Fox on Washington...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
60694-vi.jpg

First off, I'm excited about this new forum, and hope I can help/be helped with this hobby!

I posted my favorite fox photo in the Best of 2006 thread, but this was a close second. It breaks a couple rules IMO, but I don't think it takes away from the image too much that the background is bright, and the ridge goes through his head.

I'd appreciate any thoughts...

Techs...
Canon 20D w/Sigma 18-200 @ 200
1/100 @ F6.3 w/ fill flash
ISO 800
Cropped to 4x5

Hi Jim,

The fox on the rocks with the mountains in the background has a wonderful perspective. I cannot reconmmend changes to the subject.

If you desire to get closer to the fox you could crop the upper part of the photo to the mountain directly behind the fox.

On the left hand side, may I suggest that you crop it to the beginning of the "ge" of Salge for closeness. For the color I found sepia to be the runner up to the colorized image.

Hope this helps you out!

Best Regards,

Ridgewalker

PS- I have enjoyed your submissions for the Mt. Washington Photo Journal.

w7xman said:
It breaks a couple rules IMO, but I don't think it takes away from the image too much that the background is bright, and the ridge goes through his head.

I'd appreciate any thoughts...
Following the rules is, IMO, overrated. If every pic followed the rules, things would get rather boring... In this case the ridgeline provides a focus on the fox.

Doug

When I first saw this fox my reaction was; I wish the fox was doing something, sniffing the air or hunting perhaps. However, the more I have looked at the photo the more I like it's quiet, wistful, serenity. It some respects it reminds me of a painting (always a good sign) by George Caleb Bingham, Fur Traders Descending the Missouri which also includes a fox in a similar pose, though tied up. The painting shares the wistfully quiet quality of your photograph. It also has a bright background like your photograph, both work for me. The ridge lines behind the foxes head don't bother me. If anything they draw one's eye to the fox, (not that the fox needs any such help).

I would not crop the photo much if at all. I like that we see the fox in his craggy mountain environment. He could clearly retreat to a lower elevation and live an easier life in the valleys below, but he chooses to stay up in the mountains. On a different tack your fox looks a bit like a sad clown in makeup, it is kind of endearing. I think it is wonderful that your fox can evoke so many different mental images. Good work.

Jim, great shot. Very good exposure, sharpness, and color on the fox. Great use of selective depth of field to isolate it from the background. I like the way the mountains in the background have a V pointed straight at the subject. It helps lead your eyes right to the fox. Is there more room in the uncropped version on the ride side? Id so, you might consider cropping it square with equal space on both sides of the fox and having the V point evenly straight down to it.

Great shot. Thanks for sharing.

- d

Thanks for your thoughts all. I'll play around with some more crops.

Darren, I cropped to 4x5 from the left to remove that always distracting ugly alpenglow ;) I wish I did have more room on the right, but these shots don't give you much time...

The thing I like best about the photo is that the color of the fox stands out so well against the grayer background. I really like the way the black tips show up -- most notably on the ear tips, but also on the front paws and nose.

I wonder if you (Jim) could comment on the 'rules' you feel you broke. I'm not a photographer at all, and I wouldn't really consider it a hobby, although I find it very difficult to capture the size of the mountain in photographs, but I have no idea if it's me, or the camera (admittedly a point-and-shoot Canon A70, which is currently out for repair.)

Tim

I like the off center of the fox. His body his set to take off to the left and you can see where he's going to go. Because of those few more rocks on the left you can see the path he will travel when he's done being patient with the intruder taking his photo. Are you done fella?, I've got some voles to catch!

In addition to direction of travel, the off center provides more context for the location. Try blocking off the left side and you really lose a lot of perspective that provides a clue for location. This isn't just any old fox shot, this fox is out hunting HIGH!

bikehikeskifish said:
I wonder if you (Jim) could comment on the 'rules' you feel you broke.

Two main ones.
1) In wildlife, the subject should be in the best and/or brightest light of the frame. The background is clearly part in shade/part bright haze and the subject can be seen as lost below it.

2) Keep all distracting lines and features clean from your subject, especially your subject's eyes and head. And the ridge goes right through his face.

Rules are meant to be broken as has been stated, and I think that this still works for a number of reasons said here, such as the ridges leading the eyes to the fox. Still, I seek critiques.

bikehikeskifish said:
I'm not a photographer at all, and I wouldn't really consider it a hobby, although I find it very difficult to capture the size of the mountain in photographs, but I have no idea if it's me, or the camera (admittedly a point-and-shoot Canon A70, which is currently out for repair.)

Tim

Scale is the most difficult thing I find there is to convey in photography. I look forward to seeing some of your pics, and perhaps we can work through it!

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

IMHO, the "rules" help beginners to understand why their beginner pictures look so blah compared to those of more experienced photographers. For instance, keeping the subject clean from distracting lines helps tremendously, but as photographers advance they must learn to judge when it's a distraction and when it's not. The ridgeline in this image is not a distraction to the viewer, exept a grumpy critic. However, to get to Jim's level, a photographer must learn these basic rules.

Also, I wouldn't crop the left side if it resulted in the subject being centered. Another rule is to avoid centering the subject in the image. It usually looks amateurish and blah.

Nice image :)

forestnome said:
IMHO, the "rules" help beginners to understand why their beginner pictures look so blah compared to those of more experienced photographers.

Well said. I never had any formal training, but I read some books when photography became a hobby 10 or 12 years ago. Just from reading a cuople of books and learning some basic "rules", I saw a big improvement in my pictures. After that you can try to develop a personal style and learn when you can break the "rules".

BTW, the "rules" are based on years of human study. Time for another thread...

- d