Cellar Holes, Latchlocks, and Other Helpful Navigational Aids; 1936 AMC Guidebook,

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
Hello everyone, since I ran out of room in the title section, this report deals with the Southern Peaks,Montalban Range, and Jackson.

P 214-Crawford Path-“Persons bound for Bretton Woods will probably take the Edmands Path..on arriving at Mt Clinton many will be tempted to continue over Mts Jackson and Webster. Although this is a most delightful route, it is much longer and harder than the direct route, the difference being decidedly greater than a glance at the map would lead one to direct.” Seems like an indirect warning to me.

P 214-Lake of the Clouds Hut shows the capacity in 1936 was 80, whereas today it is listed at 90.”Persons intending to use it between September 15 & July 1 are advised to inquire first at the Club House. There is no satisfactory firewood within 1/2m.”

P 215-Ammonoosuc Trail- How far is 15 rods one may ask? By comparing the 1936 Book which says the Ammonoosuc Trail delivers one within “15 rods” of Lake of the Clouds with the 2007 Book which equates the same distance as 200ft. Thus, a rod roughly equates to 13.3333 feet. I’ve never been good at math folks, I took Algebra 2 in 10th grade just because my friends were taking it too.

P 216- Edmands Path- “at 1/3m. it reaches the old road to Barron’s logging camps in Abenaki Ravine.” I thought this was of note as I was under the impression that Abenaki Ravine was one of the few area on those slopes that was not hit by logging like so many others.

P 217 Mount Jackson via Crawford House- Though today Jackson is an easy 4K’er, in 1936 the round trip would have entailed a 3.6m hike as opposed to today’s 2.6m. This due to “path leaves the E side of the Crawford Notch Road at the site of Tom Crawford’s Notch House, 5 min. below Crawford House and a few rods N of the Gate of the Notch.” The extra mile would consume 25min.

P 218-Mount Webster by the Willey House Gully-“Rock climbers may ascend Mt Webster direct from Crawford Notch by the well-marked gully which drops straight from the symmit ridge to the Saco River just S of the camps at the Willey House Site. A path starting behind the ice-house of the camp leads SE to the line of talus which fills the gully for about half its height. Here the talus gives place to about 50yds. Of smooth granite at an angle requiring dry weather and rubber soles for safety. This ends in a low wall of large blocks set somewhat insecurely in sand and gravel, the most delicate of a climb.Above, another short stretch of smooth granite is followed by talus mixed with scree to the foot of the V which is conspicuous from the bottom. Take the R (S) fork(the N ends in scrub); it must be climbed in the water, as the only safe holds are those which have been cleared out by the stream. Above, the gully becomes dry and scree leads out to the first (southernmost)of the Webster Cliffs, where the Webster Cliff Trail is met just N of the crest. Distances. To the ridge 1m. (1 ½ hrs.); to the summit 1 1/2m. (12 hrs.)”

P 219-Webster Cliff Trail-notes from Webster Cliff “the finest views of Crawford Notch are obtained. The cliffs have been descended, but this should not be attempted by the inexperienced.” Later, P 220 says”the trail drops into the woods, descends rapidly, then rises gradually to Mizpah Spring Shelter, an AMC log shelter accommodating about twelve.” I really enjoyed the wording in this next description:”The descent from Mt Clinton to the Willey House can be made in about 4 hrs., but more time is recommended. The views from the cliffs of Mt Webster are such that anyone with a normal appreciation of the grandeur of mountain scenery will add at least 2hrs. for their enjoyment. There is nothing finer in the White Mountains.”

P 221-Dry River Trail-“leaves the E side of the Crawford Notch highway 200 yds. N of Deep Hole Bridge, the bridge over the Saco S of Frankenstein Cliff and 2.8m. N of Notchland.” Aptly named I’m sure.

P 224 Davis Path-“From the E side of the Crawford Notch highway (US 302), ¼ m. N of Notchland RR Station, the Path in a few yards crosses the Saco on a suspension footbridge. This bridge is closed by a gate with a latchlock; which may be opened by parties descending the trail; those ascending should apply for a key at Notchland Inn, where cars may be parked.” Impressive that back then there was a sense of trust, that instead of just bypassing the gate in some way that one would have the courtesy to get the key necessary.

P 225 Davis Path-reveals an impressive viewpoint at 9.9 mi. where “the path enters Cutts Grant, now part of the National Forest. By following the Forest boundary a short distance NE from the path, this ledge is gained at the edge of the great Rocky Branch fire of 1914. An impressive and desolate view.” It later describes a section of the trail as ‘zigzagging boldly’ which I thought was a nice descriptive, and I found it in the same trail section as the 2007 Book.

P 226 Davis Path-mentions at 14 ¼ m. “it enters the present location of the Crawford Path, which affords an easier but waterless route to the summit.” Footnote reads:” there is said to be a spring near the junction of the Davis and Crawford Paths.” I found no reference to this in any more recent guidebooks.

P 227-Stairs Col Trail tells us” the trail is followed by ascending the farther bank of the stream, where it comes out into an open pasture at Littlefield’s clearing. The old cellar hole is about 50yds. From the stream. Keep to the L of it for a rod or two, then turn L and enter the woods again.” After 5.2m one will pass “ruins of an old logging camp…and the ruins of a high trestle.”

P 230- Mt Parker Trail-when following do so “from the four-corners at the Hotel Howard in Bartlett…continue N straight uphill toward Cave Mountain, soon following cart-tracks which as the pasture becomes more and more over-grown” will eventually merge to a logging road.

The section entitled “Jackson” references a 47 page book entitled “A Guide to Jackson, New Hampshire, for Those Who Walk” available for only 50 cents. I like that title.

P 235-in describing Goodrich Falls says “ their beauty has been marred by the construction of the powerhouse, but they are still imposing.”

P 236-Black Mountain Trails-a series of trails mainly on the N and W slopes of Black Mtn, those being:Black Brook, Mack Brook, Camp 14, East Pasture,and Old Mill trails.

P 252-Perkins Notch- “ in 1927 a colony of beavers established themselves at ‘No-Ketchum’ Pond, the source of the Wild River, and built a dam at its outlet. They have thus prospered and there are extensive evidences of their work.”
P 257-Trail from Prospect Farm to Halls’ Ledge-trail made possible because a large boulder bears an inscription stating “These five hundred acres of forest and farm are given to the Town of Jackson in memory of Charles Morrill Baker.” Thank goodness to people like that then and today too, in my opinion! Trail starts ( I like this description also)”from the W of the farm clearing at a level a few feet lower than that of the house and at the upper edge of a group of apple trees, marked by a cairn near two large maples.” Now that’s a trailhead.

There were a few ski trails:
Black Mountain Ski Trail: 15-100ft. wide, drops 1300ft. in 1 m., suitable for intermediates and novices.WMNF has constructed a cold-weather cabin, with stove, accommodating 12.
N. Doublehead Ski Trail-15-40ft. wide, 1500ft drop. Top for experts, lower for intermediates and novices. Promises the WMNF will also build a cold-weather cabin here as it did with Black Mtn.
E Branch& Bald Land Trails-with 10-12 in. snow affords novice runs.
Thorn Mtn. Range-stay on W side for ski practice and novice runs.
To me, this section was all about local landmarks. Many were given such as the homes of people like Prof. J.H. Willits, Woodbury Stanton, and Arthur Fernald as reference points, places like Skunk Hollow were also listed. It just reminds me that for all the work that has gone into providing such a fine paradise for us as hikers today, there such a deep personal history that still walks these trails, even if they are no longer used, and I think that makes this area one of the most unique in the world.
Thanks for reading!

Thanks! I definitely would rely on your equation for a rod than my own!