Exciting Helicopter Footage From Mt. Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool!

Great footage of the NHANG heroes in action! I would also like to point out that it's a great article, written by someone I consider a hero as well, Mike Pelchat. I've been an acquaintance of Mike's (for my part, a friend) for about 8 years. I am so glad he is writing about his second home and the adventures he has on Mt. Washington.

Over the years he has told me stories that have made my blood run cold. For the past 30 years he has been a part of dozens, maybe hundreds of rescues, and unfortunately, recoveries, around the Northern Presidentials.

His thoughtful writing and unassuming mannerisms put mountain rescue in New Hampshire in the proper perspective.

In my eyes he and his wife Diane are White Mountain Legends in the same vein as the Crawfords and Joe Dodge.

I am proud to say I know them, and thankful for all they have done over the years, and will do in the years to come!

KDT

That is for sure about Mike and Diane....amazing never too much mention about their roles in SARs..on a side note, one of the copter pilots is a Milan boy, at this point I won't mention his name, but his family lives on York Pond
Rd., where he grew up, a hop, skip and jump from York Pond and Unknown Pond trailheads..great kid, like another area kid from Berlin, NH "Blackhawk Down", Mike Durant....

I was out hiking solo Sunday and had a helicopter circle above the area I was at and then moved on. Made me think (I had five hours to think!):

Are there signals to give a helicopter if you need (or don't need) assisstance? A little digging in wiki yielded:

To communicate with a helicopter in sight, raise both arms (forming the letter Y) to indicate "Yes" or "I need help," or stretch one arm up and one down (imitating the letter N) for "No" or "I do not need help".

Last edited:
The Hillsound Pro Trail Crampon stuff sack has some signals listed on the sack: International Rescue Signals: X=require medical assistance; V=require assistance; and the "arrow signal" means proceeding in this direction..another reason to get the Pro Crampons!!