Gaiter Question / Recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got about 5 years / 1200 miles out of my Dirty Girls. There are few small holes, and the Velcro is nearly detached (it could be sewn back on but it's not that sticky any more)... for $20, not a hard decision to replace them.

I am probably at 500 (winter) miles on my Crocodiles. And, I am notoriously hard on my gear, in part because I am 6'3" and 200 pounds, with a size 13/47 shoe/boot.

Tim

I break everything so I'm not really surprised at the failures. I'm sure my short legs and big feet play a role, too(5'6", size 11). They get baggy which is why I think the strap wears through.

I got about 5 years / 1200 miles out of my Dirty Girls. There are few small holes, and the Velcro is nearly detached (it could be sewn back on but it's not that sticky any more)... for $20, not a hard decision to replace them.

I am probably at 500 (winter) miles on my Crocodiles. And, I am notoriously hard on my gear, in part because I am 6'3" and 200 pounds, with a size 13/47 shoe/boot.

Tim

Are Dirty Girl gaiters that durable? Maybe I have misunderstood how they are constructed. I thought they were basically a lightweight, warm weather minimal covering for trail runners. I didn't think they lasted very long. Thought it was more of a fashion thing with all the colors and prints they have.

I have been replacing straps on my ORs for years, I have some ancient fiberglass reinforced rubber strap material that I bought at the close out sale at Ragged Mountain. I think it was used for ancient ski bindings but I just cut off what I need and stitch on another with my handy hand sewer. I have a relatively short inseam and very large calves so if I buy a pair to fit my calves the upper strap is over my kneecap. I modified my prior pair of crocs by shortening them but havent done it to the replacements which I believe has a buckle so that straps can be replaced without sewing. Back when I roamed the IME consignment aisles I would see winter boots where the gaiters had been glued to the boots after the supergaiter rubbers wore out. I think Ragged sewed new rubbers in for $40 but given their longevity I think the glue option was better.

Are Dirty Girl gaiters that durable? Maybe I have misunderstood how they are constructed. I thought they were basically a lightweight, warm weather minimal covering for trail runners. I didn't think they lasted very long. Thought it was more of a fashion thing with all the colors and prints they have.

They are
* lightweight
* warm weather
* minimal
* trail runner-based
* long (enough) lasting (got my $20 or $25 worth for sure)
* fashionable ;)

The hardest part of ordering is finding something not too outrageous :)

attachment.php

One of these was worn once and the other dozens of times per year for 5 years (including laundering).

Tim

Attachments

• gaiters.jpg
    gaiters.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 250
OR makes or made a black clone for those without the interest in designs in the fabric. I have several years on mine. I do lose the Velcro tab attached to the shoes on occasion. I stock Velcro in my repair kit and use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive

They are
* lightweight
* warm weather
* minimal
* trail runner-based
* long (enough) lasting (got my $20 or $25 worth for sure)
* fashionable ;)

The hardest part of ordering is finding something not too outrageous :)

attachment.php

One of these was worn once and the other dozens of times per year for 5 years (including laundering).

Tim

Interesting. Definitely looking for something a bit heavier for cold weather water splashes, mud, etc but I may break with my no gaiters in Summer rule and try a pair of these with my trail runners.

OR makes or made a black clone for those without the interest in designs in the fabric. I have several years on mine. I do lose the Velcro tab attached to the shoes on occasion. I stock Velcro in my repair kit and use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive

Their "Overdrive Wrap Gaiters" may be the latest incarnation of what you're referring to. They seem to have a clunky velcro closure on the front though which looks to me like it would catch on stuff and pull open. I think Salomon had a similar design too.

Their "Overdrive Wrap Gaiters" may be the latest incarnation of what you're referring to. They seem to have a clunky velcro closure on the front though which looks to me like it would catch on stuff and pull open. I think Salomon had a similar design too.

The Thrus are probably closer. The overdrive wraps look like their latest incarnation of the Wrapid gaiters. They have a thicker fabric that deals with water and snow better. I have a pair that I used precisely once. The under strap was too thick and wrap closure was annoying. Altra make some like the DG gaiters that mate with their shoes really well using hooks on the side instead of a strap and velcro on both sides to take full advantage of the gaiter trap.

The strap under the boot is what fails, it's really the only thing subject to severe wear and tear as every step is use. What I find is that if wrapped firmly and pulling down as far as possible, Use the velcro and hook the front hook low on the lowest boot lace you can, the strap isn't needed. (I just tuck it in so I don't trip on it)

Other than that, just crampon points are an issue. I made a neat approx 1" slit in one of my mine, however i still use them as it's a very clean slit, no jagged edges.

I too had problems with straps failing on my 3 season gaiters. I found that using plastic coated speaker wire is the easiest long term fix. I try to buy gaiters that have a grommet hole that the strap/string passes through. If your gaiters have stitched or glued straps you may need to put in a grommet. Pass the speaker wire through the grommet twist it a couple times and you're good to go. At 2-3 hikes a weeks over rocky trails my speaker wire fix will easily last a year or two and it is nothing to carry a couple 16" pieces in my pack for two second emergency repairs.

I too had problems with straps failing on my 3 season gaiters. I found that using plastic coated speaker wire is the easiest long term fix. I try to buy gaiters that have a grommet hole that the strap/string passes through. If your gaiters have stitched or glued straps you may need to put in a grommet. Pass the speaker wire through the grommet twist it a couple times and you're good to go. At 2-3 hikes a weeks over rocky trails my speaker wire fix will easily last a year or two and it is nothing to carry a couple 16" pieces in my pack for two second emergency repairs.

That's a great tip! Filing that one away for future use. Thanks.