Has anyone skiied Moosilauke this winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoma

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has done any of the 3 options of ski tours on Moosilauke this winter. Coverage is still thin, but there is finally enough that I think this could be decent. Wondering how far snowmobiles may have gone up the Carriage road, and what Gorge Brook or Carriage Trail to Snapper would be in.

Gorge to Carriage/Snapper isn't skiable yet - too many rocks, not enough snow. You'll be carrying over the summit as well.

You might have a passable ski down the Carriage Road if you don't turn too hard, but bring your rock skis. Lower down expect open stream crossings.

Thanks! sounds like a great trip

Ha - yeah - even when Cardigan is "bad", it's good. I was debating the Carriage Rd or Cardigan and decided on Cardigan because of proximity to where I rode in the morning (Ragged). I was surprised at how much snow Cardigan got.

Cardigan is a fabulous resource. I hiked in the spring (April) on a too wet to rock climb trip to Rumney. I was crying for skis.

Was hiking down the Carriage Rd. two weeks ago and met a skier who was skiing down near the Snapper Trail junction. I asked him he reached the summit and he indicated he did. I'm not sure if that meant he skied to the top.

He skied the Carriage Rd. up and down. There were rocks sticking out and the fact that we caught up to him while he was skiing down indicates to me it wasn't the best of conditions. That said, he said he was having fun and that the Carriage Rd. was going to get better for skiing after the Snapper Trail junction.

Was hiking down the Carriage Rd. two weeks ago and met a skier who was skiing down near the Snapper Trail junction. I asked him he reached the summit and he indicated he did. I'm not sure if that meant he skied to the top.

He skied the Carriage Rd. up and down. There were rocks sticking out and the fact that we caught up to him while he was skiing down indicates to me it wasn't the best of conditions. That said, he said he was having fun and that the Carriage Rd. was going to get better for skiing after the Snapper Trail junction.

thanks RR, that is very helpful. a lot of snow has fallen in 2 weeks so id say it might be worth checking out in another week or so

thanks RR, that is very helpful. a lot of snow has fallen in 2 weeks so id say it might be worth checking out in another week or so

I skinned/snowboarded the carriage road yesterday. I was surprised to see close to 20 skiers and snowboarders on their way down, apparently there was a Moosilauke bday ski party. It was skinnable to the summit with some open water stepovers in the first mile. I kept my skins on from the summit to the rock gate just below the Glencliff junction. I wouldn't say it was advisable as it was very boney with lots of rocks along the trail above treeline. The coverage is pretty decent in the trees on the upper mountain. It gets thinner and thinner below the Snapper--I definitely hit a few hidden rocks. I carried my board from Camp Misery Memorial Bridge to the car as it was too thin for my liking with the open hopovers. So in all I'd say it's definitely skiable with good snow up high. One more decent little storm should make it pretty solid.

Pat

I skinned/snowboarded the carriage road yesterday. I was surprised to see close to 20 skiers and snowboarders on their way down, apparently there was a Moosilauke bday ski party. It was skinnable to the summit with some open water stepovers in the first mile. I kept my skins on from the summit to the rock gate just below the Glencliff junction. I wouldn't say it was advisable as it was very boney with lots of rocks along the trail above treeline. The coverage is pretty decent in the trees on the upper mountain. It gets thinner and thinner below the Snapper--I definitely hit a few hidden rocks. I carried my board from Camp Misery Memorial Bridge to the car as it was too thin for my liking with the open hopovers. So in all I'd say it's definitely skiable with good snow up high. One more decent little storm should make it pretty solid.

Pat

A snowboard with climbing skins? Was this a split board or did you also carry skis?

I skinned/snowboarded the carriage road yesterday. So in all I'd say it's definitely skiable with good snow up high. One more decent little storm should make it pretty solid.

Pat

Thanks Pat, thats what I suspected based on recent coverage Ive seen all over the 4's this winter. Garfield will be in prime shape for a ski tour after another dumping as well.

A snowboard with climbing skins? Was this a split board or did you also carry skis?

Splitboard. For the first short tour of the year my legs shudder at the thought of carrying both skis and a snowboard. Well that and the fact that I've never skied a day in my life!