Government shutdown...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Camping not allowed bc of govt shutdown???

So I was planning on camping at the Garfield tent site on Saturday and Sunday but I just saw on the AMC page that all backcountry sites are closed due to the government shutdown. Is this true??? Can I still camp there this weekend? Did I read this wrong?

It this is true them this whole situation is crazy. How can the govt deny someone to sleep on a platform in the woods!?!?

I would suggest Garfield Pond might be an option. It previously was a campsite 25 years ago. It is below treeline. It was closed as it is quite wet earlier in the year and was not located well. The old spur that connects up with the Garfield trail is still quite evident at one of the switchbacks on the Garfield trail. It is on the west side of the summit. I haven't been by there for several years. Long ago it was posted no camping but its not on any of the published lists.

Hmm, was there two significant road closures ? Zealand and Tripoli Road ( I assume they refer to camping along Zealand Road and Tripoli Road but feel free to read it

http://www.newhampshire.com/article/20131011/NEWHAMPSHIRE05/131019861

According to the campground owners association, the following will be open in the White Mountain National Forest:

• Hiking trails and roadside pull-offs.

• Kancamagus Highway.

• Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC): The AMC huts, AMC's Joe Dodge Lodge, AMC's Pinkham Notch Visitor Center, AMC's Highland Center and Cardigan Lodge.

• New Hampshire state parks and state park campgrounds

• Welcome centers and rest rooms operated by the state, chambers of commerce or other private entities.

• Forest Service roads, except for Tripoli Road and Zealand.

• The section of the Appalachian Trail in the White Mountain National Forest is open because it crosses national forest and state lands.

• The New England Trail.

Last edited:
Campgrounds in Gorham /Shelburne still open are Moose Brook SP, Timberlands, and White Birches. Dolly Copp is Closed, and I " presume" Barnes Field is closed also, although I have not driven in to check, as it operates under USFS use agreement.

Dolly Copp Picnic area is gated, Glen Ellis Falls parking area is gated.

This coming weekend is BOTH Columbus Day weekend, and Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. the circus continues.

Breeze .

While, as mentioned above, Skyline Drive in VA is closed, the Blue Ridge Parkway throughout its entire length is open although all facilities and services are closed (Restrooms, campgrounds etc.) UNLESS they are big money earners. The Mount Pisqua Inn and Country Store was open today and absolutely bursting at the seams.

I would suggest Garfield Pond might be an option. It previously was a campsite 25 years ago. It is below treeline. It was closed as it is quite wet earlier in the year and was not located well. The old spur that connects up with the Garfield trail is still quite evident at one of the switchbacks on the Garfield trail. It is on the west side of the summit. I haven't been by there for several years. Long ago it was posted no camping but its not on any of the published lists.
I stayed at the Garfield Ridge campsite last night; I'll turn myself in to the authorities tomorrow as I'm a little tired right now (a very large group of kids on nearby tent platforms kept me awake). There are some blowdowns on the "spur", one of them a little awkward, but I happened to do it yesterday and it's fine. The old shelter was removed more like 43 years ago, I think; that was actually the second shelter built at the Garfield Pond. Camping on the sites across the trail from the pond is quite legal, even some fairly duplicitous officials have long admitted that to me ("We treed in the one pad that was within 200 feet of the trail." I laughed at him as he was telling this fiction to some neophytes, but he's used to that from me and we still get along).

While, as mentioned above, Skyline Drive in VA is closed, the Blue Ridge Parkway throughout its entire length is open although all facilities and services are closed (Restrooms, campgrounds etc.) UNLESS they are big money earners. The Mount Pisqua Inn and Country Store was open today and absolutely bursting at the seams.

I just heard on Huckabee that the Mount Pisqua Inn had been closed. It would be interesting to know who, what, and how someone had the influence to get the place opened again. :)

I stayed at the Garfield Ridge campsite last night; I'll turn myself in to the authorities tomorrow as I'm a little tired right now

257490.jpg

Citizen's Arrest! Citizen's Arrest!

Acadia NP, the parking lots at trail heads are closed, but people are just parking along the roads and using the trails and carriage roads anyway - and there doesn't seem to be any effort being made to stop them. Oh, and bikers are making abundant use of the loop road.

The Federal government has taken yet another thing away during this lockdown. Apparently, starting on November 3rd, they've ordered that we have 1 hour less daylight in the afternoon. I, for one, am outraged.

When a large object like a ship is brought to a halt it takes a while. Does it take just as long to get back up to speed? I'm hiking this weekend (I hope). Location might depend on a few things being voted upon.

Any thoughts on how long it would take to be 80% (no need to be greedy).

Looks like we may have an end to this mess tonight. Shutdown over just in time for weekend? That'd be awesome.
I'm glad they're putting an end to this foolishness, or as Rocket21 would probably say:

NIP IT IN THE BUD!
hqdefault.jpg

Today Lauky and I were hiking the AT up near the North Carolina -- Georgia border. We met a young man heading south. He told us he had just come down through the Smokies. He said as he came to the park he knew he had a problem. He met up with some others hiking south and they decided to go for it. He told me they had the park to themselves except for a couple of spots like Clingman's Dome where there were a lot of tourists. The group heard stories of fines of up to $600 being levied. However, it seemed that the authorities were turning a blind eye to those on the AT and they passed through without any problem. He saw no signs telling you not to hike except for one that was posted at the southern end.