Dial pond blow down?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
Hi all, I was viewing some aerial photos of the Dial pond area to plan a potential winter camp trip. I was there about 15 years ago and the woods were fairly open around the pond except near it's outlet. The photos show a possibilty of alot of blow down around the pond, and between the pond and the lean to. I came down from Dix towards Dial pond a couple of years ago and seem to remember some blow down in that direction although I thought it was higher up than the pond. Also I was wondering, given good snow conditions, if it's possible to climb Dix via the slide that the trail crosses the bottom of and if the bushwack from the top of the slide to the ridge line is as nasty as it looks in overhead photo. I've done the slide up from Elk lake side and thoroughly enjoyed it except for the last 200 yrds of hell. Somebody told me that the slide that the trail crosses the bottom of on the Dial pond side is a good summer climb, so I thought there might be some sort of trail from top of slide to the ridge. Any thoughts?

Blowdown near Dial Pond

I don't know, as I haven't been there since Floyd. I do know that a few sections on the Dix-Round Pond trail got hit hard by Floyd.... Nothing like the Elk Lake side, but still pretty thick. The worst of it was about a half mile past Round Pond... That is what is visible on the trail. I wouldn't be surprised one way or the other finding a fair amount of blowdown. I wouldn't expect it to be more that a few hundred yard ni size.. Unlike the Elk Lake side, where there were sections a half mile square with just about everything blown down.

I was on the Dix/Round Pd trail late this summer and the trail is wide open. Whoever maintains this trail does a fantastic job. Is this an ATIS trail ?

rdl said:
I was on the Dix/Round Pd trail late this summer and the trail is wide open. Whoever maintains this trail does a fantastic job. Is this an ATIS trail ?

The 46ers maintain this trail. All trails to Dix. There are now DEC sign indicating this (sign has been there since late Aug.) Quite a few poeple posting/reading here have worked with us on those trails.

FWIW, the Dial Pond area is off trail, so there may be blowdown areas.