Flume Gorge Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
After last week's stressful, police filled hike, I decided to return to the Whites and do the Flume Gorge Loop. Somehow, after living in New Hampshire for 12 years, I've never managed to get to the Flume. What a wonderful place, particularly in the winter!
Here's our report and pics: Flume Gorge Loop

Couple of safety notes on the Flume Gorge:

1) Some of the low stone walls in front of the visitor's center surround trout pools. They usually freeze up solid, but a little caution is advisable in December and in spring, even if you are following somebody else's tracks.

2) The Gorge itself contains lots of flowing water, obviously. Lots of caution needed if you step off the boardwalk early in the winter (usually you can walk on it starting in January, but you can still find open spots for weeks). From then on, recommended gear in most of the gorge includes not only traction but a helmet. The gorge will be full of ice climbers on a daily basis, and not necessarily very experienced ones. Ice screws, ice axes, and miscellaneous contents of unzipped pockets fall somewhat regularly.

Thanks for the pics! I was wondering how things are shaping up in there. Looks like another few weeks though for the river bed and the ice routes to freeze up before I can get in there and climb.

Cheers!

Hi Nartreb, very good thank you! Those are some great tips to remember when I bring the kids back. I plan on keeping them on the boardwalk, but some traction even there will be needed. I never considered that there'd be falling man-made objects! I admit it sounds pretty neat to go there and watch the ice climbers.
Leaf: Yeah, the water is still flowing and the river is quite free and fast right now. Wait a couple more weeks!

Nice photos, Dan. You really need to get back and do the loop again with snowshoes. It is so beautiful. We've done it several times over the years and it can't be beat. Sorry about your "adventure" from last week too.

Donna:)

Just so you know, they remove the boardwalk in winter. In fact I'm shocked they were still up when you went.

This ice season is off to a slow start, still need to go to higher elevations to climb... two years ago Flume Gorge was IN over new years weekend!

Hi Donna - We are indeed looking forward to going back. Now if only it would snow already! Thanks for your thoughts about our little run in. No problem, the girl and I both learned some lessons :)

Hi Leaf - Is that true, they bring the whole thing up? A small section of about 20 feet was taken down, directly in front of the falls preventing a loop, but the entire rest of it was still there. With the boardwalk gone, is it an icewalk to get in there, or can you snowshoe in?

Ooh.. yeah that was the section I was referring to. Along the gorge walls.. id say that's a little more than 20 feet..? maybe 100 or so the least. I've honestly haven't hiked the loop in 10 years.. so I don't remember there was a boardwalk in other places. :)

When I went through a number of years ago, most of the boardwalk
had been removed. IIRC, only the entrance and exit to the Gorge had the boardwalk in place. Any yes, you could walk through with care--depends on the snow and ice conditions.

Even if you don't go through the Gorge, you can walk the parallel path and over to the pool (definitely worth visiting).

Doug

Leaf - Yup, even closed, you can go down stairs at the top of the big falls to the boardwalk and walk along about 30 feet to where a STOP sign is posted. Technically, you can climb under the STOP sign and walk another ten feet or so to where the actual boardwalk is pulled up.

DougPaul - The Pool was very nice! The outlooks near the pool had quite a bit of ice built up on the steps, but I imagine once it gets snowing, it will be easier to get around.