Decisions, decisions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
I’m catching a ride to NH tonight from a friend because my wife cannot head north until Friday evening. Although I would like to ski at WV on Friday morning my friend might decide to bag it because of the cold, so I will have no way of getting to the mountain, therefore I must decide whether to just hunker down in the house for the day or do a hike. The Welsh/Dickey loop is only about 2 miles from my house, which I have walked many times, so if I do decide to hike I can at least do the loop and try out my new ice axe, or should I just stay indoors and watch old movies.

I just checked the forecast for the Waterville Valley area. Wind chills of -55 are predicted. Hiking in such conditions would be dangerous and irresponsible. So the decision is easy.

Go hiking. :D

Aterwards, watch old movies while tending to your frostbite. Recommended semi-obscure old movie: A Double Life, with Ronald Colman and Signe Hasso. 1947. Directed by George Cukor. A very, very weird movie.

Didn't you mention in a recent thread that you got snowshoes, or crampons, or both for Christmas? I'll bet you're itching to try them out, also, along with the new ice ax.

Steve

Last edited:
I got crampons for Christmas and retro-fitted my wooden snowshoes with new bindings. I tried out the Crampons on a recent overnight to Gray Knob, but I just received an ice axe in the mail yesterday that I have yet to use.

Anyway, I will let my friend decide since he is the one with the car.

Go hiking.
Steve, for some old movies watch Death Hunt. Its about a chase through the wilderness of Alaska in the late 1800's or early 1900's. I almost watched it today because I am sick and stuck in the house. I cant believe I got sick with the best weather of the year.
-Mike

sp1936 said:
I just checked the forecast for the Waterville Valley area. Wind chills of -55 are predicted. Hiking in such conditions would be dangerous and irresponsible. So the decision is easy.

Go hiking. :D

After Mr. Holmes's tragic death on the Twinway, I'm thinking that my pathetic attempt at humor isn't so funny. From now on, I'll try to stick to one of my rules for BBS posting: Don't try to be funny.

I like to hike solo. My family doesn't give me a hard time about it because they think I'm smart and cautious. So I'm telling myself and everybody else: Be responsible. Make smart decisions. I don't remember the exact quote, but Jonathan Waterman once wrote something like "When you die, you don't screw yourself. You screw the people who love you."

Thanks for the movie recommendation, Mike.

Steve

Last edited: