Chris and Chris in the Sunshine - Ascending Flume Via Osseo, 12/9/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

Reaction score
West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury,
So I'm pleased to have a new hiking buddy - Sunshine Chris from New Hampshire. She and I talked about a hike last weekend but decided against due to unfavorable weather. The forecast for today looked good, so we decided to give a south-north Flume-Liberty traverse a try. Turned out that the most treacherous trail we traversed was I-93. Hoping to get as early a start as possible, we decided on a plan to spot car 1 at Flume Gorge and car 2 at Lincoln Woods, starting from there at 7 am and heading northwest, taking advantage, so the plan went, of the sun's angles to make both morning and afternoon as warm as possible.

Problem was, there was a lot of black ice, starting from near Concord and working north from there. I trailed after Chris and progressively slowed as I continued to do unnerving small fishtails, especially on the bridges. In the lead, Chris adjusted her pace slower to let me keep up. Then, just south of New Hampton, we saw a nasty wreck - a big tractor trailer rig off to the right, overturned, jackknifed, a nasty mess. Right after, appearing to be part of the same accident, on the left, a passenger vehicle off the shoulder in the median, front windshield shattered and chassis crunched. Scary!

We slowed further for emergency vehicles and the salt/sand trucks, and she called me - "Wanna pull off and let these guys sand and salt?" "YES!" It was about 6:05 am. We camped out for a bit at the Dunkin Donuts at the New Hampton exit. Half hour later, sky starting to light up, sand and salt well spread, we made our way north. Ended up, after car spotting, starting from Lincoln Woods just after 8 am.

It was cold and windy as we started, much cooler than in Lincoln, with slight flurries of snow. As we trekked along, the sun rose over Mt. Hitchcock and began warming us. Minimal ice on Lincoln Woods trail, none on Osseo until we got to about 3000'. Above about 3200', we started to get substantial ice on trail. We got to the tricky pass just below the first ladder, I fell just before that on slick ice, and we both scrambled up the pass, deciding, almost in unison, that it was time to don the spikes. Did so at the first ladder. Much improved our footing, was satisfactory, for the most part, from there to the top of Flume. The ladders were an adventure, fun though a lot of work through that 1/4 mile or so of STEEP. Great views from the Downlook - Twins were in the clouds, which were slowly dispersing, everything else within viewing range was clear. Gorgeous, bluebird day, and manageably cold thanks to our friend, the Sun. More great views from the southern overlook left of the trail just before the end of the ladders. What a day!

Up until the steep stretch, I had been dragging butt the whole way. Had only slept 3 hours the night before, was tired from that and the drive up, had a big pack on so I could carry winter supplies including a sleeping bag in case of necessity, and winter hiking is just harder than summer, fall and spring, is all. Not yet to the solstice, and quite a warm day for early December, but for all intents and purposes, this was winter hiking. I at first wasn't sure I could make Flume, but over time my legs kicked in and went on autopilot. The trip went slowly - I am especially slow on extended 30%+ grades such as are encountered on Osseo, interspersed as they are with easier stuff.

By the time we got to the level area above the ladders, I was sure I could get Flume, so long as nothing too hairy awaited us on the summit cone. Slowly but surely, with more stops than I care to admit, we made it, with predictably icy stuff leading to the Flume Slide Trail junction, and a really sketchy pass leading up to the first, southerly summit overlook, but we worked through it, getting to the southern extent ledge at 1:10 pm.

There was a nice coating of rime ice on some of the scrub, which was pretty, and Chris, who has finished all 48 NH4Ks, made way for me to claim the summit - made it! As we took pictures and took in views, we noted that the forecast of 4 mph winds in the valley was not prevailing at the summit - there was no wind at all! This was my second windless 4K summit, the other being Washington on June 17. How's that for luck?!? It was cool at the summit, maybe 25 F, but thanks to the lack of wind, totally manageable.

The views were unbelievably beautiful - all the way to Stratton and Monadnock and Pack Monadnock, with the Adirondacks faintly hovering, just discernable, to the west. The Presidentials were gorgeous, as were all our lofty neighbors - Lafayette and Lincoln with enough snow to show as white as with their higher cousins to the east, and with the Twins and the upper reaches of Guyot and Bond. Tripyramid, Carrigain, Chocorua, the Osceolas, Moosilauke and the Kinsmans all were remarkably beautiful, with none of them surpassing the sheer drama and comeliness of Flume, its cliffs and the steep fall-off to its west. "Wow," hardly suffices.

I eyeballed the next stretch to Liberty. My right leg had been cramping mildly on the cone, moreso toward the final ascent. I decided to stick with the devil I knew, one which involved maybe 75' of ascent amid 3170' of net descent, rather than take on the unknown beast of descending Flume's north side, ascending 550' to Liberty, then the remaining descent. The right thigh wanted to hear nothing of significant further ascents on the day. Liberty could wait until another day - I regretted having to make the decision but knew it was the right choice, and I appreciated that Chris kindly supported me either way.

By now, it was 1:30 pm. We couldn't tarry too long, so after about 20 mins, we started back down. The first scramble down was quite vertiginous, but doable, with less ice than in the forest-sheltered stretches further down. The spikes were good enough for the most part, but the stretch just south of the southernmost secondary summit cliff was really more crampon material. We picked our way through gingerly and breathed sighs of relief once we got back to the flats. The trip down the "chutes and ladders" section was testy but manageable with care. We despiked at about 3000' and traipsed along, mostly at a good clip, finally returning to Chris's truck at Lincoln Woods at about 5:06, three and half hours after departing the summit and 9 hours to the minute after our morning departure.

I want to thank Chris for being great company and for tolerating my snail's pace on the climb and also for having the sense to recommend we pull off 93 at New Hampton in the morning. Literally a life saver!

As for trail conditions, beyond the above-mentioned ice, with some snow mixed in, especially on the cone, the trails were in great shape. Super day for a hike, and the Osseo, with its 396 steps, beautiful forests and fine overlooks, is a memorable, eye-catching trail. One for the books. We saw only 8 fellow hikers on Osseo and a threesome on Lincoln Woods headed to Owl's Head. We had the summit all to ourselves and encountered the other parties just before and just after our stay up top - icing on the cake.

Photos to follow.

Last edited:
Nice report, congrats on making it. Did this hike a couple of winter seasons ago, in January, and the unbroken snow over the ladders was so slippery and tough to negotiate, we ended up crawling on hands and knees over the first few steps. Also, it was very windy on the summit - I was just glad the wind wasn't blowing us towards the drop-off on our left. As it was, it almost knocked me off my feet.

So I'm pleased to have a new hiking buddy - Sunshine Chris from New Hampshire. She and I talked about a hike last weekend but decided against due to unfavorable weather. The forecast for today looked good, so we decided to give a south-north Flume-Liberty traverse a try. Turned out that the most treacherous trail we traversed was I-93. Hoping to get as early a start as possible, we decided on a plan to spot car 1 at Flume Gorge and car 2 at Lincoln Woods, starting from there at 7 am and heading northwest, taking advantage, so the plan went, of the sun's angles to make both morning and afternoon as warm as possible}

Are you kidding Chris- you drove 4 plus hours home after the hike and then set down and wrote this trip report- finishing at 12:12 in the morning!! Wow!!! and by the way - GREAT REPORT!
Glad you made it home safely and thank you for being a great hiking partner. We sure had an awesome day of hiking all the way around. It was a gorgeous trail, warm enough, plenty of sunshine, great views and great company. Thanks for sharing a fun hike with me. Hopefully we will get out again sometime soon.
Here are my pics on the hike. http://s1343.photobucket.com/albums/o793/CrystalCreek7760/Mt Flume with Driver 8 on 12-9-12/

Last edited:
Great pics and TR folks. Glad you had a safe trip. Sander didn't get out till after 7 AM in N Mass and S NH and it was slick here. Can imagine what it was like at 65mph. Wasn't yesterday a great viewing day. We were on Monadnock and visibility N and E were as good as I have seen it in a decade. Could probably have made you folks out if you had waved a pole or something, it was that clear. Wish I hadn't forgotten my camera. Little different story today.

Okay, thanks to Alan, Peakbagr, we've been relocated to the right place. I misplaced this in Trips and Events, happy to see it where it belongs - thanks, Alan! I've finished the lengthy annotations to my Facebook album. I tend to take longer on trips I especially like and whose photos grab my eye. This was a red-letter day, up there with Moosilauke, the two Washingtons, Lafayette (twice) and Lincoln, plus Monadnock. What a great year this Year of the Dragon has been. Looking forward to another fine one in 2013.

Here are some of my favorite photos of the day:

2012-12-09 11.24.31.jpg, 2012-12-09 11.49.40.jpg, 2012-12-09 13.12.18.jpg, 2012-12-09 13.24.20.jpg, 2012-12-09 13.22.36.jpg

Last edited:
Nice views and pics! Sounds like getting to the trailhead was the worst part! I commend your ability to drive all the way up from Connecticut and then back in one day and write a TR! Now that is a long day! Hope you had Monday off! Congrats!

Nice views and pics! Sounds like getting to the trailhead was the worst part! I commend your ability to drive all the way up from Connecticut and then back in one day and write a TR! Now that is a long day! Hope you had Monday off! Congrats!

Thanks, Hiking Lady! I did sleep over in Chris's basement on the way up - she was great and treated me to a nice dinner, too - I got two bottles of wine, one which we shared most of over dinner and the other for her and her husband - he had to work Sat night, so I didn't get to meet him, though I did meet her brother.

But yeah, it was quite a weekend. I so love hiking in the Whites that I've done a few up-and-backs in a day: Moosilauke 5/5, Lafayette via OBP on 5/26, a Lincoln-Lafayette loop on 9/9 -FWT to FRT and down past the hut to OBP, plus an aborted Washington attempt on a beautiful, but very windy, 5/12 and, finally Garfield on 11/23. I usually take the next day off to recuperate.

One happy discovery for me this weekend is that I-93 via 290, 495 and Rt. 3 is faster than I-91 for all F Notch and Lincoln-area hikes other than Moosilauke and Kinsmans from the west. Good to know. Google had misguided me, directing 495 to I-93, maybe for simplicity, maybe to avoid tolls. Adds a good 15 miles to the trip, needlessly. Now that I know better, I'll be taking that route more, whether I'm hiking with Chris - which I intend to do many more times, she's great company - or otherwise. I geeked out on Google maps this am, not just accepting the routes it recommends when I plug in "West Hartford, CT" and "X White Mtn destination" end to end, forcing it to take me through certain routes. It looks like I-91 is best for Rt. 2 and Rt. 302 corridors, with Garfield on one side of the cutoff and Cannon on the other, and with Portsmouth, NH being best for the Conway area up to Pinkham Notch.

But I ramble. :D

Hope you've had some good hikes lately, HL. Would be fun to get out with you and Sunshine Chris someday, perchance.

Last edited:
Chris & Chris at Sunrise and Sunset? Quite an epic report!

Thanks all. We had a great time and Chris made good company. We weren't exactly going to win any races but we weren't running any. We were simply out enjoying the gorgeous day God gave us and absorbing every little intricacy of beauty the forests and mountains had to offer us. I am so thankful to be able to get out in the woods and travel these mountain paths and simply loose myself in all it's splendor! It is so relaxing and really helps me to focus on things that really matter in life. Included in these are: the beauty of nature (simple things like the moss on rocks and trees and lying invitingly along the forest floor, or the suns rays reaching through the wonderously inviting arms of the spruce and hemlock trees or the friendly chirping of a lone chickadee. Then there is the inviting path through the woods drawing me onward and around each bend in the trail and over each steep pitch to surprise me with new and exciting wonders and views of all my mountain friends. I leave my concerns behind when out on a hike and simply live the moment- all my senses becoming aware of the subtle smells, sights, sounds and feel of the forest and hills that surround and comfort me. I look forward eagerly to my next communion with the forests and mountains real soon.

Love your pics, Chris. I looked at a few Monday, but not all, as they were loading slowly. Went through the album just now - your summit area shots are gorgeous, and I love the detail you captured of Bondcliff on the descent - we should've taken 5 mins for the Downlook as we headed down. Next time! :)

Last edited:
Thanks, I liked the photos too. Glad you got to take a look at them. My turn to right the report next time, ok? I like doing it too.:D Going out with a group this Saturday called the Rotters. A group of hikers from another forum I also belong to. Should be 8 of us and I haven't seen them in 3 years. Some I am not sure I've met so that should be fun. Undecided on where we are going yet. Hope to hear soon.