Dorset Peak 9/1/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trail and woods were very damp with muddy spots at the "T" intersection and some rather large mud bogs on the north summit trail. There's one big blow down on the foot path from the ATV road to the south summit which must be fairly recent as there was no evidence of a walkaround.

No special equipment needed.

Thanks to VFFT members this was an easy peak to bag. I purchased the Day Hiker's Guide to Vermont at the recommendation of Daniel Eagan - which has a map of this hike. I borrowed a GPS track from Akafuzzjones to reference should we take a wrong turn.

I relied on Damselfly's description from her post Irene trip 10/7/12 of a herd path to the left as the Day Hiker's guide did not address the area just below the hunting cabin were the trail abruptly ends in favor of a mess of rock washout. This area is confusing as the old logging road ends abruptly, look across the washout to your left and you will see the herdpath. Several little paths go off to the left in this area but so long as you have your eye on the washout area you will come to the continuation of the logging road (the hunting cabin is right there).

Since t-storms were predicted I opted not to take the third right up the rough footpath to south summit but head straight toward doorknob junction and then left to the summit of north peak (NEHH peak). Back at doorknob junction we went straight to visit the south summit and headed down the foot path making the triangle complete.