Happy Candlemas Day (AKA Groundhog day)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Phil the Pennsylvanian groundhog and his brethren is a surrogate for the European Badger (who was a surrogate for a bear) in attempting to predict spring. Ignoring the forecast for tomorrow, it looks like a fine winter day today. Incidentally its also half way through official winter.

Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow this morning, which supposedly means six more weeks of winter. But according to the Stormfax Almanac and NOAA, Phil has been correct only 39% of the time all time and 40% of the time over the past ten years, not surprisingly a much worse record than any NWS/NOAA ten-day weather forecast.

Reminds me of an old joke about a groundhog and basketball...:D

Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow this morning, which supposedly means six more weeks of winter. But according to the Stormfax Almanac and NOAA, Phil has been correct only 39% of the time all time and 40% of the time over the past ten years, not surprisingly a much worse record than any NWS/NOAA ten-day weather forecast.

But what about their 6 week weather forecast?:)

I don't trust rodents to divine the intricacies of complex long-term weather patterns. :D I do trust them to wreak havoc in my garden however.

Well, lets see, looking at the calendar, if Phil had not seen his shadow today, I count just about 6 1/2 weeks remain until the first day of spring. Either way, enjoy the season.

Apparently there is another spring prognosticating groundhog named Wally who has a 58% success rating; I am assuming that he lives where the sun shines more often than is the case in Pennsylvania.

Apparently there is another spring prognosticating groundhog named Wally who has a 58% success rating; I am assuming that he lives where the sun shines more often than is the case in Pennsylvania.

74E92F85-6E06-4B7F-818F-315314D8A579.jpeg Maybe Wally ran off with Phyliss.