Easy hikes to good foliage views on Wednesday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csprague

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am taking Wednesday off to go for a hike out in the White Mountains, and will be joined by two friends who are inexperienced hikers. Given the wind forecast, I don't want to go anywhere with too much exposure. What I do want is a short hike (under 2000' of gain) with a good payoff at the top. If nobody replies with a better idea, the current plan is to climb Mt. Avalon. FWIW, I am coming from Gorham Maine, and my friends are coming from Montpelier, VT, so somewhere roughly half-way for each of us would be nice.

Thanks!

Chris

I hate to answer my own question, but I'm adding Zeacliff to the list of possibilities. It might be less windy there as well.

May be a little too easy based on your requirements but Middle Sugarloaf in the Twin Mountain area is a great hike. It's only 1.3 miles and about 900' of gain one way (or a bit longer if you add North Sugarloaf which has nice but lesser views). The top is just about 360 degree views on bare rock and should have tremendous foliage right now based on where it was two weeks ago when I did Zealand Ridge (and the Zealand outlook was spectacular so I'd definitely second Zeacliff if that is one of your choices. Please be aware though that this trail is very steep and rugged and I suspect will have a lot of slippery areas from fallen leaves. I wouldn't consider that a beginner hike. The easier climb up the Twinway to the outlook might be more appreciated by the newbies)

Another possibility would be Mt Crawford a little further down Rte 302. Has a fairly short, very steady (but not brutal) climb and the summit has great views of the notch from interesting ledges and open areas. One of my favorite "small" mountains. Lot of open ledge on the spur path approaching the summit and if you continue past summit spur trail there are also some interesting open ledges before it enters the woods for the long stretch to Stairs Mtn.

One last suggestion would be the Webster Cliff Trail. It has a steep climb up out of the notch with restricted views of Crawford Notch. It then tops out though and follows the ridge with a series of very impressive outlooks and ledges. The trail then alternates through flat areas and easy to moderate scrambles and brief climbs to progressively higher and more dramatic outlooks. It's a good trail because there are a lot of great natural "stopping points" along the way if people get tired or you could continue on all the way to Webster summit if everyone is still feeling strong (which is a nice peak). The foliage was also excellent in this area a few weeks ago so it should still have a fair amount of color.

Last edited:
The two people I'm going with are beginner hikers, but their overall physical fitness is decent. The wife is a regular competitor in Ironman triathalons, and the husband works on cars and plays video games, but does go for the occasional long bike ride :)

The two people I'm going with are beginner hikers, but their overall physical fitness is decent. The wife is a regular competitor in Ironman triathalons, and the husband works on cars and plays video games, but does go for the occasional long bike ride :)

Gotcha. I'd probably go with Webster Cliff Trail then. Lot of variety, views start pretty early in hike and there are may great stops and scrambles along the way which adds to the fun factor versus the boring trudge up to Avalon (which is a great summit but a very boring approach IMO, what I'd call an "all or nothing hike"). You'll be able to make the hike as short or long as you want without missing the great views. Crawford sounds like it would be well within everyone's fitness level and would be an easier hike but still have the big views. Sugarloaf probably will be too short and easy to fit the bill for your group (although still a great hike for another day or as a topper for another short hike - good sunset peak due to it's short length and bald summit).

Webster Cliff is indeed a great hike, but I've done it on a windy day before and it was rather less enjoyable! Forecast for Wednesday is saying 20-30 with higher gusts.

Webster Cliff is indeed a great hike, but I've done it on a windy day before and it was rather less enjoyable! Forecast for Wednesday is saying 20-30 with higher gusts.

I think you'd be fine for most of the hike the way the outlooks face and the amount of trees and scrub between outlooks but if you've already done it that takes some of the fun away. I did it for the first time this Summer and it quickly became one of my favorites. Mt Crawford is in the trees until a few tenths from the summit and there is plenty of scrub and trees the whole way to get out of any wind there might be, and being only 3100' or so the wind should be fine (think weather.gov forecast was calling for 20 mph at summit). Not much to look at on the way up but the summit is very cool and has plenty of nice views.

I think you'd be fine for most of the hike the way the outlooks face and the amount of trees and scrub between outlooks

People who have not done Webster Cliff in the wind underestimate it. It's nasty. Very nasty.

People who have not done Webster Cliff in the wind underestimate it. It's nasty. Very nasty.

Really? Only did the whole length of it once and there were maybe 15 mph winds with some gusts. Thought it was harmless. I've been on the cone of Webster several times in pretty stout breezes too and it really didn't seem out of the ordinary to me. Does it swirl or blow off the outlooks? Does the wind magnify as the wind squeezes through the notch out of the NW and make winds stronger than they might be in surrounding areas (kind of like how that col where Crawford Path/Edmands Path/Mount Eisenhower Trail converges - it often is way windier here than the rest of the ridge). Just curious. Not doubting you but I'm surprised to hear that. Guess I need to pay it another visit on a breezy day.

Checkout Irene's Path in Watetville Valley. You can loop it from the Valley or from the with a car drop from the Kanc via Livermore Road/Greely Ponds. Just don't skip the small side trail to The Scaur. This is a fairly wooded hike, but some very nice woods!

If you want to do a mountain, then Hedgehog is a fine suggestion. I find staying lower makes the foliage more impressive. Crawford and Webster are both a bit higher (but still great)!

Not sure if you got the beta for this one but Haystack Mtn., AKA "The Nubble is great.

PzVItajg9fcRw1yWnR0uFBZPMu3DtGTA0rRtuStJ5Y4qmLiy1taPUaxAUAvpUYvUaWrZ2nX0DxmHHSlc_HBQQeiX26Ny8Vr7AaI3EPIfWDZvVgQMFylHV4P8zBQn2yt-IM9TMMdHZIoHfxz4Y2Sk-OGxUsp3G_Gq-1B55049xOZU0U5tSX5hhSb2bBq-JnFYV2W-bUG5h87kFsE81alVLvpXtypOXX7sE1aosKt2lBbfbGGHWdJKhvDTVj6CqkqcpvVSkIzeLyamcfga3gi9VR2UijUFSr1JEjiKP3Shqmo1ikvErnHFflQdWTNIJ7uBgVgHU4Ch87zhvHElntZOUpctUX7aTszUcOc7QLtWKpzV8GNDnLj4kwF9NXnIqTWTi_mA6qQMHQia_GvrqgLhdSE_HQ2GqfNHnhd-ojcxJu0E7hLiMOIbjLLTb0I7aeQY5qRrgZ-2EcoCRERmh2qWpIvrTTa8dX-xP7wH2P2wheF4RIyJGj_eGgmg14ul3xlf6yATnvOpTphFyGDHDDjFxXupVqCKOcd4H0S9N8lD3qLPVJXCEcU_mrN_sCgG-jjyXZfz-1Gg5V1H9pqKrHaB6vgCoiSjgU4TtktrBPVHn39p4ETrhw=w800-h500-no

WXT3_HcK2xBawkZ9rgpn6uKlVtg8_9R-mMfzZBG2eM3QQ1DR2AaSfWWZ_yBCdacPe81DWW4otDKh4WDX7vVqzzcIm55qA8NqPawGAgBYKcLptxuiNdp1RpuQzn2wEMFB8mNXWvcP3vD3pzXqCUcE6hGfxB_3fI3Maxdps9Z1EbFregmgFowvqhesPrhYX1qqc8tNNDY-R2AaPNh6-kyKzCgLrTTOQUVJvf1w-B83ey0zDuJxh9JXBtLQaSpHQr4FGXdfUHOhdvUk5tnkoX8__6mpELkB3yT-1wqWsm0lsDnRJFTmKoJgklEopGA4TjqsyaF3eQlt-WQPr_13mKz6FJFV0ksC6UNU26wii9NAuIgO3gDdW01e613bctELPcn3zbRWwAUM4TZ04u5GbXsdpNqItetmLUFbLY3sYFCU26S6bec8BCgF5eeRpjujzDRTSNyCxS6Szhszs1oShsb3R3f9InWoYlkspH6cSQ-1RyIJgTN_iiYnRhWRK3rk4egKpqpapkYGeHyyBm7fMDfjGTZxdHlHq8t-eXbQBUBodBknzoyFCpCEE4K8RuUwPO8FN30deo6nAgS8oIK4QK7Z5WrqzhmioAWUsFdXZP2Kp1e_Lps8jA=w800-h500-no

Another in that area is Mt Oscar. Bretton Woods West Peak. Yes, they allow hiking there.
IeipFrPzdqI1r3ktXJ3Yd0PD-K1-sDagdRIm_fagEhK6QzUnA0_d4Tv1_-riNo39RfHetBvICNdd28kSoT7ZycS8_vrAetYJj_pfTPkQvS62xNVTeVLY0Oeu60Ghak0vo2aRQc5AIsNW9TleV8n2Hu-E0YPLG7bRH79IueRLlVn33DVTv2RujiCM2cBZ1w3BFLGQWkl9Fbp9BDp96YPrltrtgat7vuQtlPSLVxRmpSvcNGczXuhviDiLI9fgQCsXDsllhoG7HRQUWMmnVJwb1eJoqHPKTo3wf04LvLtHqrF0QvID2otLjdhZDHCDkcvW--XiJEZY2iyjMLK49naF4lVxbmQhPJ7IvfPlAl1-57ZC0gbPVAX4ZO9AO6lpmm2AwkUxc4X3LCES9BW_tyPUoaap0YldqePTGpWzAIckh3yXq1-8PvWWk3N8zLp3byiJIpOVkxrVQtbuZsQ-9ENju5UrZKRNEjpxrJpgdNgGzxwY1V--MW4W5kImbUr9OkBGwmcgcKXO5yUShhb79Eetq3sB3ynBYq_PmwP33aHQDVGlXVVsrSHvcO1l7oFbbB2QHtfNjF9lAcU5NIIva7avACqNC7KpV917oSjgcZf9jtOen_9QiA=w1000-h500-no

Mt Pemi.
UH3C2U5D28rZmjteX61OfU9CEmJFZLM65tUt8Tmk9Xt52JiZ9IWjRKr2KkDzGgs52IOgAnErCYuaflIOAmM1b3vbGZTa1VMUMK6HwhDMtTMYQKqIH-1R-EiDM-jcHFM5VnJu5fvNuN9o99ACx2yB1MPgphw01_QOmzjL5oCRgq88T51L_qg1eUNHkX3JfbCuSPG3vuvMxS9VkbbhN3GY5Gv6BzqFITNvX9u0FjJcUdWXfLYL03EGIrU0WX0yqXsckW5F_N4hd6Lv9fA4RX9jsJywifZiimXgSa8wEpMpP4UGo7HlR4i3j9fuK62zH6t4CUqiamxI9NDS-hq1yd6djyBytazZgnOJ1O1IqkJscimOiSXLswnELnws6kcmWioqmCQ_aStJ08p5fLcw5gbaH5YQL6SIsN_oIZ_pzngOepoJrLNCwlbFVkSIUW2qY2dCcqJkEJkZo2RuTzjRwGrTX963gWCFgpmx512B8f6wSK8NuhtZyoZtXMdclfYbpjsOmblZVofxCoIPYRVaCAnKqmJc27gCE387jHmGNTiWWtluZP0SJF4EpXexf6CWHKUt4NFt2EFKWM9mA-lFkiyzv7gCYoj17K8BR6-7qgBdanBWyFT8QQ=w512-h384-no

And there's always the Sugarloaf's in the same area as well. Mt Willard too. Mt Pemi's another. I think foliage looks best at lower elevations when you're reflectively close to the canopy.

The photos are from last Monday and Tuesday.

Last edited:
Between Hedgehog and Potash, if I had to pick one, which would you do? They want to see waterfalls as well as foliage so I'm leaning towards these now, given their proximity to Sabbaday Falls.

Really? Only did the whole length of it once and there were maybe 15 mph winds with some gusts.
I wouldn't call that "windy." I did it on a winter day where the Rockpile forecast was 60 gusting 80 (and it actually wound up that way in the end). Our experienced trip leader said "no problem, it's mostly sheltered." 90% of the distance is sheltered, and when it's truly blowing you spend 50% of the time in the exposed portions. I was pretty sure we were going to lose somebody in the Dry River. Every single outlook had somebody blown over.

I've also gone dancing across on calm days and never would have noticed the weather exposure except for having been there before. Which is why I beat the drum. The WMG does mention it, but the reputation just hasn't stuck.

Between Hedgehog and Potash, if I had to pick one, which would you do? They want to see waterfalls as well as foliage so I'm leaning towards these now, given their proximity to Sabbaday Falls.

Depending on what time you start, you should be able to do both. Good views from Hedgehog. I think its one of the 52 with a view.

I don't know where the peak foliage is right now but if the southern whites are convenient the Morgan Percival loop offers a good reward for beginners and also nice views of the lakes. Doing it counter clockwise presents a choice of a short scramble or a more straight forward route the last few hundred feet to the summit. That, alomg with Mt. Israel in Sandwich, has some nearby attractions worth a side trip, the potholes (waterfall with a swimming hole), ponds along Sandwich Notch Road, and Sandwich Ctreamery for ice cream and cheese. Red Hill in Moultonborough is easy and has a fire tower for further views. Welch Dickey loop on the way into Waterville Valley might offer peak foliage, too.

Can't go wrong with Potash or Hedgehog.

Someone else might chime in whether it is worth going further north for peak foliage.