Dog and owner attacked by deer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081023/ap_on_fe_st/odd_woman_vs_deer;_ylt=Ah2K37g4W4YVtybyv8Gh0kvtiBIF

I heard there was an 'attack doe' at BSP a few years ago, it became aggressive after a lot of people fed it.

They had a notice up in one of the outhouses about the BSP deers, they call them "beggar deers" and warn you not to approach them, especially with kids, as the deer go after the smallest people in the group and act aggressively to try to intimidate people into giving them food. I like the term 'attack doe' better though.

I had one huffing (they make a loud exhale) and stomping it's feet (front paws pounding the ground) at me last night as I snuck (sneaked ?) around the back yard, trying to see how close I could get and how long I could hang out. There were 4 and this was probably the mom of the other 3. This went on for a while as the other 3 ate grass. Finally mom moved off and the others slowly followed.

Brian and I were walking through the parking lot at Curry Village in Yosemite Valley last month in the evening. The area has a lot of deer walking around. One was walking right next to us. We must have been quiet, and since we had just come down from hiking Half Dome, must have had a "natural" smell. When it looked at us, it seemed to shudder as it suddenly bounded away. Can't say I'm used to having that effect on those I walk beside...:p

While running on a trail in Minnewaska a couple of years ago, Iske was kicked in the head by a deer. I didn't see the interaction, but I assume that Iss got too close and the deer felt threatened and they certainly can defend themselves. Iske got it under the jaw (an uppercut) and lost consciousness. I had to carry her out. She recovered fully, but cute little Bambi can be really dangerous. I certainly learned renewed respect for those hooves, and renewed efforts at keeping Iske a safe distance from deer.

Remember the old Catskill game farm? Those animals got pretty aggressive about seeking food! :eek: My daughter was traumatized by the teeming throngs of pigs released to be fed. It was a little creepy.

Close

This girl was on a trail in Baxter and we got this close. In retrospect I probably wouldn't do it again. Wild animal after all.

23bax62199.jpg

KDT

This girl was on a trail in Baxter and we got this close. In retrospect I probably wouldn't do it again. Wild animal after all.

23bax62199.jpg

KDT
Evil, pure evil...I feel like she is staring into my eyes to steal my soul! ... While nibbling shrubs:eek: