Denali 2015 Trip Report - A Retrospective

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS Excellent job telling the story. One of the hardest jobs for a writer is knowing when the narrator can keep quiet to let suspense build or to allow other points of view to be heard. Adding the radio reports without any comment was masterful.

Most interesting but not surprising personality dynamics. Climbing with others can bring out the best and the worst in people. Going guided on a big trip of this sort can certainly be challenging socially but hooking up on the fly on the mountain itself certainly is in another league. My first trip to Denali was with a guided trip that really melded well on the social dynamic which I considered a stroke of luck. Although some are not so lucky. I have read some accounts of things becoming ornery on the way out in the last days of some of these expeditions. Pent up disagreements and personalties can become unglued especially if some made the Summit and others didn’t. Mark I’m glad you were lucky to hook up with a well adjusted group and have gone onto climb with some of them again.

If I could go back in time and pay twice as much as I did for the cost of my guided climb, I’m quite sure I would.

These guys went 0 for 4 on the summit, one fell all the way down the Autobahn and another lost in court. Just wow.

Thanks, skiguy!

Last edited: