Dog Gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpy

Reaction score
Can anyone make a recommendation on a coat and booties for a dog? I'd like to get Alaska suited up for these colder days.

Ok, I'll get started with what I use for Lauky. I have a jacket and a coat that I use with Lauky. Year round I either carry in my pack or have him wear a soft shell jacket by CE Canine: http://www.rcpets.com/rcpets/index.php/browse/category/id/CE_Ct#main_panel

This is an outstanding and very versatile jacket just like a softshell for a person. It has a Goretex outer shell with a light fleece insulation. I was at first skeptical of the need for Goretex with a dog because of course he doesn't sweat. But I came to realize that it has a very practical application in that if you put it on after his coat gets wet, as in getting caught in a rainstorm, the coat can dry under the jacket as he wears it. It's windproof and pretty well all you need for three season hiking and for some breeds would be all the dog would ever need. It zips on and covers most of the underside while still leaving him room to do his business.

In the heart of winter when it's really cold I have a coat that I use for Lauky that has more insulation. http://www.k9topcoat.com/product.asp?specific=168 It is very easy to put on and also covers the underside well. When it's really cold I put both of them on him and he still has no problem moving around.

I should say that neither one is inexpensive. In fact I'm a bit jealous of what he's got to wear. I don't think I have anything quite so nice for myself.

As for booties. I always carry them, summer and winter in case of an injury to the pads of his feet. I know there is a sharp difference of opinion here, but I don't put them on him in the winter unless there is an injury because I believe he needs his nails for traction. On flat or gently rolling terrain I can see how they would be valuable in the snow to keep the pads from balling, but on the steep trails we deal with, I deal with balling in other ways and allow him to use his nails as nature intended.

Thanks Audrey. I've only been a trail adopter for a year. I love it!
Ed, I saw you last week on Tecumseh and thought about asking you about it then. Thanks for the info. I agree with the booties. For the most part he would not need them. Today I think he could have. He was showing signs of discomfort because of the cold.

Clothing for the dog is good but........please don't forget to pack a "DOG FIRST-AID KIT". You never know when you may need it and it could make a difference in the dog's life!

Here's a picture of Lauky showing off his coat today.

IMG_4108.jpg

Hi Ed,

Woof Lauky,

My father in law has a massive standard poodle that he has suggested I take out for a hike.

Not being my dog and not having a lot of experience with canine gear I thought I would ask you. Have you used any of the "mushers" creams for dogs paws? This is an area I know very little about so any input would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Z

Hi Ed,

Woof Lauky,

My father in law has a massive standard poodle that he has suggested I take out for a hike.

Not being my dog and not having a lot of experience with canine gear I thought I would ask you. Have you used any of the "mushers" creams for dogs paws? This is an area I know very little about so any input would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Z

Yes I have and it does help. It does come off with time and it helps to put on another coat. Trimming the hair in the pads also helps in two ways. It helps to keep the balls from forming and it pulls less when pulling the balls out of the pad. If the snow does ball up you do need to get it out as it is very uncomfortable for the dog I imagine like walking with a stone in your shoe.