Fire in Crawford Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky timing on the rain. I was up on the Lafayette earlier in the day and there was no sign of showers coming in (or smoke to the east). When I got down to my car and headed north past Cannon I could see black clouds and rain coming down over Silver Hill area. TR 3 just skirted the showers but the summits were black. I did not hit heavy rain until Randolph opposite Jefferson and it stopped raining by the time I hit the Gorham town line.

I wonder if Conway Scenic was running trains up through there as it has been bone dry in the area. The one photo showed it burning along the railroad.

Last edited:
Lucky timing on the rain. I was up on the Lafayette earlier in the day and there was no sign of showers coming in (or smoke to the east). When I got down to my car and headed north past Cannon I could see black clouds and rain coming down over Silver Hill area. TR 3 just skirted the showers but the summits were black. I did not hit heavy rain until Randolph opposite Jefferson and it stopped raining by the time I hit the Gorham town line.

I wonder if Conway Scenic was running trains up through there as it has been bone dry in the area. The one photo showed it burning along the railroad.

There were pictures on FB of The Conway Scenic delivering water to the fire. Yes there has been discussion elsewhere that a spark from the train might have caused the fire. Stated elsewhere on Social Media they were not scheduled to run up through the notch. But I cannot confirm that.