Crawford Notch Christmas Bird Count Dec 16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
We are starting our second year for the Crawford Notch Circle but a 107 year tradition. Last year we had 1-2' of snow. High winds on the peaks. It was great except there were very few birds...no food. However, this year there is an abundant cone crop and we expect a good result. We could set a national record for blackback woodpecker and spruce grouse.

People of all levels can participate. Last year we were joined by members of the NH Audubon, The Forest Service, AMC staff and naturalists and two VFTTers.

Contact if you have any questions.

Thanks
Craig

Here is the AMC press release;

AMC To Host New Audubon Christmas Bird Count Dec. 16, 2006

All Birders and Nature Enthusiasts are invited to take part.

Bretton Woods NH - The Appalachian Mountain Club calls upon all outdoors enthusiasts throughout the region to participate in the National Audubon Society’s 107-year-old winter tradition, the Annual Christmas Bird Count (CBC), to be held on Saturday, Dec. 16at the AMC’s Highland Center at Crawford Notch.

The CBC provides a way to get out and have fun birding and contribute important information that will affect bird and nature conservation. The event is open to birders of all skill levels. Attendees will take part in what is sure to become a holiday tradition.

Participants can make a weekend of it and enjoy the hospitality, activities, and learning opportunities provided at the Highland Center. AMC has created a special lodging-and-events package for event participants.

The CBC began over a century ago when 27 conservationists in 25 localities, led by scientist and writer Frank Chapman, changed the course of ornithological history. On Christmas Day 1890, the small group posed an alternative to the “side hunt,” a Christmas Day activity in which teams competed to see who could shoot the most birds and small mammals. Instead Chapman proposed to identify, count and, record all the birds they saw, founding what is now considered to be the world’s most significant citizens-based conservation effort and a more than century old institution. Now more than 2,000 individual counts will occur throughout the Americas from Dec.14, 2006 to Jan. 5, 2007.

With its 130-year history of promoting the protection, enjoyment, and wise use of the mountains, rivers, and trails of the Appalachian region and its longstanding dedication to conservation, AMC is pleased to host this Christmas Bird Count at the Highland Center at Crawford Notch for a second year. The CBC circle is 15 miles in diameter, centered on the AMC Highland Center in Crawford Notch. Within the circle are the water habitats of Saco and Ammonoosuc lakes as well as bogs, swamps, beaver dams and rivers. The circle also includes the hardwood forests, boreal forests, and alpine areas of the Presidential Range. Unique to this area is the old growth forest near Gibbs Brook. Also within the circle are portions of the Pemigewasset and Presidential Range-Dry River Wilderness areas. The CBC circle contains many species of unique birds.

CBC participants will have the opportunity to start the day at the AMC Highland Center with a warm and hearty breakfast, spend the day in the field with friends and fellow birders, and enjoy a post-event reception, dinner and a night’s stay. CBC participants can choose to take advantage of any or all of those options.

Apart from its attraction as a social and competitive event, CBC produces valuable scientific data. Now in is 107th year the CBC is larger than ever, expanding its geographical range and accumulating information about winter distributions of various birds. It is vital in monitoring the status of resident and migratory birds populations across the Western Hemisphere. The data have become a crucial part of the U.S. government’s natural history monitoring database. Data submitted, for example, has helped ornithologists understand the magnitude of the effects of the West Nile Virus on regional bird populations. (Count results from past years are available at www.audubon.org/bird/cbc.)

National Audubon’s CBC director Geoff LeBaron states, “Backed with over a century of participation and collected data…the CBC has evolved into a powerful and important tool, one probably inconceivable to any of the 27 participants on the first Christmas Bird Count. With continual growing environmental pressures, it seems likely that today’s participants cannot possibly fathom the value of their efforts in the next century.”

For more information, or to make reservations, please call the AMC Reservations Line at 603-466-2727 (Mon-Sat, 9 am to 5 pm). The Highland Center will offer discounted rates on both private room and shared bunk room lodging for all bird count participants. Shared bunk rooms are $52/person/night; beds in Shapleigh Bunk House are $51/person/night; private room accommodations are $82/person/night; and child rates are $38/child/night.

How do we know where we're going that day ? Can we call dibs on a trail or peak in the circle ? What's involved if I don't stay at the Center ? I hear those Audubon parties get a bit out of control...

Chip said:
How do we know where we're going that day ? Can we call dibs on a trail or peak in the circle ? What's involved if I don't stay at the Center ? I hear those Audubon parties get a bit out of control...

As we get more responses we will form groups and areas of coverage. Some people do call dibs on certain trails. One gentleman who is very prominent in NH birding has taken 100 winter trips up Crawford Path to Mizpah then over Jackson. Some particpants last year specificaly asked to hook up with him. He knows were to look for Boreal owls etc.( a rare find)

Other groups wanted to also get gray jays and headed up to Tom and Field.

The AMC hosted an afer event reception with snacks, hot chocolat and beer etc. During the reception we shared and compiled the reports. After we had the reception dinner. You can stay for all or nothing. However, if what you have heard about Audubon shindings is correct you may just want to stagger to your room.

I can't find anywhere what the schedule for the day is supposed to be.
What time are you getting there ? Orientation ? Breakfast ? Time allotted in the woods ? Regroup ? Reception ? Dinner ? Beer ? My wife and boys are dropping me off and then skiing, most likely, and then re-joining us at the Center, so I need some facts, Man !

I'm going to post my intended route here in a couple weeks if anyone just wants to do that; probably Willey, Field and Tom back to the Center.

Come on People ! Help count some freakin' birds ! There are some interesting off-peak areas being covered that day if you're just interested in a Dec hike !

Chip said:
I can't find anywhere what the schedule for the day is supposed to be.
What time are you getting there ? Orientation ? Breakfast ? Time allotted in the woods ? Regroup ? Reception ? Dinner ? Beer ? My wife and boys are dropping me off and then skiing, most likely, and then re-joining us at the Center, so I need some facts, Man !

I'm going to post my intended route here in a couple weeks if anyone just wants to do that; probably Willey, Field and Tom back to the Center.

Come on People ! Help count some freakin' birds ! There are some interesting off-peak areas being covered that day if you're just interested in a Dec hike !

I am getting there the day before. Breakfast is early..like to have everyone started by 7:30 -8:00 Some people cannot make an early start and jump into an area that is not covered. We went until 4-4:30 until dark. The AMC had a reception waiting for us...with beer. The orientation was handled at brreakfast, I could fill anyone in who cannot make the orientation. There are some details on the manner of the census ie if you have to return on the same trail do not count birds unless you see a flock that exceeds your previous number or if it is an uncounted species. If our scouting efforts yields owls some people may go back out.

You are right Chip, it is a winter hike with a nature count. People can snowshoe, ski, both xcountry or alpine (Bretton woods is in the circle) or whatever. The circle encompasses the southern presis, Dry river, Zealand road, Mt Zealand and Hale. It is a 7.5 mi radius circle centered on the Highland Center.