Good site!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
Hello - Been a member for a while but don't have much time to post. After spending some time in hell (Facebook) and leaving it, it's good to be reading hiking posts, trip reports and looking at hiking pics once again. Unfortunately, I don't get up to the Whites as often as I would like so I don't get in as much hiking as I used to. I'm also having knee problems which I am having fixed so I am hoping my hiking days are not over. My plan is to be back on the trails no matter what it takes. I'll also continue to read this board to get as much info and advice as possible. My thanks and gratitude to those who keep this site running.

Not sure if this is the correct place, but on the old site I could click a link to the newest unread post. Is there an equivalent here?

On the page with the threads click on the time shown on the right. It brings you to last post.

Several years ago, I did a 5-peak trip in the ADK with a guy who had one knee replaced and was going to have the other done also. Proper rehab will get people back out there!

So here's some knee ideas. Although it may hurt like hell, it may not be as bad as it feels. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees and it was more of an annoyance than a debilitating condition. Until 2022. I had bilateral inguinal hernias, which were finally dealt with in September. A few months prior to surgery and a couple months following I didn't do much. Then one November day it took me forever to get up Percival and my knees ached for days, so I finally went to the doctor, expecting him to say I was bone on bone and needed replacements. Diagnosis - the moderate side of mild. Did PT and was encouraged to keep up the exercises. My physical therapist mentioned that lack of my normal hiking may have lead to muscle weakness, which in turn stressed the joints. I would definitely see your doctor about it sooner rather than later.

So here's some knee ideas. Although it may hurt like hell, it may not be as bad as it feels. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees and it was more of an annoyance than a debilitating condition. Until 2022. I had bilateral inguinal hernias, which were finally dealt with in September. A few months prior to surgery and a couple months following I didn't do much. Then one November day it took me forever to get up Percival and my knees ached for days, so I finally went to the doctor, expecting him to say I was bone on bone and needed replacements. Diagnosis - the moderate side of mild. Did PT and was encouraged to keep up the exercises. My physical therapist mentioned that lack of my normal hiking may have lead to muscle weakness, which in turn stressed the joints. I would definitely see your doctor about it sooner rather than later.
Thanks. That's good info. I have a feeling it may not be as bad as it feels. I can still walk, with a little bit of a limp. With a knee brace I am able to work my legs at the gym just no squats. With the same brace I can do cycling (Spinning). I find if I sit for long periods of time, like I have to at work, then get up to walk that the pain is pretty bad and I am limping. Not to mention that my knee sounds like a Nestle's Crunch bar. With hiking I can go uphill with no problem since that is mostly all hamstrings and mine are strong. The issue is going downhill, the impact kills my knee and has forced me to stop hiking for the time being.

Yes, I have a doctor appointment in June and will be looking to get an MRI done and take it from there.