Harvard Cabin?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
Are there 2 different Harvard Cabins? And if so what is the one at the base of Huntingtons Travine like? How much does it cost to stay there? Is it set up like Gray Knob? Do folks who are hiking Lion's Head stay there or is it specifically for ice climbers? How far a hike is it from Pinkham Notch? Thanks for the info . . .

sli74

Sli, Cost is $10/person/night to stay inside, with max occupancy of 16. It's located at the base of Huntingtons. The cabin is insulated and heated with a woodstove, plus has permanent cooking stoves. There are also some tent sites.
It is used mainly by iceclimbers, but it's open to all as far as I know. It's also only open in the winter.
Hope this helps.:D

http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/harvard_cabin.html

Last edited:
Earlier this year, the cabin was not opened due to lack of a caretaker. Does anyone know if that issue was resolved?

See this thread on the AMC bbs for the original announcement.

Edit: A note here implies they did find a caretaker and opened the cabin as of 12/12.

Last edited:
Seema -

The Harvard Cabin at the base of Huntingtons was CLOSED last time I checked. The AMC was having problems finding a caretaker to run the place. however, they said that if they did find a caretaker, that they would re-open the cabin. You might want to call Pinkham to check on the status.

If it is open, its a great place to stay. There is plenty of room in the cabin, a great water source right out back, and a little wood stove to throw off some heat before bedtime.

One note - given where the cabin is, you definitely want to treat or filter or boil that water. There are some places where I'll take chances with a spring (usually in the winter), but that is *not* one of them.

IMHO.
:D

NYBRAD said:
Cost is $10/person/night to stay inside...

It's also only open in the winter.

I've never stayed at Harvard Cabin, but according to this information from the AMC website, there appear to have been some changes in both season and cost. Accurate? Who knows, but as suggested in a previous post, a phone call will clear up any confusion.

Steve

Yes, there are TWO Harvard Cabins

There is the cabin up near Huntington Ravine which, I believe, is sometimes called the Harvard Mountaineering Club Cabin.

There is also a "Harvard Cabin" down on Route 16 about 5 miles south of Pinkham. I think it is owned by the Harvard Outing Club but leased to the AMC for a nominal amount. It is a much bigger facility with a full kitchen, running water, gas heater, electricity and a sleeping loft for 15 or more. In the AMC Outdoors you will usually see one or two listings every month for Harvard Cabin weekends that run Friday night to Sunday. It's a relatively cheap ($50) way to get meals, lodging and a couple of days of hiking in.

Last edited:
prices

The last time I stayed there, it was $7.50/person to camp there, $15 for indoors; stoves, gas, and cooking vessels supplied.

A phone call will clear up any confusion.

There is/was a sign up sheet in the basement at Pinkham, so you can tell if space is available there, for both tenting and inside space.

It is a little easier of a hike than to the Hermit lake Shelters, and the Lions Head Winter Route is closer to the Cabin than the Shelters. Around 2 hours for us 'Sweepers'.

jfb said:
Steve,

Your link is the "other" Harvard Cabin.

Oops. My wife keeps telling me I'm not as smart as I think I am. :rolleyes:

Don't tell her she's right. ;)

Steve

Steve,

Don't worry, happens all the time. By the way, the cabin in Huntington Ravine has a sign inside that says "Spur Cabin" but nobody ever calls it by that name and the HMC website shows a picture of the Ravine with the negative reversed.