Good Thermos Bottle

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a Thermos bottle for hiking? I haven't carried one in years and didn't really care for the old one I had. I would imagine there are newer ultralight technologies out there with good insulating qualities. Also, how long do contents stay hot? I'd be packing mine before a 3-4 hour drive and probably another 3-4 hours of hiking before I ate/drank contents. Can I reasonably expect the contents to be hot after that long on a winter day or is that pushing it?

Hi Daytrip,

I don't have much experience with using a thermos on the trail, but here is what I can offer.

I have heard good things about Klean Kanteens thermos. It isn't terribly light but it should offer decent insulation with the double walled design. Have you tried using a Nalgene bottle inside of a designated insulation container. I can't recall exactly what different companies call these insulated water bottle holders but they do a decent job.

I am sure many people will have a lot more to offer. ;)

Z

photo.JPG

I use this stainless steel thermos from LL Bean, but they just stick their name on it. If you properly temper it (fill it with boiling water for ~5 minutes prior to your final beverage, it should last most of the day. Back around New Years, I had had hot soup 6-8 hours later on Passaconaway... For added insulation, put it in a heavy wool sock in the middle of your pack.

Note it is wrapped in duct tape for added grip in winter with mittens when cold out.

Tim

I have a one-liter stainless steel thermos from REI that's great for coffee, broth, etc. I preheat it, and it keeps drinks hot all day, without having to insulate it or stick it deep in the pack. Also a pint jug made by Stanley that has a wide mouth and is great for chunky soup, chili, noodle-bob, etc. It's about the same size and weight as the stove it replaced, and a whole lot more convenient!

L.L. Bean has changed their source for its vacuum thermos, so I can't comment on their current offering. That said, if you have any issues, you could always return it.

Their previous thermos was the Liquid Solutions Bullet 18, which is what I have. I've been very happy with. (I believe that Tim's is also the Liquid Solutions era L.L. Bean thermos.) It will definitely keep beverages hot all-day long, especially if you temper it as Tim & the instructions suggest. You can still get the Bullet 18 here: http://gearx.com/liquid-solutions-bullet-18oz-thermos.html.

Thanks for that link. Was a good discussion on the topic. It looked like a lot of people liked the Hydro Flask in that thread but no mention of it here. I went to website and their products seem well designed, comparably priced to others and they have a lifetime guarantee. Has anything changed with the company that people no longer recommend them? I have to admit I've used Kleen Kanteen products and don't like them and I'm probably the only person on the planet who has not had good experiences with LL Bean so I tend to avoid them (more so with their service and ordering process than the actual products themselves). And I am definitely OUT on that $190 bottle discussed in the old thread, no matter how well it works. I'll just pay a sherpa to follow me and build a fire to heat my soup at that point.

Any feedback on Hydro Flask would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have a 750ml from Walmart, Thermocafe, I believe. SS vacuum type which I paid about $10 for. I have seen similar at EMS and REI for three times the cost. They recommend pouring hot water in it and letting it sit for 5 mins or so before adding you beverage but I never do and never had a problem with anything getting cold. I sometimes have some left and it is still warm when I get it home and I am not someone who puts soup in that is scalding hot. My soup starts out luke warm and is luke warm when I need it. I just stick the thermos down the inside of my pack. No extra insulation.

L.L. Bean has changed their source for its vacuum thermos, so I can't comment on their current offering. That said, if you have any issues, you could always return it.

Why would you return it?

I recently got myself a 21oz. vacuum bottle made by Hydro Flask. Pretty light weight. These seem to be the latest "cool looking" insulted vacuum bottles available @ REI/EMS. They make all different sizes and shapes. www.hydroflask.com/

So far I'm satisfied.

Last edited: