Heads Carolina: Hiking to the Highpoints of NC and SC

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice shots! I like the one of Clingmans Dome from the summit of Mitchell. I had a work thing in Asheville four years back and had considered trying to work a trip to Mitchell into the agenda but it wasn't to be.

Nice shots! I like the one of Clingmans Dome from the summit of Mitchell. I had a work thing in Asheville four years back and had considered trying to work a trip to Mitchell into the agenda but it wasn't to be.
Thanks, Rnody!

If things works out just right, I’m hoping to get back down there this year for regular trail hikes of Clingmans Dome, TN and Brasstown Bald, GA. Summits still look the same as in 2004 but it would still be fun to summit a different kind of way!

That ridge is fantastic! (Black Crest Ridge Mountains I think). I've done two overnight trips down there. First time I went up Colbert Ridge Trail intending to do the whole ridge but there was a ton of ice and some snow which slowed me down so I lopped back after doing Potato Mt and Balsam Cone (it was still early in the year and still getting dark fairly early). I went back in OCT 2021 and went up Mount Mitchell Trail and worked back over Mt Craig and Big Tom before looping back. Foliage was near peak but color was somewhat muted by the humidity. Need to squeeze another trip in down there to do the Northern section. It is a fantastic ridge with a lot of variety. Well worth the drive.

I'll be hiking the Foothills Trail next month, and I'll pick up my eighth high point then. I'm not actively pursuing that list, but obviously I'm keeping track. And to be honest I did the Conn. and R.I. high points because they were high points, and in one case an interesting nearby hike, and in the other a quick stroll from a trailhead I was driving past anyway.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 84/115 (59/67, 23/46, 2/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 41/48; NEHH 89/100
LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

Oh man, great replies!

I’ve considered the southern 6Ks for 20 or so years and have Ron T’s Southern Sixers guidebook ,,, but the rubber has never hit the road. In a nutshell, my wife says, NO! Enough! LOL.

And, oh boy, I wish I could go back in time and have all of those state highpoints in front of me rather than in my rearview mirror! Greatest journey of my life.