Ever microwave a Nalgene?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--M.

Reaction score
I assume one can NOT heat water in a Nalgene bottle by microwaving it, but have any of you wackos ever tried?

If using an open stove were "discouraged" in the PNVC environs, how would most people heat water before embarking? Do most people not heat water before a winter hike?

Just musing....

Of course you can microwave water in a Nalgene bottle. Just make sure you take the lid off or you risk a hot water and steam explosion.

The issues of hot water softening the plastic (HDPE bottles) or leaching chemicals out of the plastic (polycarbonate bottles) are the same whether you heat the water outside of the bottle or in the bottle.

The plastic is basically unaffected by the microwaves.

Doug

Last edited:
The more intriguing question is have you ever nalgene'd a microwave? :p

It's good to know about the nalgene thing, I've been asked before and frankly, I've never tried!

Jay

I've been called a wacko and worse by much better than the likes of you :p
I put my nalgenes in the microwave when ever I am heading off for a cold weather hike.
Make sure you put several raw eggs still in the shell in the microwave with the nalgene. :D

Last edited:
--M. said:
So you had no warping or deformation of the bottle, lid or strap? Thx.
I've only done it with polycarbonate. Had no problems. (Of course there is the invisible issue of leaching BPA from polycarbonate due to the hot water. Not a problem with HDPE.)

According the the Nalgene website (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com), the HDPE bottles have a temp range of -100C (-148F) to 120C (248F) and the polycarbonate bottles have a range of -135C (-211F) to 135C (275F).

Meta comment:
People keep referring to "Nalgenes" without specifying polycarbonate or HDPE. Nalgene makes both types and they are different.

Doug

DougPaul said:
I've only done it with polycarbonate. Had no problems. (Of course there is the invisible issue of leaching BPA from polycarbonate due to the hot water. Not a problem with HDPE.)

According the the Nalgene website (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com), the HDPE bottles have a temp range of -100C (-148F) to 120C (248F) and the polycarbonate bottles have a range of -135C (-211F) to 135C (275F).

Meta comment:
People keep referring to "Nalgenes" without specifying polycarbonate or HDPE. Nalgene makes both types and they are different.

Doug
I'm one of those people. I have both types and wanted to hear answers for each..., and I knew I could rely on you. So much for that.

This coulda been a contenda for silliest, most banal (in this usage, that's BANE-ul, not baNALL), most trivial thread, but I could actually use this info, so thanks.

And keep those testimonials coming: I'd like to hear from a statistically-valid sample of users of HDPE about their experience with long-term use of water heated in a microwaved bottle. Without Gatorade powder already in it. If none come back with horrible deformities, injuries, or failed lawsuits, I'll bring an oven up to the center headwall for final testing.

Now, which one of you wackos has a three-mile extension cord?

Paradox said:
All of mine are polycarbonate, it will have a 7 in the middle of the triangle on the bottom of the bottle and below the a PC.

Pretty much all the clear ones are poly, while the opaque ones are HDPE, yes?

I've nuked water in HDPE Nalgenes frequently. Yeah, it softens the plastic; it burns your hand getting it into the cozy; and once it starts to cool the side may cave in, but I haven't seen any permanent damage.

EDIT: I should mention; this has usually been in microwaves too small for the Nalgene to stand upright, so I close the lid and nuke it on its side...stopping and checking frequently to hopefully avoid superheating.

jniehof said:
EDIT: I should mention; this has usually been in microwaves too small for the Nalgene to stand upright, so I close the lid and nuke it on its side...stopping and checking frequently to hopefully avoid superheating.
If it explodes, some of the water will flash evaporate into steam and possibly blow the door off. Steam explosions are very good at burning human skin...

It would be much safer to heat the water in a different container and pour it into the Nalgene bottle.

Doug

DougPaul said:
It would be much safer to heat the water in a different container and pour it into the Nalgene bottle.

Doug

Agreed. That's how we do it thoughout the winter. A graduated glass pitcher to measure and heat the water, then pour.

Jay H said:
Or bring and use a simple electric kettle ;)

Jay

There, you see? The simple, Socratic process in action. So is that the play, then?

Query: You're staying at Joe Dodge prior to a day on the hill. How do you heat yer water? I think running an Optimus in the parking lot would strike me as asinine, given more convenient resources nearby.

--M. said:
Query: You're staying at Joe Dodge prior to a day on the hill. How do you heat yer water? I think running an Optimus in the parking lot would strike me as asinine, given more convenient resources nearby.
I keep my Jetboil in the car for such purposes... I even have the hanging kit to hang from the rearview mirror ;)

Now, the real question is:
Ever microwave a CD?

If not, you're missing out!!

I don't put boiling water in my bottles, it's just too hot. I use hot tap water or partly fill the bottle with cold water then add boiling water. I do put steaming, short of boiling, water into my bottles if it doesn't feel too hot. It takes a lot of fuel to boil water when real hot works fine fo me.

--M. said:
Query: You're staying at Joe Dodge prior to a day on the hill. How do you heat yer water?
If you have access to electric, use something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_water_boiler

I have a similar model that I take with me for winter hiking.

Rickie, I boil water for long hikes on cold winter days. I stick it in a nalgene, then put a cozy over it. Lasts for hours this way...

To each their own. I put my bottles together in a stuff sack, against my, back inside my day pack with insulating stuff on the outside.