Ever microwave a Nalgene?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
--M. said:
Query: You're staying at Joe Dodge prior to a day on the hill. How do you heat yer water? I think running an Optimus in the parking lot would strike me as asinine, given more convenient resources nearby.

Called the front desk: Microwave ovens are not generally available.

Probably won't be an issue this weekend anyway, but there you go. Thanks for all the helpful info (you wackos!).

When you go to breakfast bring your bottles and take a draw off the hot water spigot on the coffee maker. For cold use the button on the juice dispenser.

MichaelJ said:
When you go to breakfast bring your bottles and take a draw off the hot water spigot on the coffee maker. For cold use the button on the juice dispenser.
What a hideous avatar! :D

Personally, I think it's a little sketchy to nuke a Nalgene, what with all the concern about Nalgene leaching chemicals. Didn't MEC, the big outfitter in Canada, just announce a month or so ago it was dropping the Nalgene line? I see people already starting to use alternatives.

In any case - when I carry hot tea for winter hikes in my Nalgenes, I heat the water first in a tea kettle. If you're traveling and need to heat hot water, the electric kettle which Jay mentions works great.

Kevin Rooney said:
Personally, I think it's a little sketchy to nuke a Nalgene, what with all the concern about Nalgene leaching chemicals. Didn't MEC, the big outfitter in Canada, just announce a month or so ago it was dropping the Nalgene line? I see people already starting to use alternatives.
The microwaves don't heat the plastic--just the water. The leaching issues are the same whether you heat the water in the Nalgene bottle or externally. The HDPE bottles are free of BPA.

However, if you heat a closed bottle in a microwave oven, the water can get hotter than 100C and may leach more BPA. Yet another reason for not heating a closed bottle...

Doug

Last edited:
I tried pouring boiling hot water (brewed tea) into a (I think) a Nalgene HDPE, several years ago. The plastic stiffened and (eventually) cracked. =0

Now I can laminate objects by urinating on them :)

moonrock said:
I tried pouring boiling hot water (brewed tea) into a (I think) a Nalgene HDPE, several years ago. The plastic stiffened and (eventually) cracked. =0
HDPE bottles age, stiffen, and crack at 20 years or so, even without boiling hot tea.

Gives you a reason to update the graphics... :)

Doug

How it worked out

Thanks for all the feedback.

It was never cold enough to make it an issue.

There are no guest-available microwave ovens at Joe Dodge Lodge; there was a hot-water tap on the cafeteria coffee-urn; the water in the bathroom taps is pure, tasty New Hampsha spring water (it's fine, anyway); I generally avoid drinking hot tap water.

But the temps made it all a non-issue. Had it been a true bc trailhead, I guess I woulda cranked up the stove. I also question what percentage of ovens will hold a 1-liter bottle standing up (personally, I'd consider heating a sealed container inadvisable).