Do I Look Like An Idiot?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about unsolicited advice on the trail?

• Total voters
The stuff that irks me is more of the authoratarian kind like

* Any kind of value judgment on my hike, myself or my equipment

So you are going to get a variety of responses based on how the responder interprets the question.

Tim

Tim, I agree with almost everything you listed. However, as a gear junkie, I love to discuss gear, be it mine or someone else's and would add that to the "welcome" list.

"Hey, I heard that pack was kinda uncomfortable. How's it working for you?"
"Do you have trouble packing everything in there?"
"How's the durability?"

Questions like these (after exchanging greetings, of course) do not bug me. In fact, I genuinely enjoy them. It's helpful to both parties and is often a good icebreaker if you've never met the person before. Also, I'll freely admit that I do take pride in my gear, since I've worked hard so I can afford nice stuff, and will happily relate as much info about a piece as you'd like. So a question about my gear that is framed with genuine interest, or at least not disdain, is welcome in my book. If you're out in the winter and see a guy in an orange MH Torch with brown pants and gold goggles, ask him a question. (it's me! :D)

Now, when it's a statement like "That pack is too small for a winter hike" my brain's response is "Yeah, but it would still hurt if I shoved it up your..." Fortunately though, my brain and mouth are not very well connected and so I either ignore the person or nod and smile. Sometimes, I'll give in and politely explain that I do, in fact, have everything I need, that I don't own microspikes, the crampons are back on campus, I didn't want my puffy, etc.

An addition to the above. There are a few things that should probably be said. For starters, I sometimes do look like an Idiot (yep, capital I) while hiking, but I'm ok with that. It's my choice, and it's usually pretty fun. For example: racing my friend up Sugarloaf from the AT. We dropped our packs, grabbed water and a camera, and took off up the trail. Smart? No. Safe? Of course not. Idiotic? Without question. Fun? Heck yeah! We were sprinting up a mountain on a trail of unknown length while wearing backpacking boots. Photographic evidence of me looking like an idiot:

Me putting the extra length on my hip belt to good use- resting while standing.
n793720453_4047810_3517.jpg

Me sledding (without a sled) at Tumbledown Pond.
n4603236_31023056_2193.jpg

Yes, we know there is no snow. Yes, we know the chairlift isn't running. No, that doesn't bother us.
n4602148_30870505_9350.jpg

Asking where my gear is, saying I should be wearing a jacket or using a sled, or otherwise telling me what to do and how to do it is unwelcome, even when I look like an Idiot. Remember, just because I look like an idiot does not mean that I am an idiot. Please don't jump to conclusions just because I'm walking up a side trail with no shirt, no boots, and no pack and all I've got is a camera, dripping wet hiking shorts, lime green flip-flops, and hair spiked into a mohawk. It's possible that I'm an idiot, but it's also possible that my group was having fun and decided to take a break at a stream crossing and dumped our packs to go exploring down the stream.

n793720453_4047800_3276.jpg

Hi Guys, new member here.

I found this poll interesting since people are quite often giving me advice.
If well intentioned and safety oriented I will listen, especially if from someone who lives in the area, or frequents the area.
I will politely interrupt them and ask: How often do you come here? or.. How many years have you been backpacking around here.

If my questions make them nervous I figure they don't know as much as they may think they do. But if they are open to a couple questions and seem sincerely interested in helping I will listen and try to learn.

Then sometimes, you know they are full of themselves immediately. I like to start talking of Wood Elves and Gnomes to get rid of them if need be, it usually works.

I have done a good bit of reading here on VFTT, you guys have a nice site.

Of course, on the flip side is those who ASK, but ignore or are rude about it. I was stadning on Little Haystack when a group came up on us (southbound) with full packs on, late in the day (it was Flags on the 48 and we had Lafayette so when we brought the flag down it was about 2:30 and we decided to just do the loop), when we asked "so where ya heading?" The woman said "oh some place called Liberty capsite" (her wording). We said "wow, so you have a little ways yet to go, hopefully you make it before the rain." She says "no, we don't have far to go....why do you say that?" We point over to Liberty and tell her she has to climb up the shoulder of that a little ways before dropping down to the tentsite. She gives us this nasty lok "NO, we are not going that far." We tried again to tell her thats where Liberty Springs was, but she continued to give us a "your fecking crazy" look. We gave up and wished her and her companions the best. Granted standing on Little Haystack Liberty DOES give the impression of being a good distance away, but still.....

Brian