Cl-50

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
Cranberry 50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throwing this out there for anyone wanting to join 1adam12, numnum and son and myself the weekend of memorial holiday...Start Friday and end 3-4 days.pm me for other details..

Rob :D

Good luck! Sorry I can't join you all, it sounds like a ton of fun. I can't wait to read the trip report!

Hmmm, sounds intriguing, I've never hiked much out in the western ADKs, though I have kayaked a bit of Cranberry Lake via Wanakena... Add me to the list of interested.

Thought Memorial day, how fixed are you set to that date?

Jay

pretty fixed Jay .... only time to take the four days and get all my high peaks in for the yr!!...please join in for some relaxing hiking and camping....its sure to be a hoot!!!,lots of fireside stories and tales along 50 miles of conversation..Abit out of the ordinary like high peaks....just hiking... :D Oh and did i mention there is a patch!!:D

A very worthwhile trek! It's beautiful forest without the long, steep climbs of the high peaks.
There's one misleading statement in the article David linked to. It says "...gain only 400 feet of elevation" It may be that the difference between the highest and lowest points on the loop is only 400', but I think the accumulated vertical gain is around 3,000' to 3,500'. That averages out at 60-70'/mile! Can you handle that?:)

Here's a link to the official site: http://www.cranberrylake50.org/
It has a small map with and overview of the route, but you'll need your own topos for hiking it. The trail description section is very helpful. Note that it describes the route going clockwise.

Mark L. The article is in the adirondac magazine. I have read it and aslo got a discover the northwestern adirondacks Book from bill..Nice book ..The NG mapset seems to be quite good for details too.. On one other forum you can read from many who have finished it...Its very exciting by the sounds..:) I plan to start on the north end and come out at the southern end by wanakena and finish it by the long road walk. Please join in.

Viewseeker whatever route, direction, start time, just let me know. Your the trip planner and I am along for the ride :D

Sounds like a great time.

I know in the high peaks there is a permit one must obtain when exceeding so many people. What are the rules in the Cranberry Lake area? I would hate to have 15 people say they are going and then get fined because we have to many people ;)

EDIT: If the weather looks horrible for this weekend such as rain I will be a drop out lol I hate backpacking in rain hahahahahahahaha

Last edited:
The direction is set...its just the how we get there and start..if we have two cars that changes how we will start...or if one car maybe start from our finish and walk the road first...maybe even direction would change due to miles if we do the road first....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lots of time...will decide that night before...over a few cocktails!!! :D

I pray for great weather to top it off. Clear skies and crisp nights to sit by our fire....Can you change your plans Ty?

That would be icing on the cake, nice weather!

I can't! I will definitely be in Colorado. I won't even be hiking until after Memorial Day weekend, so you can rest in the fact that I'll be meeting with business people the whole time you're hiking.

I also wish you NO mud and NO bugs. Let me know how that works out for you.

Hey Rob -

I know I mentioned this on ADKHP, but I'm 90% in...only thing that would stop me is a tentative trip to Shanghai in May that I don't know yet know the exact dates for.

Scott

Hey Rob -

I know I mentioned this on ADKHP, but I'm 90% in...only thing that would stop me is a tentative trip to Shanghai in May that I don't know yet know the exact dates for.

Scott

Wow, where are you going to stash your 10%, wouldn't it be lighter if you are more like 25%? :)

Jay

"I also wish you NO mud and NO bugs. Let me know how that works out for you. " LOL ty...you do know its spring and the foothills of the Black Biting Beasts......:p

Scott...Don't Get Shanghaied!!!!!!!LMAO run man...Well hope your dates work out for all of us....I may need someone to roll adam over when he starts snoring!! :p:D

Well how about you Jay H,??? anymore thought??

Rob, I am in, so long as the conditions look good.. I'm kind of wondering about the mud and bugs, it's right by a lake that has a bunch of rivers running around it, prime black fly breeding grounds..

:)

Jay

Rob, I am in, so long as the conditions look good.. I'm kind of wondering about the mud and bugs, it's right by a lake that has a bunch of rivers running around it, prime black fly breeding grounds..

:)

Jay

Well im sure we will all make a call on weather and black flies..excellent Jay.....mud is a given id say