Foster's Crossroads - gone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwinMom+1

Reaction score
Is Foster's Crossroads General Store closed permanently? Twice in the past two weeks it's been closed. A post on Yelp says it's being razed for a Dunkin's location while one on Google says it's closed.

Such a bummer - recent additions like the Wandering Moose and Twin Mountain Cabins suggested a Twin Mountain rebirth of sorts. The new Foster's owners were always so kind to our family and we tried to return the favor with purchases in partial thanks for the bathrooms. I read online the building was a former grand hotel of sorts. Much as I love Dunkin's, not sure the world needs another chain coffee shop as much as it does small businesses that enable small towns to survive.

Hopefull it will be open renovated with a Dunkin. Gas Station type lousey coffee can't compete. Either cold,bitter,weak or just doesn't taste good. Dunkin will bring good jobs and good coffee and other items. Open with good hours.

I travel out West alot and miss Dunkin so much at times. They're non existant. Better then Starbucks in our view.

There is a Dunkin going in Colebrook.

Sad to say the Fosters building is a "white elephant" It may have some minor historical significance but renovation by a match is probably the best option. The location is prime.

There is a Dunkin going in Colebrook.

Sad to say the Fosters building is a "white elephant" It may have some minor historical significance but renovation by a match is probably the best option. The location is prime.

I had a great breakfast at YaYa's a few weeks ago with a fine cup of coffee. Plus on that sunny and warm April morn I enjoyed it out on their deck.

Try it, you'll like it! And they sell gas.

I had a great breakfast at YaYa's a few weeks ago with a fine cup of coffee. Plus on that sunny and warm April morn I enjoyed it out on their deck.

Try it, you'll like it! And they sell gas.

They must of changed cause I tried lunch there 4 different times and it wasn't good enough. Don't go there anymore.

Given that ATV season up north is opening up next week and summer season is right on its heels it would be surprising for Fosters to be closed voluntarily for a major rebuild. Sometime "closed for renovations" is code for other events.

YaYas deli has been reliable the times I have stopped, basic deli fare done well but nothing spectacular. The convenience store in general is sparse on selection for drinks and snacks and I expect the 1/10th of mile detour north on RT3 is too much of a diversion for those heading south;) Catalanos fare is generally a step up from YaYas with a corresponding step up in price but they tend to get backed up on weekends so waits can be long. Of course Catalanos had a run of a new operator every year for several years so the menu and quality would change year to year. If I am headed home up to Gorham, I usually delay the urge and head up the Old Corner Store in Jefferson for the ubiquitous pizza slices post hike ;)

Update, beyond a more formal sign on the deck explaining that the store is closed and would be reopened in a new building, the store is still closed. There still appears to be inventory in the store. No signs of prep work for a new building. My guess is Covid has done in another business.The pumps are open. Generally gas pumps are used to drive traffic into a store but given its location and lack of competition on the run back to Boston from the Crawford Notch area its nice a spot for a gas station. In many cases the pumps are run by a third party with either rent or a commission based on volume paid to the store owner.

YaYas is doing a record business. Although they have added a few brands, they still have limited stock compared to Fosters. Parking is an issue.

YaYas is doing a record business. Although they have added a few brands, they still have limited stock compared to Fosters. Parking is an issue.

Irving at Fabyan's was getting a fuel delivery and was closed so I went to Yaya's and had to wait to pump, wait to give my card, wait to pick it up (no pay at the pumps :(). There were two people cooking inside and a bunch of people eating and bunch more waiting... so I'd say it was hopping. Same price as Fosters for gas, btw, but wasn't sure Fosters was open. 8/15/2021...

Tim

The sign showing the prices and the lights around the pumps at Fosters is dark when the pumps are closed and turned on when they are open. My guess is the owner may still be living upstairs at Fosters and running the pumps to pay the bills as there is frequently a car parked in the lot. When I drove by in the early AM yesterday (8/15) the sign was off and the pump lights were off but when I drove in to read the sign on the deck post hike the pricing sign was on and the pumps were running. Some state and municipalities require a manned presence when pumps are being operated and others do not.

My guess is unless it's a large franchise, the cost to finance a new facility would take a long time to re-coop. When Irving first came in the area they built quite a few company stores in prime locations but they sold the real estate business to Blue Canoe and now they just supply the gas with lot of rules to support the Irving franchise. Cumberland Farms also used to build stores and lately seem to be on rebuilding binge at many of their locations but they normally look for an area that has year round population to support their beer and cigarette trade. I do not know if that area of Carroll has that year round population.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to imagine what they cold be putting in there that justified the cost of buying the land and business; tearing down the old building and carting away all the debris; and building something new. Do they know something about Twin Mountain the rest of us don't?

Is Foster's Crossroads General Store closed permanently? Twice in the past two weeks it's been closed. A post on Yelp says it's being razed for a Dunkin's location while one on Google says it's closed.

Such a bummer - recent additions like the Wandering Moose and Twin Mountain Cabins suggested a Twin Mountain rebirth of sorts. The new Foster's owners were always so kind to our family and we tried to return the favor with purchases in partial thanks for the bathrooms. I read online the building was a former grand hotel of sorts. Much as I love Dunkin's, not sure the world needs another chain coffee shop as much as it does small businesses that enable small towns to survive.
I drove through the area recently. A couple years ago, while the old Foster's was still existent, I popped in, and they told me they were rebuilding. Apparently, it became a thing that people were driving past only because the building looked a little shabby. Damn blow-ins. (One wonders what they think about Ya-Ya's!)
More recently, I've watched as temporary fencing was erected, a hold dug, foundation poured, and now, a new building framed in and sheathed.
Probably by the time summer is officially here, they'll be open for business again. Not a moment too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.