doug coombs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else saw this, but here are a few posts i saw on the k2trav.com website.

4/3-- 10:30 pm PDT--- Doug Coombs has been killed in a fall while skiing in or around La Grave, France. Details of Coomb's death are just starting to emerge, but earlier reports that the legendary guide and pioneering extreme skier was caught in an avalanche appear to have been erroneous. The most current information we are receiving, from a source in contact with people on the scene in La Grave, is that Doug Coombs was skiing at the end of the day with three friends. They were descending a steep couloir. One of the four, reportedly a man from Colorado who had been a regular in La Grave the past couple of seasons, began skiing first, while Coombs and the others watched from above. The friend from Colorado apparently hit a patch with an ice layer underneath and fell in what was described as a definite "no-fall" zone. The Coloradoan reportedly washed over a cliff and disappeared from view.
At this point the details become sketchy. Coombs is said to have wanted to get a rope in order to check on his fallen friend's condition. While assessing the situation, Coombs also fell. The remaining two skiers in the party then called for a heli rescue. When the helicopter arrived some 20 to 30 minutes later, Doug Coombs was already dead. The victim from Colorado was still breathing, but unfortunately died later in the hospital.

Once called the "Clark Kent of skiing" by Skiing Mag, the unassuming-looking Doug Coombs began his guiding career in 1986 as a heli guide in Jackson, Wyoming. He won the first ever World Extreme Skiing Championships in Valdez Alaska in 1991, and soon after returned with his wife Emily to start the first heli ski operation there, Valdez Heli-Ski Guides. Within a few years, Doug and Emily's operation employed a team of 12 guides using three A-star helicopters to serve clients from all over the world. In 1997 the Coombs' moved their other operation-- Doug Coombs Steep Skiing Camps Worldwide-- to the European alps, running camp sessions out of Verbier and La Grave.

Reaction to the news of the untimely and tragic death of Doug Coombs has been pouring in all evening. Russell Rainey called in to share stories of skiing with Coombs in and around Jackson Hole. "Doug Coombs was such a beautiful skier and human being," said Rainey. "The last time I skied with Doug was here at Snow King of all places. We ran bumps together over and over on the steepest run on the mountain. The bumps were so big we would lose sight of each other in the troughs, but Doug made it look easy and he was as relaxed as he would have been sipping espresso in the lodge." Rainey continued, "but the thing that made Doug such an outstanding person was his way with people. When he was instructing or coaching he had the ability to make everyone feel special, whether they were negotiating a steep and hairy chute, or making turns down a blue run. He would tell them how great they were doing and just be super supportive. I was sickened by the news tonight of Doug's passing. It's such a terrible loss to the skiing community, and a horrible tragedy for Emily and their young son. My heart goes out to them"

Others recalled Coombs' easy style, quick smile and warm personality. "He was just an incredibly good guy," said one, a sentiment that seems to be shared by all who knew him.

Stand by for more news from La Grave and Jackson, and more reaction from the worldwide skiing community to the death of Doug Coombs.

and

Here is the 1st hand play by play from Mountainzone.com post.

WARNING - this is somewhat graphic so stop now if you don't want to know the details...

=====

"Here is a report from Matt Farmer on the accident involving Chad VanderHam and Doug Coombs. If you are not interested or uncomfortable with reading the details of the accident please do not read any further.

La Grave, France 16:45 April 3, 2006
Christina Blomquist, Doug Coombs, Chad Vanderham, and I, descended from the top of the Telepherique de la Meije to ski the “Le Polichinelle” Couloir.

This route maintains an average steepness of 40-45 degrees through a series of three successive couloirs linked by leftward traverses at the base of each chute. The couloirs get progressively longer, from approximately 40 to 100 meters, before a final leftward traverse leads to mellower lower angled gullies which feed back into the apron below the couloir. The base of the third chute is approximately 3-4 meters wide and exposed to the top of the final cliff which is about 50 meters high. Below this cliff is a small couloir to the right and a 15-20 meter cliff to the left which both end up at the top of the snow apron below the main couloir system. 30-40 cm of untracked light snow was well bonded to a base of firm neve. General stability of the snow pack was good and the hazard rating for the day was a 2 on the French scale. Weather conditions were beautiful, the sky clear and blue without clouds or wind.

Chad descended the first couloir and waited to the left of the base as Doug skied, followed by me and then Christina one at a time. Doug traversed left and skied the second chute followed by Chad, then myself and Christina. Chad led the third couloir which curves right out of view of the starting point. Doug skied next and was subsequently followed by Christina.

Just as Christina entered the middle of the top of the third couloir Doug yelled up that “Chad fell, come down with a rope.” I traversed into the middle of the couloir to the point at which I could see down to Doug who was side stepping down a rock rib below and right of the constriction at the base of the couloir. Christina and I saw Doug yelling Chad’s name while side stepping down and attempting to see over the cliff to his right. We saw his skis slip on the rock and he fell out of view over the rib.
I skied down to the constriction and carefully continued down softer snow left of the rock rib that Doug had been standing on. I continued along side the rock rib, sidestepping down and right on snow to within 2 meters of where Chad’s ski was sticking vertically in the snow at the top of the cliff. From this vantage point I could see Chad’s body approximately 150 meters below on the apron of snow below the cliff at the base of the couloir. Doug’s body was also visible, motionless, but sliding slowly down the apron coming to rest about 30 meters beside Chad.

At this point, 17:29, I called the Haute Alps rescue services for a helicopter and then (17:33) called a local guide friend to confirm the helicopter dispatch and set other resources in motion. I directed Christina down, through the crux constriction, and left towards the exit into the mellower gullies that feed back into the apron below the central cliff at the base of the third couloir. I side stepped and boot packed 15 meters back up to the left exit and proceeded down.

I arrived at Doug first, at about 17:40, as he was slightly higher on the slope than Chad. I repositioned Doug, who was lying on his right side, bent at the waist and facing up hill with his skis off. There were no immediately obvious major injuries or deformities. He was pulse less, with out respirations. His eyes were open, pupils fixed and dilated. His lips were yellowish gray and his right ear purple. I preformed rescue breaths and CPR for approximately two minutes by which time Christina had arrived at Chad and declared that he was breathing. I left Doug, who had no indications of response and moved downhill 20 meters to Chad.
Chad was lying face down in the snow with his feet facing up hill. We carefully reoriented him and opened his airway. His breaths were regular and deep, his pulse strong and about 90 bpm. He had much coagulated blood in his nose, his eyes and lips were slightly swollen and discolored. Chad’s pupils were equal and responsive to light but he was unresponsive to shouting or pain. Christina returned to Doug while I maintained Chad’s airway, giving occasional rescue breaths, until the helicopter arrived at 18:03. Three members of the PGHM were lowered to the scene with their equipment and began administering an IV to Chad. We installed an oral airway in Chad’s mouth and placed him in a rescue sled. By this time Chad’s facial edema was pronounced but his breathing and pulse were still strong and he had begun to move his arm and squeeze my hand in response to my own squeezes. As the doctor began administering medicine to Chad, I returned to Doug to resume CPR. The helicopter returned in 10 or 15 minutes to transport Chad to a hospital in Briancon, 30 kilometers east. At this time one of the two remaining PGHM informed us that the doctor had already declared Doug dead. We replied that we knew and continued CPR for another 20 or 30 minutes. The helicopter returned and transported Christina and me back to La Grave. We were met by Jean Charles of La Meije and brought to where many of our friends had gathered. While debriefing the current situation with them the local police arrived to take a statement and during this process we were informed that Chad was dead as well."

Truly a tragedy. This guy was the best skier in the world, IMHO. He could ski a 60 degree couloir and look like he was cruising down a beginner trail at a local resort........a smooth operator, for sure.

There's been a lot posted on the ski forums about him and I sort of put together an interesting piece of trivia. Two of the greatest big mountain skiers that ever lived grew up in the greater Boston area....one was Doug Coombs (Bedford, MA) and the other is Chris Davenport (Ipswich, MA). Boston....the skiing epicenter of the world....who knew ?

So sad, I've read he was a great teacher,friend,father...

My instant reaction is always, why do people put their lives at risk? I admit I am not a risk-taker; even flying is a necessary evil.

As people acquire greater skills, many seek out more thrilling adventure. Is it in the person's makeup to get high on being on the edge?

A recent trip report, a couple of hikers in the Adirondacks pressed on in spite of knowing they would be benighted on a cold night and weren't very well prepared. I turn tail and run as soon as it's obvious my plans aren't working out and alternatives don't feel right.

That's too bad about Doug, he sounded like a nice guy. I think I've seen him ski, but not in person, very impressive.

I was just re-reading Mark Twight's book, "Extreme Alpinism", and while he doesn't go into detail in the book, I was amazed at how many of his friends have perished doing the same extreme sports. I asked the same quesiton as audrey, why the risks, but came to the conclusion they don't see them as unnecessary risks, they see them as challenges with steep consequences of failure. I think he even says this at chapter 10 or so (the book is at work).

I think of Beck Weathers every time I go out in the extreme cold, and his story keeps me level headed when I want to push forward.

king tut said:
a link to the NY Times article is here, it's pretty interesting
http://www.mydigitalrealm.com/chat/viewtopic.php?t=1322

You have to join a chat group to use that link, but the article was really worth it. For me the most chilling quote came from his wife, who was with him at the top. She looked down, thought about her son, and decided he was more important than the adventure. When she heard the helicopter later, she said she knew what happened right away.

for those of you interested in possibly contributing to his family....here is what K2 has come up with...

:::CROSS POST FROM TGR:::

Link to K2 site for Doug Coombs Memorial Poster http://www.k2skis.com/

For any of you that saw my post in the oiginal Doug Coombs thread, the TGR Maggots have been able to work with K2 to re-issue the famous "Upon this rock, I build my church" poster as a memorial to Doug Coombs. All of the proceeds from the sales of this poster will go to Doug's wife Emily and three year old son David.

Doug was a fantastic role model for our sport, and his influence has greatly improved back country skiing. Doug was on Mt. Washington just this past fall I believe while home visiting family in Vermont.

Please support Doug's memory, contributions an family.

RIP Doug Coombs

M

Thanks for the link King....I read that article yesterday. I thought it was very well done, especially his wife's comments at the end.

The various ski forums have had tons of discussion relative to this incident and whether people that pursue careers like Doug's are irresponsible for taking these kinds of risks once they become responsible for the lives of others (Doug left his wife and a two year old son). Some think this kind of behavior is self-centered, while others argue that "more people get killed in cars....." and since he was a professional the risk was not unusual for him and should be looked at as a "work accident" that could happen to police, firefighters etc. The problem I have with this analogy is that people in other dangerous professions generally provide for the financial security of their families through pretty good benefit packages; I'm not sure its the same for extreme skiers. Tough issue.......any opinions ?

Sugarloafer said:
Thanks for the link King....I read that article yesterday. I thought it was very well done, especially his wife's comments at the end.

The various ski forums have had tons of discussion relative to this incident and whether people that pursue careers like Doug's are irresponsible for taking these kinds of risks once they become responsible for the lives of others (Doug left his wife and a two year old son). Some think this kind of behavior is self-centered, while others argue that "more people get killed in cars....." and since he was a professional the risk was not unusual for him and should be looked at as a "work accident" that could happen to police, firefighters etc. The problem I have with this analogy is that people in other dangerous professions generally provide for the financial security of their families through pretty good benefit packages; I'm not sure its the same for extreme skiers. Tough issue.......any opinions ?

I wonder he shouldve had at least something set up to provide for his family. I mean this was a company that charged $2500 a week for "steep skiing courses" and even more for guided tours. I also know that even though his wife and child have moved back to Jackson Hole, that they still employ 30+ guides in France. I also have to believe that they provide some sort of insurance to those guides as well as to their customers.

He might have some bennies from his sponsors too like Marmot.

I think that in life there is risk..if you proceed through life in a "bubble" you will never truly live......Doug, IMHO, truly lived.........

R.I.P. Doug you will be sorely missed by all those that follow.

M

KMartman said:
I think that in life there is risk..if you proceed through life in a "bubble" you will never truly live......Doug, IMHO, truly lived.........
M

I have mixed feelings about this issue. While he may have 'truly lived' during his days on the edge, he will never know the joys and challenges that are part of raising a family, nor will his son ever know his father other than what he reads or hears from others as he grows up. There is way more to life than taking risks when you're young.
That's the real tragedy here, imo.

Chas.

chas said:
I have mixed feelings about this issue. While he may have 'truly lived' during his days on the edge, he will never know the joys and challenges that are part of raising a family, nor will his son ever know his father other than what he reads or hears from others as he grows up. There is way more to life than taking risks when you're young.
That's the real tragedy here, imo.

Chas.

It is very sad for his wife and MOST for his child that will never know him...like you mention he will only hear how "great" his dad was...he won't truly know for himself..

I tend to agree with you that it was sort of irresponsible to have a child with the profession he chose. He knew the risks, and should've thought this was a potential situation....im sure though that he never put the thought into his head that one day he wouldnt come back from a "tour", you know...don't think bad thoughts....?

It is very sad in general..

M

question from a non skier

When I read the article in the NYT a couple of days ago, I was reminded a bit of the tragic accident on Clay a couple of winters ago (Pipeline Gully?).

In terms of steepness or difficulty how do these types of couloirs that Coombs was skiing compare to some of the gullies and ravines in the presis - not even close?

As someone who can only manage to cross-country ski on a track, I am awed by these routes and the people who ski them.

Interesting line of reasoning... was he irresponsible to have a child and then take the risks he took?

It's easy to answer yes, but that begs the question; where is the line between appropriate and inappropriate risk taking? He did provide, and still is providing, for his family through his work. He and now his wife, ran and will continue to run a very successful guiding company. The company likely wouldn't be so successful if not for the celebrity status Doug derived from his high risk skiing.

What if Doug were an investment banker working 80 hours a week, eating poorly, not exercising, carrying around 40 extra pounds, comepletely stressed and he dropped dead of a heart attack at 45? The risks are different, but they are risks all the same. What about fisherman, police officers, firemen, iron workers, loggers, miners, etc. There are a lot of high risk professions that people enter in order to provide for their families. I think that because Doug's profession is other's recreation, people hold him to a different standard and believe he was taking undo risk.

It was one of those tragic, split second, decisions that lead to a terrible accident. We all put ourselves in harms way every day and I don't think you can live your life thinking about all of the bad things that could happen.

clg898 said:
What if Doug were an investment banker working 80 hours a week, eating poorly, not exercising, carrying around 40 extra pounds, comepletely stressed and he dropped dead of a heart attack at 45? The risks are different, but they are risks all the same. What about fisherman, police officers, firemen, iron workers, loggers, miners, etc. There are a lot of high risk professions that people enter in order to provide for their families. I think that because Doug's profession is other's recreation, people hold him to a different standard and believe he was taking undo risk.

All the above that you mention are semi valid, but none have the inherent risks of big mtn ski guiding (avalanches, crevases, etc.). The broker can diet, loggers, miners, fireman and the like can limit the risk as they are aware of the pitfalls. However one in Dougs chosen profession is at the mercy of mother nature and she is an unperdictable lady at best...He also is providing for his family, but would you rather have money or your dad? I choose my dad personally.

I don't fault Doug for the profession he chose, but I think he couldve thought more about who might "lose out" should he not return from an expedition, i.e. his wife and newborn child. He may have had the "im going to do what I love no matter the repercussions" syndrome. Accidents DO happen though....

M

chipc said:
When I read the article in the NYT a couple of days ago, I was reminded a bit of the tragic accident on Clay a couple of winters ago (Pipeline Gully?).

In terms of steepness or difficulty how do these types of couloirs that Coombs was skiing compare to some of the gullies and ravines in the presis - not even close?

As someone who can only manage to cross-country ski on a track, I am awed by these routes and the people who ski them.

I've never skied in France, but I have skied Tucks a few times and I my bet is that nothing in the Presis is even close. Maybe you can find some steep pitches that are 50 degrees plus, but not for as a sustained length. These couloirs at La Grave are all "no fall" zones....you fall; you die. Mountaineering skills on this terrain are as important (at least !) as skiing skills....lots of rappeling etc. Pretty hairball stuff !!

Interesting thoughts. What is better, to die in midlife having lived a full life or to die at an old age and to have never taken risks or enjoyed life to its fullest extent? Who knows what is better, who am I to say how to live one's life? He wrote his own story, and it is probably more interesting than the majority of other people's stories. If he had never skiied cliffs and expert terrain, than I would have never known his name. Would we all be mourning the loss of Doug the trash collector or whatever his profession would have been? Probably not. A risk reward scenario is all part of life.

So, celebrate the good things, what he did in life. I was not put on this earth to second guess him. We can all learn from other's mistakes, but i think that our own particular lenses that we see our own reality through can decide on how we interpret how to apply life's lessons.

One other thing I was thinking about when I read this was the whole Beck Weathers incident on Everest. In his book he talked about how the inner demons got the best of him when he was working and the only way to get them out his mind and get out of that dark place was through extreme mountaineering and adventuring. Basically risking life to appreciate life. I always wonder how many of these athletes have the "nothing to lose" mentality that can give them the rush that makes life seem OK afterwards.