several packs arrive at the Carroll Motel & Cottages. GREAT little place to establish as base-camp for 4 days. Alas, we didn't get a chance to use the pool.

When going thru the check-in procedure, the man behind the desk inquires what we will be doing during our stay in the White Mountains. The one word reply seemed to puzzle him.
Hiking? That's it? Yes, I replied with a grin.

Carrigain - Hale - Zealand - Bonds - Twins - Galehead - Garfield

The clock starts at 5:14am at the Signal Ridge trailhead. And we're off! Well at least I was, as Charb's hangs around the trailhead for a few minutes adjusting gizmo's & gear, and looks up to see my light fading in the darkness up the trail. He catches up quickly. We settle into a nice pace, and when we arrive at Signal Ridge proper, we are greeted by lovely swirling fog & clouds in the early morning light. Beautiful ~ At 7:11am our summit visit was brief due to the shrouded conditions, so down we went, returning at 8:43am.

We had spotted one vehicle at the Garfield trailhead the night before, so a hassle free trip to the next trailhead was made. This route was the muddiest of all the routes during the trip. The Whites had received approx 2 1/2 inches of rain during the week, and we were going to explore its gooshiness for the rest of the day. Starting at 9:45am, up & over Hale 10:45am, up to & beyond Zealand (1:03pm), up, over, thru West Bond (2:08pm) & Bond (2:43pm) and down to Bondcliff (3:06pm), and about-face. We meet a gorgeous Italian Massif & his buddy the Choc. lab along the Bonds. Thank goodness, a DOG fix for the day!!! Out & back of South (4:53pm) & North Twin (5:21pm), down to Galehead, where the dinner cookoff between the Cabin Dwellers & the Camp-Stove Clans is taking place. We attempt to slither thru without being noticed and head for the lofty summit of Galehead (6:34pm). Quickly down, and on to the dreaded Garfield Ridge trail. We speculate that we can get to the Franconia Brook trail junction before we need headlamps, and we do~ Up, and up some more towards Garfield, and as we pass the Campsite Spur, we can hear merry goings-on from its occupants. Sounded like a great place to be on this night. As we approach the summit, Charb's is bedazzeled by the colors of the Moon. I think it had a little to do with he now realized that he could indeed hike close to 40 miles in one day, and live to tell! (summit 7:52pm - trailhead 10:12pm) The descent, and SHORT drive back to the cottage was so sweet. Day One complete.

Last edited:
Day 2

Whether your sunglasses are off or on
you only see the world you make

Cannon - N & S Kinsman Flume - Liberty - Lincoln - Lafayette - Owl's Head

I know that basically a summit top, or the process of reaching a summit, in the wee hours of the morning can be a rewarding experience. For me, Cannon is that mountain. During my short stint as a ski patroller at this mountain, I would start a few days of the work week by skinning up the mountain. Sometimes it would be covered in wet, wind driven snow, and others would be cold & clear. Always magical in it's own way. Reaching the summit alone, but knowing in a matter of minutes the first Tram car of the day would unload
a number of skiers, and the whole mood of the mountain changes. It would almost feel like stealing away a piece of the quiet beauty not attainable by those that would arrive momentarily.

Once again on this day, there is no one else at Cannon's summit when I arrive ~ wonderful to behold (start 6:03am arrive 6:57am). Charb's had dropped me off, and was driving around to Lafayette Place campground for the exit point. As I came off Cannon, we met at the Lonesome Lake - Kinsman Ridge junction, continued across the Cannon Balls, and over & across to South Kinsman. (N Kinsman 9:24am , S Kinsman 9:58am) On the return trip, just below North Kinsman, I bump into the Campton Post Mistress - Kathy. This is her first visit to the Kinsman's, and what a nice summer day to do so. The trails weren't as muddy as yesterday, but there was still a bit here & there. We bump into Red-Stick, along the Fishin-Jimmy trail, who was hiking north to Katahdin. Down around Lonesome Lake, there are a few small dogs hiking with there H.C.'s. Ok, so 2 for 2 in getting a Dog Fix on this journey! As I enter the campground section of the trail, I spot that very familiar hiking-camera / action figure..........SUMMER GUY ! He has decided to join in on the 2nd half of day two ~ Ta Da

In the parking lot (11:25am) as packs are emptied & resupplied, and shoes & socks are switched, a disjointed discussion takes place about who drives what vehicle to where........ and it's like reviewing the Who's On First skit........ Oh for the love of Pete ! Why the heck did I pick two guys with the same name! I innocently inquire as to what their middle names are, and Charb's obliges but we get the "Oh no, no, no" from Summer Guy. This will obviously need to be explored at some other time, to find out what that is all about! Anyway, this is where I officially adopt their other names for clarification purposes ~ phew.

Down the parkway we go. Summer Guy & I get deposited at the south end AT crossing (11:49pm), and Charb's head's off, once again, to make the all important exit point car spot.

Flume Slide is busy on this day, and hot too..... We finally arrive at the Osseo (that's Os-say-o) trail junction and briefly pause at the summit proper (1:59pm). As we head up the trail, we note that there is a couple from the Osseo trail junction right on our heals, and we let them go by. And then they immediately stop, so we go by. The man inquires where we are hiking to, and for some unknown reason to me, Summer Guy decides that FULL disclosure of our intended route is necessary to these complete strangers........... "...and down Lincoln Slide". The gentleman wants to know more! It's a little hard to put together, thru his heavy Russian accent & broken English, but we caught the drift of a previous failed attempt to get to the slide. We do our best to dash away after the summit of Liberty (2:32pm), and once I feel we are beyond approach again, I let Summer Guy have it! A flurry of slaps on his shoulders, chest, head top ensue! Good God man, what were you thinking?!

Thankfully, the rest of the Franconia Ridge passes without incident, but we are still looking for signs of Charb's (Lincoln 3:38). Summer Guy waits on the northern prominent hump of the mass of Lincoln, and I scurry to do the out & back of Mt Lafayette (4:03pm). Much to my delight, when I return to the aforementioned prominent hump, I find that Charb's has indeed caught us! The three of us thread our way thru a very short scrub section & gain the top most part of the northern spur of the slide. This section goes well. I like to emerge from the woods down at Lincoln Brook at a "prow" point directly between the slide brook & Lincoln Brook ~ lovely spot.

We move right along, and start the ascent of everyone's favorite mountain - Owl's Head.
We encounter two young men in the first open section of the slide, and apparently the heat, their heavy packs, and the unknown encounters of the trip got to them on this day. They look whipped, which is understandable. Being a fellow hiker, the first chap decides that giving us a little insight as to what lies ahead, especially as it is late in the afternoon, he fore warns us about what could be the total trip time. "Just so that you know, it's a three hour tour". We nod and continue onward. Now let me tell you, Summer Guy has a very creative mind..........and before we could even ponder the thought of an actual Three Hour Tour, he entertains us with the long version of the Gilligain's Island Remix, complete with name changes. A Hi-light of the trip ~ indeed. Owl's Head 7:07pm.

Then, we headed down, and out, and out some more. To make the Lincoln Woods trail pass by as quickly as possible, we discussed the finer points of thinning Carrots in the garden. Val is waiting for us in the Lincoln Woods parking lot 10:18pm. End of day 2 ~

Last edited:
Day 3

Willey Range - Wildcats - Carters - Moriah - Waumbek

All around black-ink darkness
Who found - lady from the mountains

As I left the Crawford Notch Depot (5:28am), I was anticipating the sunrise glow that would
seep into the clevt below the Mt Tom col, and I was not disappointed. Hues of gold
warmed the area visually. I however, did not need to be warmed up. It was already
too hot so early in the day.... I basically hiked the entire range in my sports-bra top.
Never would have anticipated that. I meet one couple just below the Willey Range / Ethan Pond trail junction, and they inquire if I had hiked thru the night. (Tom 6:39am - Field 7:13am - Willey 7:57am) As planned, Charb's is waiting for me down at the Ethan Pond trail railroad crossing (9:10am). We make a brief stop back at the cottage, and then on to the Gorham neighborhood end of the C/M trail we head to leave the exit vehicle.

I'm dropped off at the Wildcat Ski area (10:53am), and head up the Polecat trail. It's very, very hot, and I just put my head down and go. I had been dreading this section due to the heat, and I don't even pause when I come upon a brown snake in the trail...just keep going! However, I was pleasantly surprised to find "patches" of shade along the route, which helped beat the heat immensely! The Wildcats passed by smoothly (Wildcat D 11:57am), and mostly in the shade! As I neared the other end, I bump into two guys, and one pleasantly informs me that - I am almost there, and the views are really nice. I just smile and say, "they are nice aren't they". We were actually over on B peak, but I could appreciate his enthusiasm. Wildcat A 12:49pm ~ heading down the steeps of A, I am asked by a couple if there are any views "up there". I try to relay the good feeling from the man who had encouraged me.

Ascending Carter Dome from the notch always feels like a grind to me, but I keep reminding myself that I'm not wearing my winter pack to try to look at the bright side. It sort of works. As planned, there is Charb's up at the summit (1:52pm). This friend is too much. It would be a lot to ask someone to just hang around and meet you as you arrive at each trailhead. He is seeing this as a bonus to hike sections of this trip WHILE performing the drop-offs and pick-ups. You are the best Tim! Accross the Carters we go, and I find moss covered rocks to sit or lean my back against once in awhile. Great way to cool down!
(S Carter 2:58pm & M Carter 3:26pm) There is a large college group hanging out at the North Carter clearing, having a discussion about FaceBook.......... From the North Carter trail junction to Stony Brook is yet another new trail section for Charb's, which explains just why he was game to help with all these car spots ;o) He's having a ball. The section from Stony Brook to Moriah summit (5:23pm) passes very quickly, which surprises me, and my thoughts now turn to the planned night hike. The hike down to the Gorham neighborhood goes as usual (7:01pm), and we are soon at the car where there is FOOD waiting !!!

I'm quite sure I eat during the entire ride to Jefferson and the Starr King trailhead........ when we arrive (7:34pm), we find a respectable looking, maroon colored car in the parking area. Hey, someone else who likes to hike later in the day, and descend as the light of the day slowly fades away ~ cool. Charb's is experiencing some foot issues, and relays that he might hike up to Starr King, so off I go alone into the evening. The temperature is so much nicer than it was earlier - ah. As I ascend, I wonder about whom I might encounter, and unfortunately think about the elderly gentlemen that had to spend the night on Moosilauke, in the rain, Thursday evening. I hope to meet a happy hiker, and not someone in distress..... Starr King is quiet and beautiful under the stars ~ About 1/2 way across the ridge to the summit, I meet my fellow night hiker. I don't see a light, but the glow of a pristine white shirt! Too funny, it's Speed Racer himself ;o) He comments on how hiking this evening, instead of during the heat of the day seemed to make much more sense, and I concur! We talk for a bit, and then continue in opposite directions. That was cool. I click my lamp off at the summit (8:51pm) & look up thru the trees to the sky ~ gorgeous night indeed. When I arrive back at the fireplace, Charb's is waiting. We head down, strategizing about ALL the details that must be addressed tomorrow........ Back at the parking area, we see Arm one more time, and say goodnight (9:45pm). Hump day is complete, and I feel really good physically! End of Day 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: arm
Day 4

Cabot Presidentials with Isolation

We just all need the same things, I'll tell you what I know.
We're headed in the same direction ~

Charb's had a ton of things to attend to on this 4th day! I had the easy part, which of course was, get out there and walk. He had to drive me to the trailhead for a 5am start (5:03am). Head back to the cottage and load all our belongings into his vehicle in time for the 11am check-out (OMG....) Meet Val at the Gazebo and be shuttled to Appalachia to retrieve the Fun Bus (aka Summer Guy's van) and drive it to Waterville Valley. Return to Twin Mtn to retrieve his vehicle and drive that to Waterville too. Talk about a full day!

Cabot and the north country. The calm & beauty of it on an early summer morning. I was feeling good, and the hike went really well (summit 6:46am & trailhead 8:07am). Summer Guy was waiting as I came off the mountain, and he drove us to Appalachia to start the traverse (start 9:13am).

The heat was already starting to hint that it would again be a factor on this day, but the shade of the Valley Way thankfully kept it from burdening me too early in the day. The up & back of Madison (11:21am) was routine, but I was starting to worry that I didn't bring enough food for the entire day with me...... I headed up Adam's by myself (summit 1:04pm), as Summer Guy needed to attend to his tootsie's, and waited down on the Gulfside headed toward Adams 5. When I met up with him, he was visiting with Drew Peterson :) my friend from VT.

After Drew scurried off towards Adams, I told Summer Guy that I needed to eat again. This was a new phenomena for me, and I was slightly rattled by it. Summer Guy took it all in-stride and announced ~ Eat. EAT! Eat all that you have, and then we will purchase copious amounts of food at the cafeteria! I think I gave the same shudder that I used to make as a kid when I was "washing down" some food item that was on my dinner plate that I didn't like the taste of :eek: "But what will they have that I would eat", I pretty much whimpered. He did his best to reassure me that all would be fine and I would live to tell ~

So off to Jefferson (1:51pm), around Clay, and up to Washington we made our way. I had been refueled by consuming ALL that I had brought with me (and some of his too!), and wondered what was possibly waiting for me at THE CAFETERIA......... I'll just say this, I wasn't expecting a Christmas Morning kind of realization :eek: In the building we dashed, dropped our packs and I stared at the coolers and racks.... Phew, Stoneyfield yogurt !!! Two of those, an eggsalad sandwich, a turkey sandwich (which ended up being Summer Guy's after hike snack), a package of fake peanut butter crackers. As we sat down to start inhaling, my good friend Bill Fiske stopped by to say Hi and gave me a hug. He is one of the State Park Rangers. He relayed that after all the years of training, many recertifications of CPR, he saved the life of an auto road visitor a few days prior!!! A man had driven his motorcycle to the summit, entered the cafeteria, and dropped of a heart attack :eek: Bill used the portable defib on him and brought him back to life!!! Ok, so this cafeteria, it is a life source for many :p (Washington summit 3:09pm) Another hug from Bill, and out the door we went. Summer Guy relays that it was a very good pit stop, timed at ONLY 15 minutes ~

So now basically, there was 5 miles of down-hill. On to Isolation ~ I was feeling much better now, so I did my best to cruise. Summer Guy told me a story of stashing a burrito and water in a very special cairn, as we passed it by, during his '03 Summer Adventure. Another tootsie-attend-to for Summer Guy near Isolation West, as I did the remainder of the out & back of one of my favorite summit tops (Isolation 5:13pm). I told myself, don't look over to Monroe or it might freak you out...... I just looked into Oakes Gulf and visualized it being covered in SNOW. When we hit treeline on the return trip of the Davis Path, the wind had picked up considerably....... it was still HOT enough that we didn't need to add a layer (he was shirtless & I was in just a sports bra-top). The wind was shifting, mostly coming from the West, and was beginning to mess with my forward momentum...... I blurted out "is this f___ necessary", which only makes Summer Guy grin.

We cross the Camel Trail (but don't find Pam at the napping nook) and head into Lakes for a quick refilll/refuel, and scamper away to Monroe (6:34pm). We now need to pull on our light shell's as the windchill is winning over the deminishing heat of the day. Down & up to the summit of Eisenhower (7:39pm), where we put on our headlamps. Down, up & over Pierce (8:04pm), and down to Mizpah. We stash our shells, do a quick refill/refuel here too, and on to Jackson. The woods are sheltered from the wind, but we can still hear it overhead. Again, another beautiful evening for night hiking (Jackson 9:27pm) . The descent off Jackson seemed to take too long, but at trails end my vehicle was waiting (11:08pm), as my husband had spotted it from 19 Mile Brook parking the day before. Summer Guy drives us most of the way to Waterville. End of day 4.

Last edited:
plus day

Tecumseh - Osceola's - Tripyramids - Whiteface - Passaconaway - Hancocks - Moosilauke

It doesn't make sense that you don't, if you can ~

Tho I had made my mind up last September that I would give this hike a try, it wasn't until I heard this quote earlier this year that I truly said Yes, I will.

I had arranged for us to stay at a friends house in Waterville, and the Tim's settled in quickly, but I didn't..... I guess I didn't really sleep. I got up at 3AM and prepared my food for the day, knowing ALL too well how important it was yesterday! Just as I was about to leave for the 4AM start at Tecumseh, Charbs is up and tells me he is joining me. We both drive up to the base of the ski area. The hike up is lovely in the early morning hours, and the air is gorgeous. Once we arrive at the summit clearing (5:09am)a huge wave of fatigue hits me, and I sit down on a rock. The day is looking very grim for me.......... Knowing the miles that are left to cover, and the HEAT that is expected once again during the day, I hit a mental wall. Apparently...........I did a bit of discouraged mumbling about possibly coming to the end of my adventure with this summit......... Charb's is quiet. After a short time I announce "well I guess I might as well head down", and down we walk. I don't remember what or if I talked about much / anything on the way down, or as we arrived at the base area (6:12am), but what I do remember is this, I hear Charb's say to me "would you like me to drive you home?" That sort of wakes me up, and I tell him that I'm going to drive to the Tripoli Road - Mt Osceola parking lot, where I will eat, and I will figure out what to do. Our plan was, that IF I continued, we would meet at the Greeley Pond - Kanc hwy parking area around 10AM.

I was pooped. The short drive to the Tripoli parking was scary...... I stop the vehicle, it's approx. 6:23AM, and I call my husband. "I'm pooped" I say. He's concerned & inquires where I am. I then say in my best Lily Von Schtupp voice "I'm so tired", which he understands. I promise to be careful, and that I will call later. I finish my food, and recline the seat, and fall asleep. A little over an hour later, I wake myself up, because I was snoring...... I know, it's not pretty. I find myself thinking, this is my neighborhood, I know it well, it will be Ok. I start up the trail (7:34am). Still, I wonder if I should be doing this, questioning myself as to how tired I am.....
and then, I hear The Voice. It's not my own, but it isn't from long ago... And he says (many times) "You can't do that". I find myself grinning, and I reply "oh, ya?!" Now, I'm awake. Yes I haven't had enough sleep to be able to have a carefree hike, but I know I can do this. I tell myself ~ this is for all the time you had to spend recovering from knee surgery's, and ALL the days lost to migraine headache's. No matter how much time this day ends up taking, finish the hike ~ I wasn't physically tired, my legs felt very strong. Sleep will be what I do tomorrow.

Up & over the Osceola's. (Osceola 8:37am & E Osceola 9:01am) My neighborhood. Charb's & Val are waiting for me in the parking lot (10:28am), and I'm only 30 minutes behind my original estimated arrival time. I swap gear and EAT. Val & Tim had already spotted a car at the Olverian Brook trailhead. Val drops us off at the Pine Bend Brook trailhead (11:03am), and it is already too HOT..... We actually make very good time, and pass over the Tripyramids (N Tripyramid 12:54pm & M Tripyramid 1:16pm). On N. Tripyramid, I hear my phone beep, and there is a message from Steven. He relays that he had just finished the daily walk with the dogs, and there was a cool breeze in the shade of the Apples trees, where they were resting. I can't tell you how much that message lifted my spirits!!! The heat is horrible on the south slide. A short distance after we enter the Kate Sleeper trail, Charb's announces that he is done...... his problematic achilles has come back with a vengeance. We have a short discussion about him walking out the Downes Brook trail, and I will take the RAV keys and continue. Off I go, feeling horrible about leaving him behind to schuffle out on his own. As always, the Kate Sleeper trail is lovely, and in the shade. Whiteface & Passaconaway are incredibly HOT, and I just keep my head down and go (Whiteface 2:49pm & Passaconaway 4:03pm). As I ascend Passaconaway, I bump into a group of three folks headed in the other direction, and they give me very strange looks............ I giggle to myself and ponder how ragged I must look! The descent off Passaconaway provides much welcome shade and a reprieve from the heat! I arrive at the trailhead at 5:34PM, and quickly drive to the Downes Brook trailhead, where I swap gear, and start to EAT the inbetween hike food. No Charb's in sight........ what to do...... I leave a note and speed off to Lincoln Woods for phone reception.

I contact Val to scoop up Tim, and my husband for a progress report. Back to the Hancocks I race, leaving at 6:38pm. Thankfully, all but the ascent of North is very friendly terrain, and I know it well. It also helps that it's dark for the loop, and that I leave my pack down at the junction. The tunnel effect created by the headlamp beam in the darkness erases all but what you need to concentrate on, placement of your feet. (N Hancock 8:23pm, S Hancock 8:58pm). The woods was very quiet and as I scurried along, I almost felt like I was watching a movie.. the trail is so familiar, it just flowed along. Charb's is waiting for me in the RAV, snoozing.... when I arrive at 10:11pm. Once again, the Gorge-And-Go routine ensues, but thankfully I'm not driving this section!

We arrive at Ravine Lodge to find Summer Guy is waiting! This is it. The last peak! I will be headed for home very soon!!! Away we scurry at 10:47pm, as Charb's calls out "see you soon", and he resume's his evening nap~ I don't talk much, but Summer Guy tells me a story or two, which is really helpful. He knows this all too well ~ The summit is GORGEOUS!!! Clear - cool - calm. "It's something quite peculiar. Something shimmering & white. It leads you here, despite your destination. Under the Milky Way tonight".
Moosilauke summit 12:03am. About face ~ down we trot, the momentum is crazy! And then, there we are, at trails end. WOW.......... I had been going since 4AM (except for that Tripoli road nap thing.....) and it is now 1:12AM. The Tim's give me hugs, we giggle, probably about things that aren't even funny..... And then this is the really weird part, the hiking is over, and we all just kind of drive away. Well, Summer Guy returns to VT, and Charb's chauffeur's me home.

As anticipated, I received the BEST greeting from my three dogs!!! All wiggles & squeaks, and muzzle's to my face. The cats recognized me, and then wound around my feet trying to guide me to the frig. My husband woke up, and sat with me while I ate once again. End of my Summer adventure 2010 ~

I dedicated this hike to my Afgani "sister" Shahr.bano Hamaza

Last edited:
Egads! Wow, congratulations! Enjoy a nice long soak and a few dozen ibuprofen. :)

Congratulations Cath!

And Tim, thanks for your posting. The brevity of your report (and Cath's follow-up) was in-keeping with the brevity of Cath's blitz of the NH48!

Well done!

Incredible. Strong work. What an amazing accomplishment.

CONGRATULATIONS!
:):D:cool:

Yet another (and another) amazing athlete that we get to share the mountains with. Way to go Cath!

What an amazing year it's been for records and all around fast times! Hope the trend continues and that some of them more *ehem* experienced hikers / athletes / trail runners inspire some more younger ones to try out some things like this. Congrats on the fast time, Cath.

-Dr. Wu

Hope the trend continues and that some of them more *ehem* experienced hikers / athletes / trail runners inspire some more younger ones to try out some things like this.
Sometimes the inspiration goes in the opposite direction too. :)

Disgusting... No, impressive... No, disgusting... :)

Actually, its impressive.
(The disgusting part is how long it would take me...)

On the issue of where to start and finish, I've always been of the opinion that one should start and finish at the same spot (ie make it a loop) to remove some of the gamesmanship. But I also prefer trailhead-to-trailhead over start and/or finish on summits.

Doug