Drysuits

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
I might be in the market for one latter in the season.
Does anyone have one they like?...or don't like ?
I see in a magazine there is a review of five of them.
In stores I see prices from $200-$700+ they're must be some big differences for that kind of price range.
....and the big question....
What the heck is the sideways zipper down low on the front of them??
I mean I've seen the "trap door"style of pants before for men and women...
....but the sideway zipper... is that for guys?
I've seen some "variations on a theme" or two in my days...but I don't get it..I don't think I've ever seen anybody quite put together that way...

perhaps I'm missing something...er...perhaps I should rephrase that...

From what I know, two kinds of drysuits, the cheaper breathable nylon kind of material versus the true gore-tex drysuit. Much like shell jackets, the goretex will cost you a lot more than the more inexpensive ones but I have the feeling that since this is your entire body, to me, it seems worth it to try to save up for the real gore-tex one. A drysuit that doesn't breathe well will be very uncomfortable, more so than a shell jacket used for hiking which you can at least unzip. Unzipping a kayaking drysuit defeats its purpose.

I've heard that NRS makes some of the better inexpensive ones, they are kind of the REI for paddlers...

I can't answer your zipper thing, although it is probably something to do with the male anatomy and relieving ourselves.... :)

Jay

Mountain Surf, of "someplace" Maryland, makes (or made) what I think they call a "whitewater suit" that is basically a two-piece dry suit. That's what it is supposed to keep you and mine has, without fail. It is a blend of nylon and neoprene. I bought mine w/out research six years ago at Canoe King on Rte 16 in Ossipee and have been very happy with it.

It is also maybe the last item of clothing I remember buying that says "Made in the USA" on the label.

Kokatat Supernova $425

Many of us that paddle closer to shore in winter, own this semi-dry suit.

if i were paddling in coastal conditions further from shore or alone, i would own a full drysuit.

Having tested this with a neo vs. latex neck enclosure, I get a cap-full of water in.

I see Drysuits made by a British company (I think) named Palm. They are quite a bit less expensive. It's pretty tempting ...Anyone ever hear of them?

Oh, one more question please...
Hood Tunnel...what is that feature??
thanks ...spdr

Palm makes nice gear..

But it's usually not Gore-Tex so it's less money. My dry suit is Gore-Tex and it still does not breathe very well. I'd say don't waste your money on a Gore-Tex suit! If I had to do it over again I just go for the non-breathable version seeing as my Gore-Tex is a sweat box that I paid $400.00 more for... The problem with dry suits is that the material is so heavy & the DWR coating thick you'll have a very tough time pushing vapor at anything other than 30 degrees or less. Just my .02.. The only issue I'd have with Palm is getting repairs done or replacing gaskets. I've sent mine back to Kokatat once for repairs and they are fairly decent to deal with...

I've heard both opinions!

One that it is not worth it to buy the non-goretex inexpensive drysuits and like Kaibar, that it's not worth it to buy the expensive gore-tex ones... Maybe it's why I don't own a drysuit and don't paddle much in the cold water months.

I do have a drytop but since I don't have a roll, I wouldn't simply rely on the drytop to keep me warm.

BTW, STP has some non-goretex drysuits on their website now..

Jay

Jay I think you did not understand me..

I was saying that I have a Gore-Tex suit but if I had to do it again I would not spend the money on Gore-Tex. It does not work and it's a waste of money. Buy a waterproof non-breathable!