Garmin/Topo & Windows XP Problem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Periwinkle

Reaction score
I hoping that someone can help with this....

After my PC crashed, I replaced Windows 98 with Windows XP. Now, it won't recognized my Garmin. The device manager says that the port is functioning, but it ain't talking! I've now been two weeks without my GPS. I'm getting pretty annoyed.

I've surfed the 'net looking for an answer, but can't find diddly. Anyone else been thru this and know the answer?

I believe if you download update V.2.6.8 you will need the new CD set. That V.2.6.8 needs the new CD's. I did that when they first came out with it last year or so and they charged me $15.00 for the new cd's to work with the update. But I had issues with it such as it being very slow in opening the program. So I dumped the newer cd's and version and went back to the old one. Also the new version changes the file sentence.

The old cd set I have says V2.5.3 on the CD's.

The new version might work now with my xp because of the TPO file I was using . I had overloaded it by merging other top files with tracks. I think Or I corrupted it somehow. Anyway, when I figured it was the tpo file I was using I did a reinstall and reloaded the tracks from my Mapsource files , and bookmarks into the new tpo file so now I have the speed again.

The udate for the old one is V.2.7.7

The difference between the two didn't apply to me so it didn't matter.

I wish they would update to take USB from my Garmin.

Easy GPS has done it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have been going crazy for the past few months tring to figure out what was wrong. I to upgraded to XP, but I also changed mother board so I was thinking i had a bad board with a defective com port. I should have put 2 and 2 together I tried it at work using Windows 2000 and it worked fine. Thanks again for the info, I'll give it a try tonight.:)

This 60CS I have lay's down a fair amount of track points during a days hike. The USB spoils me when used with Mapsource and EasyGPS.

DeLorme Topo 5.0 also is Com1 only for Garmins. I'm not holding my breath waiting for NG and DL to update.

My Dell 640C has USB and Serial. I'll try an adapter though and time it to see if NG loads it any faster.

At least when I go to reload the tracks when I'm going back to a summit during the winter, Mapsource does a fast job putting it back.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited: