Galehead Gourmet Group Galavant and Yoga Seminar

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This Memorial Day weekend a large group of soon to be well fed hikers headed up to Galehead Hut for a weekend of peak bagging, lounging, and amazing food. We met at the Gale River trailhead after observing a few unfortunate moose on the sides of the roads. By 9:30 most groups were headed out, the majority up the Gale River trail but a few malcontents were going up Garfield first. The stream crossings were difficult but could be mostly negotiated without getting feet wet, especially if you had long legs. It will be noted, I don't.

sat06.jpg

Once at the hut we dropped off our little piles of food for Seema to assemble later and Nancy, Meri, and I headed up to Galehead. After basking in the summit aura for 15 seconds we retired to the outlook on the Frost trail taking in the glorious views. MEB joined us in a bit, having been one of the malcontents to take in Garfield first. By the time we got back to the hut most folks had arrived and we started playing odd yoga games on the front long, before retiring inside for food prep and playing with snacky food that J&J brought up. Katie won.
sat21.jpg

Saturday dinner was an amazing combination of Pad Thai, Drunken Noodles, and Tom Yom soup. Seema, words fail me. Brian, you are a lucky, lucky, man. Plans were laid out for the next day and after a slightly delayed lights out (thanks Vinny!) we all turned in for the night.
sat30.jpg

I only have Saturday's photos done, so I'll stop here for now. Others, please chime in.
sat37.jpg

The rest of Saturday's photos are here.

-dave-

Reactions: MEB
This was my first time staying at a hut which means it was the first time that I partook (is that a word?) in the gourmet experience as well...INCREDIBLE!!! Nothing like hiking up into the mountains, doing some yoga and eating gourmet food :) While hiking on Sunday there was much envy and many puddles of drool all across Franconia Ridge.... "Where you going?" "Galehead Hut for a gourmet Indian meal, should be ready about the time that I get there."

Seema you ROCK!

Oh, and it didn't hurt to have a professional massage to end the day with - Craig, worth every penny!

Last edited:
Hey Dave, thank you starting the trip report. I would have likely put it off for a while. :D

Thanks everyone for making this yet another successful and fun Gourmet Hut trip. I love planning and carrying out this trip a couple of times a year and this was no exception. Having so many wonderful friends to share the mountains, good food and laughter with is more than I could ever have hoped for. Galehead hut was where this gourmet hut trip began 3 years ago with just 3 of us (myself, Meri and JohnS) and it was great to be back with 25 other amazing hikers.

I didn't take any pictures so I am looking forward to seeing everyone else's pics . . . but please limit the greasy haired, sweaty ones of me over the stove :D

Thank you again to the entire crew for the chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing and of course the clean-up crews. Thank you also for eating my somewhat burned cake and the mostly messed up Thai food and my too hot for most Indian food . . . luckily for me, everything tastes great in the mountains.

Finally, I will say from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU for all the well wishes on our engagement, the compliments on the ring and the man who I am lucky to have found and the beautiful pottery (Dave) and the juggling bean bags (June (and John)) and the origami bowl (Meri).

You guys are the best
Till next time,
sli74

awwww....sorry i missed it, i really really wanted to be there! Dave, i really like the pix, i like how you took a bunch of portrait shots too!!!

ok, is that UFC doing that crazy head between your feet thing? were you a ballerina in a past life or something??? i bet you were the prettiest ballerina there ever was!!! :)

seema anytime you want to come down to dartmouth and cook....:)

Thanks everyone for a great night in the mountains. Seema, the Thai food was to die for. It was perfect. I’m sorry I couldn’t stay the second night, but my trail had way too much damage from the nor’easter. I worked both Sunday and Monday to get it back in shape. Dave, your pictures are great as always, you have such an eye for the moment. I normally hate to have my photo taken given I always come off looking like a troll. However, the shot of me on the porch is one of the best photos I’ve seen in a while. Thanks again everyone for the great company.

What an awesome weekend! Thanks everyone for such a super fun time. Seema many thanks for cooking up two wonderful dinners for all of us....you are an amazing chef. Great photo's Dave!

-MEB

Carmel said:
...ok, is that UFC doing that crazy head between your feet thing? were you a ballerina in a past life or something??? i bet you were the prettiest ballerina there ever was!!! :)
Yup, that was me, you should see me in my tights :eek: ;) Actually that was part of the post hike yoga - flexibility is key!

Wicked Awesome photos!

My favorite is the second to last, that sunset with the trees, stunning!

Looks like you all had a fantastic time! :)

one thing missing from last year: the 18 rack of busch cans ;) :D :eek:

just kidding, sounds like deb and I missed a good time, originally it turned out we couldn't make it, then we could have, but the trip was full.

oh well. weather looked great as well.

I am sure the unfrozencaveman made up for the any missing antics I couldn't provide this go-around. ;) :p :eek:

dave, I'm disappointed (not disenchanted) that your trip report was common (not unique) in the pattern (not logic) style.

The food was yummy (not yucky) as always! I would like to express (not say) thanks to all (not most) who participated in this brilliant (not bright) Gourmet Galavant.

nancy

JohnS - did you figure it out yet?? :confused:

nancy said:
dave, I'm disappointed (not disenchanted) that your trip report was common (not unique) in the pattern (not logic) style.
Sorry (not upset). But I still have Sunday and Monday to write up. I'll do better (not improved).

Notice how many of the shots are oriented vertically (not horizontal). :)

-dave-

On to Sunday. At some ungodly hour of the morning UFC decided to head for Flume (we were at Galehead, remember?!) for a dayhike. The original plan included going down the Lincoln slide, and up Owlshead, after that my eyes glazed over. Meri and Nancy were headed for the Bonds, others were headed for Garfield, 13 Falls, and Galehead. Bunchberry, MEB, and I headed to South Twin and a plan to go over to North Twin for Bunchberry's 42nd 4000'er.
sun10.jpg

We made it up to South Twin in pretty good time although we felt some sprinkles. But the trip to North is fairly short and there wasn't too much snow and ice so off we went. Some fun drifts in the shady north-facing sections but the snow was quite firm. Katie's boots, on the other hand, showed signs of catastrophic failure. Ah, duct tape. We hung out on North Twin a bit to savor the moment but things were looking a bit iffy in the distance so we headed back.
sun18.jpg

On South Twin again we met up with Wendy and Jim who were going to head to North Twin and borrowed some gear for the journey. We headed down as the rain began, and it came down fairly hard along the way. It was only 1:15 when we arrived at the hut and MEB, being MEB, needed to go further so off she headed for 13 Falls.
sun23.jpg

Dinner was another amazing spicy Indian fest, and of course our straggling hikers showed up right before dinner was served, exactly as I predicted. We had another fine meal and night's entertainment but no sunset like the previous night. Off to bed, to make plans for Monday.
sun30.jpg

Updated pictures here

You and your evil games!!!

nancy said:

The food was yummy (not yucky) as always! I would like to express (not say) thanks to all (not most) who participated in this brilliant (not bright) Gourmet Galavant.

nancy

Nancy...you are cool (not evil) with your pattern (not logic) games. I'm glad that Seema (not Brian) made you all such yummy food (not lousy edibles). Do I get extra points for a double? I have to go finish mowing my grass (not lawn).

Glad you all had a great time! Your pictures really are wonderful Dave.

What a fantastic weekend! It was great seeing folks we hadn't seen since last year's gourmet weekend, and fun meeting all the new folks.

Seema and Brian--thank you for all the hard work you do organizing this event--the food was delicious--so many colors and spices. Coming back from a hike and mini bushwhack to a full course dinner in the mountains is life at its best.

It was also great watching people discover thier inner child through the creative use of crackers and cream cheese. (And here I thought that the mini shrimp and capers would make for 'classy' appetizers to share!)

Looking (not gazing) forward to next years yummy (not yucky) gourmet weekend.

Our photos here

Who's that clean shaven dude doing handstands... is he trying to be UFC or something?

:D

EXCELLENT pics, Dave... really, just awesome!

nancy said:
Duuh, not doh!

Nancy, that’s affirmative, not yes. Sorry, but not apologetic, some of us are just specifically, though not inherently, more used to using their eyeballs, not their ears. Thanks for the written, not spoken, follow-up, feedback and other good intellect-jogging stuff!

Seema and Brian, thanks for another terrific weekend. The venues and menus keep changing but the fun and fellowship remains a constant. Pencil me in for the next one.

I just posted the remaining Monday shots of the hike out. Where are everyone else's shots?! I saw a few cameras up there this weekend.

-dave-