Good route to kinsman pond with a dog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The-Green-Man

Reaction score
Good route to kinsman pond with a dog???

Hi Folks,

I'm planning a solo hike up to Kinsman pond with my mature (8 year-old) dog. I have never hiked in that area before (except for Cannon) but I am familair with the area and I am a fairly experienced at 4-season hiking and camping in the whites. Trooper is in good shape.

My plan is to start out relatively early (9 AM) heading up the Lonesome Lake Trail. We then have the option of taking either the Kinsman Pond Tr or the Fishin' Jimmy Tr to Kinsman Pond. Once there, we'd setup our tent, and head out to hit North and South Kinsman before dinner.

From the trail descriptions in the AMC I don't see any mentions of ladders or very steep sections of trail that might pose an impassable barrier to a dog...

My questions are:
- Does anyone have any input on which route (Fishin' Jimmy Tr or Kinsman Pond Tr) would be easier on a med-large dog?
- Is there any reason this trip might not be a good idea with a dog?

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Last edited:
From the trail descriptions in the AMC I don't see any mentions of ladders or very steep sections of trail that might pose an impassable barrier to a dog...
The WMG does not mention it, but Steve Smith and Mike Dickerman, in The 4,000-Footers of the White Mountains write (about Fishin' Jimmy):
Rugged climbing soon resumes, with wooden steps pinned to ledges aiding passage on steepest pitches.
Not being a dog-owner i am not sure how much of a problem it will be.

The Kinsman Pond Trail is very unpleasant outside winter, as much of it is in fact a stream bed.

How about the Mount Kinsman Trail from the west? Easy grades, reasonably good footing, joins Kinsman Ridge Trail not far from pond.

Hi Mohamed,

The Kinsman Pond Trail is very unpleasant outside winter, as much of it is in fact a stream bed.

We will avoid this one then!

How about the Mount Kinsman Trail from the west? Easy grades, reasonably good footing, joins Kinsman Ridge Trail not far from pond.

I had not considered this route due to the extra driving time - I'll check out the WMG...

Thanks for the help!

Anyone have experience on this trail with a dog?

I've taken the Fishin' Jimmy up to the Kinsmans several times with my dog. It's a relatively easy trail for any dog who has hiking experience. The pinned steps were never a problem. Once you get on to the Kinsman Ridge Trail, the terrain is very dog friendly. I don't think your dog will run into any issues.

Here is a photo on the pinned steps.

http://sheeprocks.com/photos/kinsmans/kinsmans-Pages/Image28.html
http://sheeprocks.com/photos/kinsmans/kinsmans-Pages/Image30.html
http://sheeprocks.com/photos/kinsmans/kinsmans-Pages/Image81.html

I hope this helps you out. I love this hike despite the bad reputation the Fishin;' Jimmy trail has on this forum.

Lots. With a number of different dogs. It's a good route. The first 2+ miles (to the Bald Knob turnoff) is wide, easy footing, with three stream crossings for water holes; after that you start working your way up to the ridge, again with no dog-stumpers. It really doesn't add that much time to the trailhead, especially if you get off I-93 at Exit 32>112>116, which takes about 20 minutes to the TH. Note that there is a new trailhead for the MtK Trail, on 116 just south of where the former one by the NETCo garage was. Search this forum and you'll find detailed directions, pictures, commentary, the whole 9 yards on that relo.

Hi Bill, Thanks for the pictures. I think he'll do fine based on what he's seen on previous hikes. It helps to know that beyond the pond things are better too. BTW: I ran into you and Sheep on Mt. Willey back in mid-Feb. I was with a group from this VFTT (Scott, BobandGeri etc). Geri and I were resting on Willey waiting for the rest of the group. It was the day the SAR chopper was up on the Presis and found the missing Canadian couple... If you don't remember it's okay!

Waumbek, thank you too for the info. I will consider that route too. It seems like a nice traverse option...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys! I usually only take him to places I have been before that I know won't be challenge. All this info will help my wife worry a little less about our "fir-baby" running into trouble! :)

I just did the Mt. Kinsman route to North Kinsman for the second time, on Saturday. I've also taken Fishin' Jimmy up to the Kinsmans. I prefer the Mt. Kinsman route, and there's nothing that would be troublesome for dogs. However, if you take that route you might want to alter your plans a bit because you'd end up hitting the intersection of the Mt. Kinsman trail and the Kinsman Ridge trail in between Kinsman Pond shelter and the summits themselves. At that intersection you're just 0.4 miles to the North Kinsman summit so it wouldn't make much sense to hike down to Kinsman Pond and set up first, only to have to hike back up to get the summits. It's only about 2/10 of a mile to get back up to that junction, but it's a steep section. Perhaps if you go this route you can just unload some of the heavy stuff out of your pack and stash it in the woods, go do the summits, then pick up your stuff on the way back down to the pond.

There used to be a dog that lived at the old trailhead who would follow hikers up the mountain and then return to his house at the base. For a few years he followed me up every time I hiked there. It's definitely dog friendly.

And I can also verify Rowdy was the proud possessor of at least 1/2 half a ham sandwich and a few Cliff bar bites on cold winter day. His partner in crime had an equal haul. GREAT dogs.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone!

We ended up taking the Lonesome Lake Trail to the Fishin' Jimmy Trail. FJ was very rugged but Trooper handled it very well. If he were a year or two older I would not take the FJ given the level of athleticism it requires (jumping up on high rocks etc). He wagged his tail the whole way and was very eager (so much so I had to slow him down!).

He’s sleeping on the rug next to me right now… He’s pooped.

Not much finer than the vision of a dog-tired canine after a long day of hiking.

I realize this is a necro-thread, but wanted to bring it back up to the top to see if anyone had (1) any different ideas or (2) any recent (as of July/August 2011) experiences with unfavorable (to dogs) trail conditions on this route? Woof. ;)

I realize this is a necro-thread, but wanted to bring it back up to the top to see if anyone had (1) any different ideas or (2) any recent (as of July/August 2011) experiences with unfavorable (to dogs) trail conditions on this route? Woof. ;)

Nothing new to add except that the Mt Kinsman Trail from the West Side is really nice and now my preferred route to the Kinsmans. Its 100% trail-runnable for humans and extremely dog friendly. If you chose to go this route, definately take the short spur to Bald Knob. Great views.

Nothing new to add except that the Mt Kinsman Trail from the West Side is really nice and now my preferred route to the Kinsmans. Its 100% trail-runnable for humans and extremely dog friendly. If you chose to go this route, definately take the short spur to Bald Knob. Great views.

Thanks for the feedback. I've done the Kinsmans several times, but always from the east. That might be reason enough to try the western approach, and your comment about dog-friendliness is another reason to give it a try. Thanks!

Do note if you have an old guide that the trailhead was relocated south of the old trailhead (which was at the townline). The parking is now off a short dirt road. The other thing to note is that that there are wood ticks on that side of the mountain.