CNN article on backpacker rescued after 5wks in Gila NF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over ten years ago I was in that area (Gila NP) - mainly driving around checking out the sights - not doing any real hiking, but just exploring. My main memory from that area is that it is so remote! If I recall, it took us about three hours to drive up into Gila from Silver Springs...it is really beautiful and remote.
I am so glad this woman was found and is OK - but she sure is lucky!

The 'official' CDT route bypasses this area of the central Gila in favor of the even more remote Aldo Leopold Wilderness, but it is still a favored alternate route. And it is darn tough country. Where she was just south of the Cliffs it is nothing but canyons and river crossings...scores of river crossings. Not at all manageable in Winter. When Brian Robinson did his Triple Crown a few years ago he bailed on this section completely, instead road walking from Cliffs to Pinos Altos on RT 15. She did really well to stay alive and respect her limits. I'd like to know what she ate.

Lucky Lady!

Indeed!

First thing I thought when I heard this story was how happy it turned out.

The second thing I thought was- she must have done something right to have stayed alive so long on her own.