Haunted Campfire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
What's happening here; electrostatic discharge, wood nymphs, fire ghost ? I don't think I moved enough to cause that much "activity" with, maybe, sparks from the fire ?

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

What's happening here; electrostatic discharge, wood nymphs, fire ghost ? I don't think I moved enough to cause that much "activity" with, maybe, sparks from the fire ?
The burning fire is breaking down the wood, some is the stuff flying out from micro explosions and the rest is the stuff breaking off that is now light enough to be carried away by the thermal currents.

You sound pretty confident ;). I find the looping and spiraling patterns interesting. I thought it might be reflections from the smoke, as opposed to trails of particles (don't know how/why particles would loop and spiral, but you're saying they are now light enough to be part of the current).

Last edited:
You have the camera wide open (the fire is way overexposed) and the wiggly lines are burning particles (flying sparks).

The airflow in the smoke is turbulent--one would not expect to see straight paths. Next time you make a fire, try watching individual sparks.

Doug

I know this is an older thread, but here's a similar image I took a little over a year ago. Pretty obvious that the streaked lines above the fire are small embers getting carried aloft by the smoke...

dscn5429.jpg